IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Dustin should say I'll add the stroke but want to review it before I finish and sign.

This weird situation is on DJ not the USGA.

It's not fair to Lowry and others.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Dustin could have simply said "I must have caused it to move." Then added the stroke and moved on.

They can't take him to a video trailer in the middle of the round.

I believe he will be penalized.

Yeah ive never understood why these guys take practice strokes or swings so close to ball.Your playing with fire.If your not close to ball then you cant cause any ball movement.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Dustin could have simply said "I must have caused it to move." Then added the stroke and moved on.

They can't take him to a video trailer in the middle of the round.

I believe he will be penalized.

Unlike football where it's extremely difficult to see a ball with a much more difficult geometry pass something on a plane... a golf ball moving is essentially 2D, and the camera is RIGHT THERE. The fact they can't make a decision with having all the evidence in front of them that they'll ever be able to muster if my gripe. At this point, it's a PR ruling. If they were smart, they wouldn't award the penalty. Perhaps my naive opinion. But honestly this would make the folks they're trying to bring into the game... not interested.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

What makes this even more stupid is the fact that you don't take a penalty when you tee your ball up, address it and it falls off the tee. If that isn't a penalty than DJ shouldn't be penalized either. Happened to Zach yesterday.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Dustin should say I'll add the stroke but want to review it before I finish and sign.

This weird situation is on DJ not the USGA.

It's not fair to Lowry and others.

Yeah.  I really hope they've at least alerted the rest of the field.  

(Edit) And someone just said the other groups have been alerted.  And now Dustin hits a poor tee shot.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 minute ago, jkelley9 said:

Unlike football where it's extremely difficult to see a ball with a much more difficult geometry pass something on a plane... a golf ball moving is essentially 2D, and the camera is RIGHT THERE. The fact they can't make a decision with having all the evidence in front of them that they'll ever be able to muster if my gripe. At this point, it's a PR ruling. If they were smart, they wouldn't award the penalty. Perhaps my naive opinion. But honestly this would make the folks they're trying to bring into the game... not interested.

Completely agree.

1 minute ago, atb5079 said:

What makes this even more stupid is the fact that you don't take a penalty when you tee your ball up, address it and it falls off the tee. If that isn't a penalty than DJ shouldn't be penalized either. Happened to Zach yesterday.

In your example, the ball that moved isn't in play.  That's an important distinction. 

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 minute ago, Aflighter said:

Yeah ive never understood why these guys take practice strokes or swings so close to ball.Your playing with fire.If your not close to ball then you cant cause any ball movement.

Well, even if it causes the ball to move 1 outta 100 times its worth it if it helps their putting enough to otherwise gain more than 1 stroke per 100 putts.

Did they just say that Shane Lowry's wife is ranked #41 in the world?  What's he doing on TV when she's clearly one of the best?

-- Michael | My swing! 

Just now, Shindig said:

In your example, the ball that moved isn't in play.  That's an important distinction. 

Yeah I see what you mean.

And by PR, I meant the whole other audience (basketball) watching this in preparation for watching the game... they're all thinking "lol this is the dumbest game in the world..."

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I just hope this doesn't force a stupid 18 hole playoff tomorrow. Hope Lowry or someone beats him by 2 if thats the case.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure if Lowry's ball hanging up on the lip of the bunker is a good break or a bad one.

JD is running out of holes.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

They can't add it if DJ doesn't want to add it or discuss it.

IMO the only thing they could do is alert the scorers that is a penalty and let DJ defend himself to possibly change it (small chance) at the end of the round.

2 minutes ago, atb5079 said:

That ball is not in play. DJ's was.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It not only sounds like he has to declare he did not cause the ball to move, but also has to know with 100% certainty why it did move. That's absurd. It could be a heel print with the grass springing back up, or a dozen other influences...how is he supposed to know? Its a self policing game, if he said he did not cause it to move, and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise, you take the players word and move on. 

Instead of focusing on the actual golf, now all we get is this is it or isn't it a penalty talk. Way to drop a deuce on your biggest tournament USGA.

Edited by RichWW2

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

It not only sounds like he has to declare he did not cause the ball to move, but also has to know with 100% certainty why it did move. That's absurd. It could be a heel print with the grass springing back up, or a dozen other influences...how is he supposed to know? Its a self policing game, if he said he did not cause it to move, and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise, you take the players word and move on. 

No. There has to be proof he didn't cause it to move. Not the other way around. He was too close to get much benefit of doubt.

If DJ says the movement wasn't caused by addressing the ball or touching it while making a practice stroke, combined with the fact the TV replays are inconclusive at best, then that should be good enough for the USGA.

Can't imagine what the hell are they going to discuss afterwards?

Note: This thread is 2836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!