IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Bunker left of 15 looks almost the same as the famous church pews but they don't see to talk about it the same.

Yeah. They're the "other" church pews. Not nearly as big.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah. They're the "other" church pews. Not nearly as big.

The last time the Open was held at Oakmont, commentators referred to those as the "Mini Church Pews."

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

The first time I played Oakmont I landed in the church pews on No. 3.  They're not deep, so they deceive you a bit.  I though I could get a 7 iron out and ended up in the thick grass in the pews.  Not a pretty lie and stance.  I did manage to get out, and get up and down in three from about 120 yards.  Get up and down in three from 120 sounds a bit ridiculous to be proud of unless you've played the approach shot to No. 3.

Edited by Aguirre
  • Upvote 1

"Witty golf quote."

14 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Par 3s are never played to their maximum distances in any case, just to preserve the tee boxes. If the pin is tucked in front one day, the tee will be up. If it rains one day, the tee will be up. The 288 tee will be used twice, at most.

Don't think they'll be worrying about preserving the tee boxes,it's the US Open.

9 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I heard the host on PGA Tour XM ripping Jordan because he said during a US Open interview that he didn't enjoying signing autographs for eBay sellers.  The host felt it was insensitive of Jordan to not want to sign memorabilia for someone who intended to sell the item because that could be how that person makes a living.  

I sat in my car shaking my head that this is the level of entitlement our country has reached.  We now have radio hosts that expect professional athletes to waste their timing signing things for non fans, who just want to make a buck, because those people are entitled to make a living.  

Pathetic isn't it.

Latest odds from bet365.

Day 13/2 Mcilroy 15/2 Speef 10/1 DJ 14/1  Phil and Rosie 28/1

Some decent outsiders IMHO, Kuchar 40/1, Furyk 90/1,Fitzpatrick 70/1

Edited by Scotsclaff

7 hours ago, Aguirre said:

The first time I played Oakmont I landed in the church pews on No. 3.  They're not deep, so they deceive you a bit.  I though I could get a 7 iron out and ended up in the thick grass in the pews.  Not a pretty lie and stance.  I did manage to get out, and get up and down in three from about 120 yards.  Get up and down in three from 120 sounds a bit ridiculous to be proud of unless you've played the approach shot to No. 3.

The stance is what would trouble me the most. Thanks for the description.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, Ric said:

US Open at Oakmont, one of the toughest golf courses in the world. See this Article on the 17th Hole: http://hubpages.com/sports/Drive-for-Show-Putt-for-Double-Bogey-The-17th-Hole-At-Oakmont-at-The-US-Open
Jordan Spieth is the man since he's an amazing putter. Jason Day is ranked first in stats in putting but he'll put his long drives into the deep deep rough. Watch Danny Lee, Brian Harman and Harris English too!

Spieth isn't exactly the straightest driver in the world, either. If this tournament turns into a fairway-hitting contest, expect a winner outside of the world top five.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

4 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Spieth isn't exactly the straightest driver in the world, either. If this tournament turns into a fairway-hitting contest, expect a winner outside of the world top five.

I agree, as I said earlier, it will be the guy who can drive it the longest and keep it on the fairway.  I'm sure the big hitters will swing away and take some early chances with the rough.  If they can make a decent 2nd shot they'll keep bombing it but if they can't get a club on the ball they will struggle or switch to a 3W or less off the tee.  

Joe Paradiso

17 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

True but he can scramble as good as anyone. What may hurt  Spieth more than anything is the weather. I think the tougher the conditions, the better Spieth will do. He does best when the greens are like lightning. If it softens, I think it brings more people into play and you're looking at more of an under par Open. He drove it well at Colonial so if he can drive like that, he'll be fine.

Me personally, I really like Day and DJ this week. And I already put my money where my mouth is. Sleepers are Snedeker and Koepka.

Edited by ChrisP

13 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

8 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I agree, as I said earlier, it will be the guy who can drive it the longest and keep it on the fairway.  I'm sure the big hitters will swing away and take some early chances with the rough.  If they can make a decent 2nd shot they'll keep bombing it but if they can't get a club on the ball they will struggle or switch to a 3W or less off the tee.  

