IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I'm DJ I hire an astrophysicist to prove that the position of the moon at the time of the putt was enough to move the ball on the stimp they set this tournament up for 

/sarcasm

• Upvote 1

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ChrisP said:

USGA screwed up big time telling him they may or may not assess him. Can't leave it hanging like that. Now you're opening it up for backlash either way.

I blame DJ. Accept the penalty and play on.

He doesn't know the rule. Go figure.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe IACAS can answer this because I really don't know...

So what is Westwood's authority on this situation? If the officials are basically going to call DJ out and give him a pointless benefit of the doubt, yet still penalize him, then what is the point to ask your playing partner their take? Does it have no merit?

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

This whole tournament is devolving into a fiasco.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Some more tweets:

And this one just made me laugh:

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

5 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I said yesterday that I was loving Foxs coverage.  Today, however, they are spending too much time showing them at the desk and talking when there is freaking golf being played.

Fox sucks and you can tell they're pulling for DJ

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

1 minute ago, Hazsa said:

Butch Harmon on Sky TV screaming out for someone from the USGA to come and explain exactly what the situation/ dispute is. He has a point, it might settle everyone down.

Well, someone from the USGA went to the FOX booth and did exactly that, Butch.  

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Tend to agree.  I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of their overall coverage, but just don't care for Joe Buck.  He just doesn't strike me as knowledgeable enough about golf...

Yes, it is an awful lot like his football coverage.

Just now, jamo said:

Me too, but I'd put that aside for a reason to use the term "oscillate-gate."

Yeah.  The exception I had in mind was Watergate (it was at the "Watergate" hotel), but I've also liked the use of it for the thing a few years ago where the Chargers had a TE who owned a rental property and the fence's opening wasn't wide enough for a wheelchair to go through, in violation of ADA compliance.  Gates'-gate's-gait-gate was amusing. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Jason Day isn't going to save us with an eagle-birdie finish.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

1 minute ago, atb5079 said:

So what is Westwood's authority on this situation? If the officials are basically going to call DJ out and give him a pointless benefit of the doubt, yet still penalize him, then what is the point to ask your playing partner their take? Does it have no merit?

I'm not Erik, but I think I know this.  As a witness, they can take his statement, same as any other witness.  He had a better position to see it than anyone else that isn't a camera.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 minute ago, Chilli Dipper said:

This whole tournament is devolving into a fiasco.

I was telling a friend that the USGA seems incapable of pulling off a tournament without a sh&tstorm

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Lowry misses that par putt on #14 and now we effectively have a three way tie. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Somebody is eventually going to win, right?

It might be Scott Piercy.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I blame DJ. Accept the penalty and play on.

He doesn't know the rule. Go figure.

Yup.  The tweets tend to show how a lot of players don't have a good understanding of some of the rules.

As they say, if you're gonna play the game (especially at that level), you've gotta know the rules.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

I was telling a friend that the USGA seems incapable of pulling off a tournament without a sh&tstorm

They pull off several each year.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A couple times, I've noticed that the ambient noise on the broadcast has dropped out, and the only audio that's coming through is the announcers. Very jarring to hear. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!