IGNORED

WWYD: The case of the oblivious golfer

bmartin461
Note: This thread is 2905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like the oblivious old man walking through the crowd analogy. You can try to trip him or something to wake him out of daytime reverie like @SavvySwede's suggestion of taking the key out of the cart but really, whatever.., flick the bugger of the sleeve and move on.

I also wonder if he knows exactly what effect this has on the 'victim' but thinks it will be no big deal and they will get over it eventually.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, gregsandiego said:

BTW a couple of you guys (Lihu, BMartin) seem to both play here. What is the name of this funny course where you start on #7 ?

It's Brookside Golf Course, in Pasadena and is adjacent to the Rose Bowl.  The reason you start the "back 9" on #7 is due to the course layout, to get from the starter to #10 is a long distance, probably 3/4 of a mile.

It's clear that anyone who blatantly jumps somebody that like that on the golf course is in "F' it, I don't care" mode." Whatever the reason for the behavior(senility, bad day at the office, just general jerkiness, etc.) it's probably best to let it slide. Much like someone cutting you off on the FWY, escalating may seem more satisfying in the moment, but it's never going to lead to a better outcome for you.

About the best you can do is make a mental catalog of guys like that. Next time you see him approaching you from behind in the future, you can be prepared to have a polite chat with him before he hits his tee shot and races ahead. 

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I would have called the Pro Shop.

Unlikely to make a difference in the short term. Most of the munis in Southern California don't staff marshalls on a weekday afternoon. He probably would have received a sympathetic ear and not much else. What I would recommend is to have a separate conversation with the head pro or GM next time they are available. Describe the guy in as much detail as possible. If the behavior is pervasive, it's likely they have heard it a time or two before. If enough good paying customers start to complain, and they can identify the perpetrator, they may even tell him to straighten up his act or find a new place to play.

54 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I like the oblivious old man walking through the crowd analogy. You can try to trip him or something to wake him out of daytime reverie like @SavvySwede's suggestion of taking the key out of the cart but really, whatever.., flick the bugger of the sleeve and move on.

I also wonder if he knows exactly what effect this has on the 'victim' but thinks it will be no big deal and they will get over it eventually.

It's probably not a good thing for me and many others to do, but we pretty much let them play through on the rare occasion they do this stuff. The two that we mentioned in this thread also only play early mornings and skip on ahead usually trying to avoid other people. One of them actually jumps ahead while others are putting out, then quickly advances the ball to the green and drives up onto the fringe and scoots off before the jumped party is on the tee box. They generally just try to avoid other golfers.

9 minutes ago, Big C said:

It's clear that anyone who blatantly jumps somebody that like that on the golf course is in "F' it, I don't care" mode." Whatever the reason for the behavior(senility, bad day at the office, just general jerkiness, etc.) it's probably best to let it slide. Much like someone cutting you off on the FWY, escalating may seem more satisfying in the moment, but it's never going to lead to a better outcome for you.

About the best you can do is make a mental catalog of guys like that. Next time you see him approaching you from behind in the future, you can be prepared to have a polite chat with him before he hits his tee shot and races ahead. 

Unlikely to make a difference in the short term. Most of the munis in Southern California don't staff marshalls on a weekday afternoon. He probably would have received a sympathetic ear and not much else. What I would recommend is to have a separate conversation with the head pro or GM next time they are available. Describe the guy in as much detail as possible. If the behavior is pervasive, it's likely they have heard it a time or two before. If enough good paying customers start to complain, and they can identify the perpetrator, they may even tell him to straighten up his act or find a new place to play.

Technically, not a muni, and we do have marshals, but the course has 36 holes to patrol. Like I stated earlier, they're really old. I wonder how long they can still play?

@bmartin461 should join us 3:00 golfers, 18 holes for $11 with cart and drink. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

11 minutes ago, Lihu said:

@bmartin461 should join us 3:00 golfers, 18 holes for $11 with cart and drink. :-)

Unfortunately the afternoons are not good for me, so I'm limited to before work if at all, which is becoming more and more of a problem now that their "Players Club" has caught on so well.

20 minutes ago, Big C said:

I agree with this. Although my politeness would wane down  pretty quickly down to none the 3rd time around. Everybody has a threshold.

Vishal S.

Just now, bmartin461 said:

Unfortunately the afternoons are not good for me, so I'm limited to before work if at all, which is becoming more and more of a problem now that their "Players Club" has caught on so well.

Yeah, all the tee times are booked first light.

That's one reason I go after work now. I originally had the $175/month membership, but could not get on early enough to beat the crowd. So, I joined the players club and play later then sometimes go back to work late to work with our China team. I work early, and really late.

They also have early bird at the munis like Altadena and Eaton Canyon, and Santa Anita.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm usually willing to open the conversation and ask politely WTF the person thinks they are doing. I want them to at least understand that I understand what they are doing and give them the chance to not be an asshole. Then I would probably be gracious and say "after you" and let person go. 

7 minutes ago, DocWu1948 said:

You're a regular. He is too. Laugh it off. Why make an enemy on the home course.

Did you ask the twosome who started on #7 about going around?

There's a huge difference between going around people to an open hole in front of them and someone literally walking in front of you to tee off while you are already on the tee. One is common and in no way inconveniences anyone while the other is extremely rude and holds up play if even for a short time. The fact that this was done by a regular makes it even worse because that means it's possible that it will happen again in the future.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

13 hours ago, bmartin461 said:

It's Brookside Golf Course, in Pasadena and is adjacent to the Rose Bowl.  The reason you start the "back 9" on #7 is due to the course layout, to get from the starter to #10 is a long distance, probably 3/4 of a mile.

Cool. I just thought it was interesting that you guys were comparing various characters that you thought it could be.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Note: This thread is 2905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!