Guys are gonna miss fairways either way, the ones that are closer to the green when they do are going to have an advantage coming out of the rough. Statistically, the fairways hit number only increases a fraction when reducing distance by, say, 30 yards. In other words, they may hit 1-2 more fairways switching to 3W but they'll be 30 yards further away on every approach shot, my guess is that's more costly. 

• Upvote 2

- Mark

Less than a day till it starts!!

(I don't have anything much else to add but I'm going to keep bumping this thread for the next several hours just to put it atop the President and Orlando massacre threads.  By this time tomorrow, I won't have to worry about it anymore. ;)) 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Less than a day till it starts!!

(I don't have anything much else to add but I'm going to keep bumping this thread for the next several hours just to put it atop the President and Orlando massacre threads.  By this time tomorrow, I won't have to worry about it anymore. ;)) 

Amen to that. This is a golf forum, not a water cooler forum. Tired of seeing so many unpleasant non-golf topics.

Bubba righty:

Some of McIlroy's practice round

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Amen to that. This is a golf forum, not a water cooler forum. Tired of seeing so many unpleasant non-golf topics.

Bubba righty:

Some of McIlroy's practice round

I'm very untrusting of Internet videos apparently.  First thing I did was look at Reeds hat to make sure the writing wasn't backwards. ;)

I thought I made good sleeper pics (Kaymer and Webb - past champions) but reading some stories that are picking other good names I hadn't thought of for sleepers ... Namely Snedeker and Haas.

Kind of interesting (but mostly filler) article about how tough Oakmont is: http://www.pgatour.com/long-form/2016/06/14/oakmont-us-open-toughest-test.html

I think all professional courses should be tough, but some of the things I've been seeing make the course sound unnecessarily punitive.  

I saw either at usga.org or pgatour.com that the total purse was $10,000,000.  That could be a mistake but if it isn't, where's the USGA get that kind of dough!?

• Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I think this is going to be a good tournament regardless of the Fox coverage. I am looking forward to it. Plus it ends on Father's Day so I get to chose to plant my butt down and watch it. :-P

I just hope they show more full swing and short game and less putting. Showing putting is dull IMO.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 minutes ago, krupa said:

Kind of interesting (but mostly filler) article about how tough Oakmont is: http://www.pgatour.com/long-form/2016/06/14/oakmont-us-open-toughest-test.html

I think all professional courses should be tough, but some of the things I've been seeing make the course sound unnecessarily punitive.  

I saw either at usga.org or pgatour.com that the total purse was $10,000,000.  That could be a mistake but if it isn't, where's the USGA get that kind of dough!?

Nice article, thanks.  Fascinating that they say the course was made much harder by the removal of the trees.  I would have assumed the opposite. 

13 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I think this is going to be a good tournament regardless of the Fox coverage. I am looking forward to it. Plus it ends on Father's Day so I get to chose to plant my butt down and watch it. :-P

I just hope they show more full swing and short game and less putting. Showing putting is dull IMO.

Yup, me too!!! (After taking the family to the driving range in the morning) :beer:

Time for some fashion: http://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/2016-us-open-style-preview?mbid=social_facebook

The Adidas guys all look pretty sharp, but my vote goes to Webb Simpson ... that is assuming I can shrink the Izod font size down by about 3/4. :-P

And I am almost afraid to ask what is on Horschel's Friday pants.  Are those dice?

Not a father but Saturday is my birthday and I just got some good news at work so I will definitely be rooted in front of the TV for the final day.  Looks like FOX will be airing coverage Thursday and Friday evenings as well.  

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Time for some fashion: http://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/2016-us-open-style-preview?mbid=social_facebook

The Adidas guys all look pretty sharp, but my vote goes to Webb Simpson ... that is assuming I can shrink the Izod font size down by about 3/4. :-P

And I am almost afraid to ask what is on Horschel's Friday pants.  Are those dice?

I thought only the big names were small children... I mean, had their clothes picked out for them.  Now I need to become world #1 so I could have the "will dress myself, thank you very much" clause in all my endorsement deals.

• Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 2808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!