IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, question:  suppose you're in DJ's shoes and win by 2+ before the penalty is decided.  Do you take the penalty and the win anyway, or do you dispute it still?

DJ with a pretty darn good tee shot on #16.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

After the latest viewing of the close up video I think he shouldn't be penalized.

Therefore, in tandem with that, I'm of the opinion that the USGA is (or already has) screwing this up.

Hopwfully DJ wins by a couple to make it a moot point.

I think I'm leaning towards this. I just don't see anything on that replay that shows him moving the golf ball, and if he doesn't think he caused it to move, I don't see any reason to penalize him. 

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Just now, Shindig said:

Okay, question:  suppose you're in DJ's shoes and win by 2+ before the penalty is decided.  Do you take the penalty and the win anyway, or do you dispute it still?

Force the USGA to decide, they started this, they have to find a way out.

Did anyone select Scott Piercy in the prediction contest?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Is DJ in danger of double dipping on the penalties?

1 for "moving" the ball

and then again because he was told it wasn't a pen not replacing the ball in its original position? If he is judged to move the ball he has to replace it doesn't he?

It's been mentioned, but I wonder how aware the crowd is of the situation.  If he appears to win by a stroke, and the crowd goes wild, then....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

They should put an * next to his score....

Guaranteed FOX has this in their broadcast arsenal next tournament lol. Whether they'rell ever get to use it, or not.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Just now, Wansteadimp said:

1 for "moving" the ball

and then again because he was told it wasn't a pen not replacing the ball in its original position? If he is judged to move the ball he has to replace it doesn't he?

He asked a rules official, who told him to play from there, so they won't assess a penalty.  If he had unilaterally decided to play from there, it's a problem.  The question of it might have been why he called someone over. 

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Just now, Wansteadimp said:

1 for "moving" the ball

No, because he consulted the rules official.  He can't be penalized for doing what he was told to do.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just now, ChrisP said:

If he pars this, he has a tough decision to make on 17.

Drive the green with a 4-iron or a 3-iron?

-- Michael | My swing! 

Amazingly, Jim Furyk still leads in the clubhouse, and a 1-under playoff remains a possibility.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

It's been mentioned, but I wonder how aware the crowd is of the situation.  If he appears to win by a stroke, and the crowd goes wild, then....

I saw some tweets saying that a lot of people on-site are buried in their phones. A lot probably know. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 minutes ago, RJH999 said:

You all need to hurry up so I can watch my Warriors.

Shane Lowry is eating so he's about to make a birdie or two.

How much troll would the NBA be if Steph hit a "3" to win it by 1 and then they call him and Kerr over after they hoist the trophy and the fans leave and tell them it was a 2 pointer?

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

So, do we just notice it because it's DJ, or does he somehow find himself in these situations a lot more than most people?

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 2835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!