Sign in to follow this  
longdrive23

Recommendation for upgrade to Ben Hogan Apex Plus

Note: This thread is 1545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 posts / 3989 viewsLast Reply

I have been using an old set of Ben Hogan Apex Plus irons for about 7 years now.  I like the shape of the head and thought it was good enough to improve my swing without having to get the latest and greatest expensive irons. 

Now I want to explore a new set of irons that will contribute to better  control and consistency. 

Any recommendations on which new set would be a good candidate having been used to Apex Plus? I like the blade like perimeter weighted club head. 

Please share your thoughts!

Thanks!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for suggestions. 

Everytime I had tried a few new clubs earlier, I always felt it had too much weight at the bottom and felt a little odd when swinging. 

Today, I got to try the mizuno shaft optimizer at GolfGalaxy and turns out the right shaft for me is a heavier one (120g) and I had a heavy one in my old set all along. 

The guy suggested Rifle Project X 6.0 120g stiff. 

With this shaft, I tried:

Callaway Apex Pro

Callaway Apex CF16

Taylor made PSI. (With KBS shaft)

All felt good in the swings, was confused which one I should be buying. 

These were very similar - any tips on how to choose between these?

(Budget takes precedence over latest N greatest for me)

Did you try them outside or on a simulator.  You should see different trajectories and levels of forgiveness.  The CF16 should be closer to your Apex Plus but more forgiving.   Also make sure the faces weren't taped up.  

My buddy bought the CF16, will try them out on the range. This store does not have the demo loan out policy, i think Golf Mart has that option, will check it out and then choose.

I bought my current set (in a used state) for 150$. Will have to pay a lot more for this upgrade!

Btw, is there a good review site that tests and provides indepth reviews for each club set? like dpreview.com for digital cameras?

Edited by longdrive23

16 minutes ago, longdrive23 said:

I bought my current set (in a used state) for 150$. Will have to pay a lot more for this upgrade!

Or look for a set a few years used on 2nd swing or eBay.

Got my budget minded irons today. 

Bought a used set of Taylormade RSI 2 for $350 at golf Mart! 

Now to try it out on the course!

Took these to a local exec course today. 

Was very surprised at the amount of forgiveness it has! I never thought it's something that i would feel at my level of the game. 

Off center hits, toe and heel kept the ball pretty straight compared to my previous set. My four iron now is way more reliable than my old 3-hybrid. 

The feedback is pretty amazing. Solid shots have a very different feel and it feels effortless. 

Of course I'm comparing with technology of 1999. Love the upgrade! Highly recommended :)

Note: This thread is 1545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!