IGNORED

Big money ruling Hawaii Golf now?

Note: This thread is 2847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You guys are making me want to watch The Descendants again. :-)

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• 3 weeks later...

Ellison completely changed the character of Lanai.  I lived on Oahu from 2010-2013 (military).  My wife and I took our first trip to Lanai in Jan 2011 and never wanted to vacation on any other island after that.  We went back six times over the next 2-1/2 years, always staying at the Lodge.  Lanai was a sleepy place, cool enough at night that you could actually wear a sweater and build a fire.  It always seemed like we had the resort to ourselves.  We'd take the shuttle during the day down to the Manele Bay resort and lounge by the pool and drink yummy boat drinks.  We typically paid around $180/night for rooms at the Lodge.  Golf was about $80/round, but the courses were never crowded and play was quick.  It was by no means cheap, but definitely something within reach for a long weekend to experience a level of luxury that most people would never experience.

Then Ellison bought it.

Now the kama'aina rate is over $400.  You can no longer use the Manele Bay pool facilities if you're staying at the Lodge.  There was talk about closing The Experience or making it private.  He's reshaped it as an exclusive destination for people who spend $10-20k on a week-long vacation.  I just can't see how the value could possibly have tripled in 3 years, but the price certainly did.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I remember going to Lanaii with some golf buddies just after the Manele Bay course opened in 1996 (the pro shop was a trailer).  We stayed at the Hotel Lanaii for about $100 a night with each of us having our own room.  Guests at Hotel Lanaii could use the pools and facilities at either Koele Lodge or Manele Bay Hotel, paid  a one-time fee of $20 for use of the shuttle between all three hotels and we paid something like $75 for green fees at Koele and Manele courses.

Now its a Four Seasons at the two big hotels with $700 a night rooms, $200 green fees for Manele Bay golf and not even sure what arrangement (if any) Hotel Lanaii has with the other hotels.

Will say this - no other island (except maybe Molokai) offers the opportunity to really get away from civilization like Lanaii does with their jeep treks on dirt roads over a good part of what is a very interesting island.

I love Lanai, and will move there in my later years. Is what Ellison doing good? Well the people I talk to over there are happier than when Murdock owned the 90 some odd %. I do remember when each course opened. Manele was Christmas Day either 95 or 96 (from memory) and Koele offered a 4 play card for $150. We bought, and enjoyed The Lodge and course on many visits. 

We are giving it a year to see where the daily rate for the Manele Bay hotel goes and also what will become of The Lodge at Koele and The Experience course. We'll go over next month, hang with mom and see things first hand.

Back when the plantation was running the Island was 1 big family. I'm glad I was able to spend time on island then; how that island has changed over the last 25 years is incredible. 

Well it's Maui next week. Have fun!

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I'm on Maui right now - tee time at Kapalua Bay course is a mere 10 hours away.  Can't wait!!!

No rain in the forecast and winds around 15 MPH.  You hit the jackpot!!

• Upvote 1

Kevin

4 hours ago, k-troop said:

No rain in the forecast and winds around 15 MPH.  You hit the jackpot!!

Thanks!  I was quite surprised to learn the other day just how little rain much of the west/southwest coast of Maui actually gets.  Not Kapalua, but Kaanapali (where we're staying) and Lahaina and on down. (Something like <20 inches a year!)

https://goo.gl/images/wl0xZU 

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

Thanks!  I was quite surprised to learn the other day just how little rain much of the west/southwest coast of Maui actually gets.  Not Kapalua, but Kaanapali (where we're staying) and Lahaina and on down.wl0xZU

Yeah I guess I can't speak to how much rain they get there, but every time I've been on that property the wind was blowing over 30.  And the 2013/14 event (can't remember which) is the only professional golf event I've ever hear of being suspended due to wind. 

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Hope the game went great! The webcam looked beautiful. 

K Troop it just hit me that your foto is from the Challenge, 17th Nice looking shot, hope you made it. My nephew was a starter for many years there, so we played it just about every time we went over and I've camped down on that beach many nights.

looking forward to next week on Maui.

aloha,

iSank

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, iSank said:

Hope the game went great! The webcam looked beautiful. 

K Troop it just hit me that your foto is from the Challenge, 17th Nice looking shot, hope you made it. My nephew was a starter for many years there, so we played it just about every time we went over and I've camped down on that beach many nights.

looking forward to next week on Maui.

aloha,

iSank

It is! That place is special to me. They met my daughter when she was still in the womb, then watched her grow up over 5 more visits in 3 years. They always remembered us, even in 2013 when things started to change. 

• Upvote 1

Kevin

20 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I'm on Maui right now - tee time at Kapalua Bay course is a mere 10 hours away.  Can't wait!!!

Had a great time.  Course is gorgeous!  Stumbled a tad coming home with a double on 17, didn't make any putts, and still managed an 81.

I have photos, but I don't think my phone will allow me to post them.

Sunday morning, Plantstion course!!! :)

14 hours ago, k-troop said:

It is! That place is special to me. They met my daughter when she was still in the womb, then watched her grow up over 5 more visits in 3 years. They always remembered us, even in 2013 when things started to change. 

That's very cool.

We'll be on the Plantation course a week from Sunday, have fun! They told me I have to wait till 4 days prior to get the local rate. Kaanapali ended up being half of the guest rate so it's worth it even though Maui does get busy at times. 

We're playing the Prince course today, here's to keeping the same ball in play.

iSank

• Upvote 1

On June 24, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Golfingdad said:

Had a great time.  Course is gorgeous!  Stumbled a tad coming home with a double on 17, didn't make any putts, and still managed an 81.

I have photos, but I don't think my phone will allow me to post them.

Sunday morning, Plantstion course!!! :)

Plantation course was amazing.  I played the Championship/Regular combo tees, and even those were the hardest rated I've ever played.  Highlights of the day were a 12" putt for birdie on 1, and a pair of shots on 18 from the back tees (still up from the pros location though) that left me with what would have been a 15' eagle putt with the back left Sunday pin. Unfortunately, it was front right and I 3 putted for par.

Pics to come soon.

• Upvote 1

On June 26, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Golfingdad said:

Plantation course was amazing. 

Pics to come soon.

Agreed, we played today and had a fantastic time. The staff was great and that course is so much fun. It's the first time I played it where I didn't feel like I got mugged. From LSW I kept telling myself hit the best shot you can make, and with that I played the same ball until the 14th. Not a difficult hole but the neighbors yard seemed to be where my ball wanted to retire.

Thinking about the OP, here's a couple thoughts. We were playing the top Kauai courses, and Kapalua for fairly reasonable rates until the Four Seasons Hualalai opened. I remember when we checked in and saw the $250 each, we had a little bit of sticker shock. Then others seemed to believe the market would support such prices, and maybe they are right.  Kamaaina rates was $75 for Royal Kaanapali and we payed $99 each at the Planatation. 

Another thought is Hawaii, and especially the outer Islands ( not Oahu) things are more expensive. You may see the ads where everything from subway sandwiches to automobiles have the small print saying "not valid in Alaska or Hawaii". We always notice it when we come to Maui, there's like an automatic 20% jump in prices. 

And lastly, I don't care what the bureau of labor statistics says in their CPI, prices have gone up over the last decade and significantly so.

well it has been a lovely day. Playing Kahili Golf course tomorrow, after we read the DOI and remember what July 4th is about.

Aloha,

iSank

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!