IGNORED

Bent Wrist at the Top

Note: This thread is 1759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In order to keep a square clubface throughout my swing, I was told that I need to have more bend in my right wrist at the top.  I was flat at the top in the right.  Can someone explain to me what that means and how to get there?  Is it simply add bend in the wrist at the top or is it something that occurs as a result of something I did earlier in the swing?  Every time I try to do it, it seems extremely unnatural and makes my swing feel very rigid and forced. Can someone shed some light?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, zimmerbz said:

In order to keep a square clubface throughout my swing, I was told that I need to have more bend in my right wrist at the top.  I was flat at the top in the right.  Can someone explain to me what that means and how to get there?  Is it simply add bend in the wrist at the top or is it something that occurs as a result of something I did earlier in the swing?  Every time I try to do it, it seems extremely unnatural and makes my swing feel very rigid and forced. Can someone shed some light?  Thanks!

An easier way to remember is to keep your lead wrist flat. This will kind of force the trailing wrist to bend at the appropriate angle. It might also feel "limiting", but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Most people tend to over swing anyway.

Post some pictures of your wrists and it will be easier to see.

If you can post a DTL swing video that might help some of the more experienced folks on this site to help you.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Positions at the top of the swing can vary greatly. I don't think you will find much commonalities at the top of the swing. There could "recommendations" but no hard a set position. Keegan on the left has a radial deviation of his left wrist and JB on the right is closer to ulnar deviated. Dustin Johnson is ulnar deviated the most. Relatively less pros radial deviate but it can happen. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 9.36.11 AM.png

When discussing the wrist we should use biometrical terms like radial/ulnar deviation rather than bent/flat. 

1 hour ago, mchepp said:

Positions at the top of the swing can vary greatly. I don't think you will find much commonalities at the top of the swing. There could "recommendations" but no hard a set position. Keegan on the left has a radial deviation of his left wrist and JB on the right is closer to ulnar deviated. Dustin Johnson is ulnar deviated the most. Relatively less pros radial deviate but it can happen. 

When discussing the wrist we should use biometrical terms like radial/ulnar deviation rather than bent/flat. 

How about the supination/pronation in the wrist as well as the palmar flexion and dorsar flexion?

Should everything ideally be neutral?

24 minutes ago, Lihu said:

How about the supination/pronation in the wrist as well as the palmar flexion and dorsar flexion?

Yes, also a component. 

25 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Should everything ideally be neutral?

I guess, but it is not a commonality. For example there is no key dedicated to your wrist condition. 

I think what these science nerds are trying to say is what your wrist does at the top of the backswing is a helluva lot less important than what it does at impact.    If whatever you're doing at the top helps you get a flat left wrist at impact, it's all good.  I believe the original name for Key #3, inline impact was "flat left wrist" or something like that. 

As far as movements around the wrist are concerned, we know there are a couple of those:

1. Before starting back swing, there is waggle which I think involve the wrist movement;

2. Apply cocking to the wrist;

3. At the top of back swing, apply even more bend which is the topic of this post.

I saw many world- leading Pro golfers including men and women who even do not maintain flat level at the top of back swing, yet generate great power.

So, if the goal is to maintain the square club face through out the swing (I really like this post because author zimmerbz is really sending the right message), then I would say that we need to minimize the movement/turning of wrist (if possible, no movement at all around the wrist), yet carry enough power right before the impact.   I am not support 1 above and support only just a little to 2 and 3 above.  I think we can form the handle (at the addressing right before the back swing) with relatively firm wrist and maintain the square face throughout the swing (a.k.a. swing journey from addressing to backswing to the top to downswing to impact with right swing path and finally to the Finish like SoaringEagle).  

Thanks.

On 5/3/2016 at 0:41 PM, mchepp said:

That would be fine if we were all biometricians.

But isn't the goal to deliver the club head square at impact with your weight transferring forward, and hitting the ball to target? Does it really matter how much the wrist is bent if you get there?

Fred%20Couples_zps3lny8enf.jpg

Note: This thread is 1759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!