IGNORED

What's the Longest Par 5 You've Played?

Pretzel
Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

597 yards.  As a kid growing up in Lansing, MI, we'd get dropped off at a local 9-hole muni about 10am.  We'd play until dinner time, or until we ran out of golf balls. The par-5 #7 ran the length of the entire east edge of the golf course property.  Who knows how many shots it took a bunch of 12-14 year old kids to reach the green.  Probably 5 or 6?  Honestly do not recall a par ever being made by any of us on that hole.

dave  

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

610-ish for me at Talega, #13.  It's gimmicky though because you can't hit driver (many times, not even 3W) off the tee.  Makes it that much longer.

Desert Canyon Golf Resort in Washington state has a hole that is 690 yards from the tips.  Going left puts you in a ravine.  Don't remember what I scored when I played it, but I'm sure it wasn't pretty.
20130502_1718111.jpg

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Fall River Valley Golf & CC:  3rd hole is 672 (flat) and the 14th is 616 (flat, with a slight drop to the green).  Elevation is 3,300' so not much help.  I usually play the blues, however, which are 642 and 558, respectively. 

The longest hole I've played is the 668 yard 1st at Hollybrook but that's a par 6 on the card.

To answer the OP question the longest par 5 I've actually played is the 13th (12th at that time) at Catatonk, but that's only 561. When @krupa, @colin007, @RFKFREAK and I play CPC in July the Sixth is 612 yards from the blue tees.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

9 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I'm curious to hear from everyone what the longest par five they've ever played was.

For me the longest par 5 would have to be the 15th hole at Colorado National Golf Club, which measures 697 yards from the back tees they use for tournaments. It's also the only hole I know of that has three distinct fairways. Luckily it is downhill, but it gets really nasty if it ever plays into the wind.

The design of the hole is straightforward, since the challenge of it is meant to come solely from the length rather than a choice you may have to make. The second fairway on the right, the smallest one, is actually about 15 feet lower than the fairway on the left, meaning you end up with a nasty sidehill lie if you hit it in between the two fairways (the only time "splitting the fairway/s" isn't a good thing!).

Hole 15 Aerial View.jpg

That's the longest par 5 I've played as well. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I played a 644 yard Par 6 at Cherry Creek Golf Links in Riverhead, NY.  It's the 18th hole and the day we played the course, it was about 95* and 90% humidity.  We were all tired and sweaty by the time we got to it so it just seemed sadistic even though it was a par 6.  

I've played this one a few times, but never in heat like that. The nice thing is that it's actually a pretty straight forward hole. Getting there in 3 isn't particularly challenging.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

550 yds from the whites. It was not fun. I made a snowman.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

620, the 18th hole at Mercer Oaks East

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

course just up the road from me, Gedney Hills near Peterborough has the longest par 5 in the country (England) measuring 670 yards. Never Birdied it. Last time I played it I went driver, 3 hybrid, 3 hybrid and was pin high.

Edited by MizunoPez

• Administrator

666 at nearly sea level. I forget where, I do remember thinking it was odd that it was listed as 666 and not "665" or "667" or something… and it was nearly level.

I remember hitting a great drive, a good 3-wood, and… still having a full 8- or 9-iron in.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

666 at nearly sea level. I forget where, I do remember thinking it was odd that it was listed as 666 and not "665" or "667" or something… and it was nearly level.

I remember hitting a great drive, a good 3-wood, and… still having a full 8- or 9-iron in.

There's a par 5 at TPC Boston that's listed as exactly 600 yards from the tips. I always find the kind of goofy to read (though for less sinister reasons than 666).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

A local course here has a 670 yard par 5 from the back tees. It's 245 yards to clear the creek that runs in front of the fairway.  

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!