Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nevets88

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

Note: This thread is 1125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1,307 posts / 63009 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Mike85 said:

As an Irish man I havent felt this good watching a golf tournament since 2007 when Harrington won the Open.

Ill be hoping for less drama tonight and for Shane to walk this one in! Couldn't happen to nicer bloke.

Seemed Supremely confident in his post round interview. Hopefully steps up to the first with the same confidence!

He just needs to play steady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I wish Lowry well. If it weren't for a ticket I've got on Dustin Johnson, I'd be rooting for him. Irishmen are some of the best people you'll ever meet and he seems like a really good guy....and he's a solid player.

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I wish Lowry well. If it weren't for a ticket I've got on Dustin Johnson, I'd be rooting for him. Irishmen are some of the best people you'll ever meet and he seems like a really good guy....and he's a solid player.

Same here, only swap DJ for Branden Grace. (I want that pushcart!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pumaAttack said:

Are you saying you would rather have a 1 stroke lead over a 10 stroke lead?!

Yeah.  How do you play with a 10 stroke lead?  You don't even know when to go for it or anything.  But I guess I'd rather a 10 stroke lead and pretend it's 3 or something, and have a 7 shot buffer zone. 

49 minutes ago, Mike85 said:

As an Irish man I havent felt this good watching a golf tournament since 2007 when Harrington won the Open.

Ill be hoping for less drama tonight and for Shane to walk this one in! Couldn't happen to nicer bloke.

Seemed Supremely confident in his post round interview. Hopefully steps up to the first with the same confidence!

How about in 2008 when he won two more majors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Yeah.  How do you play with a 10 stroke lead?  You don't even know when to go for it or anything.  But I guess I'd rather a 10 stroke lead and pretend it's 3 or something, and have a 7 shot buffer zone. 

How about in 2008 when he won two more majors?

Lololol...

No way any PGA player takes a one shot lead over a 10 shot lead going into the final round of a major. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, pumaAttack said:

Lololol...

No way any PGA player takes a one shot lead over a 10 shot lead going into the final round of a major. 

Yeah.  For those wondering, it wasn't a serious suggestion on my part.  I could see it causing someone to play overly conservative, but even a PGA TOUR player playing overly conservative wouldn't overshadow the 10 shot lead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Shindig said:

How about in 2008 when he won two more majors?

Ah I was used to it at that stage:-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much for my bets,nearly all down the swanny except for Sergio,need a top six finish from him to get me money back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With my guys out of it, I'll be pulling for DJ, Sergio, or Westwood to get their 1st major.  Golf gods need to pay off one of these great veterans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Gunther said:

With my guys out of it, I'll be pulling for DJ, Sergio, or Westwood to get their 1st major.  Golf gods need to pay off one of these great veterans.

Yup, same here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm pretty impressed with the improvements Fox made to their coverage.  Only complaint I have is the same as many pointed out, the audio quality is poor.   The sometimes awkward segments with Holly even seem better than last year.  

Lowry didn't have to sleep on a big lead so I wonder if that will work in his favor.  There are a few guys that can chase him down without him messing up too badly but for the finish to be really exciting he's going to have to drop 3 or 4 strokes on the front nine.  I'd like to see DJ, Sergio, Day, Westwood and Bryson all fighting it out with Lowry on the final 4 - 5 holes.  

Should be an exciting final round, Happy Fathers Day everyone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I'm pretty impressed with the improvements Fox made to their coverage.  Only complaint I have is the same as many pointed out, the audio quality is poor.   The sometimes awkward segments with Holly even seem better than last year.  

Lowry didn't have to sleep on a big lead so I wonder if that will work in his favor.  There are a few guys that can chase him down without him messing up too badly but for the finish to be really exciting he's going to have to drop 3 or 4 strokes on the front nine.  I'd like to see DJ, Sergio, Day, Westwood and Bryson all fighting it out with Lowry on the final 4 - 5 holes.  

Should be an exciting final round, Happy Fathers Day everyone.  

Yeah, I don't think they're doing bad. I still think Buck is having a hard time transitioning from football/baseball to golf and I've never been big on Strange, but the rest of the crew has been fine. I like O'Donoghue a lot and love Ken Brown. Don't mind Azinger. Love some of the new technology they've put in place this year. Some here criticize the talent on their channel, but they don't understand a network that only covers one event a year isn't going to bring in the best talent. They have to do the best with what they can get and I think Fox has done that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I was watching the Open I began to wonder what distance the regular members at Oakmont play these holes at - I would think it would be impossible to find a membership of some 500 players that are all tour-quality young bucks that hit it 300+ off each tee.  So looking at hole yardages as posted on the Oakmont Club website (nice site I might add) here are the yardages for each of the holes from the White Members tees:  423,317,378,504,347,152,357,209,459 (9 is played as a par 5 for members) 3146 front nine; 436,307,550,139,332,428,189,276,420  3077;  6223 yards total

Not saying that the course would be all that much easier because the green speed and undulations, the effect of the rolling terrain and the amount of hazards on the course are all significant factors in making the course a tough test - but it does seem like a decent 10 handicapper might be able to at least make a few pars on the course if they could keep it straight and get some easy pin positions that might allow them to make a few putts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Lowry didn't have to sleep on a big lead so I wonder if that will work in his favor.  There are a few guys that can chase him down without him messing up too badly but for the finish to be really exciting he's going to have to drop 3 or 4 strokes on the front nine.  I'd like to see DJ, Sergio, Day, Westwood and Bryson all fighting it out with Lowry on the final 4 - 5 holes.  

Should be an exciting final round, Happy Fathers Day everyone.  

If I was looking for cracks in Lowry's armor, my concern would be that he's a big guy, and he played 32 holes yesterday. Is he fit enough to hold this level of play for 18 more holes against golfers with better athletic conditioning, or golfers who finished their third round yesterday, and didn't have to be back on course at the crack of dawn this morning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Just shows you what a few inches of rain can do.

Not for my game.

It's usually makes it worse.

:-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If Landry wins, is it the biggest upset in the history of major championship golf? Would be up there with Paul Dunne if he could have closed it out in the last round last year at St. Andrews.

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's the rain but oakmont doesn't look all that hard.  Hard, yes.  The hardest golf course in America?  Not even close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

If Landry wins, is it the biggest upset in the history of major championship golf? Would be up there with Paul Dunne if he could have closed it out in the last round last year at St. Andrews.

It would be the biggest upset since the start of the world rankings, at least. Landry is currently the 624th-ranked golfer in the world; Ben Curtis, ranked 396th when he won the 2003 Open Championship, is the only major winner since 1986 who entered the tournament outside the world top 200. There has never been a U.S. Open champion ranked outside the top 100 in the world since the rankings began.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 1125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...