IGNORED

Playing a Round of Golf Solo

boil3rmak3r
Note: This thread is 2746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I'm not sure conflicting each other is correct. Him posting the score doesn't negate that he played by the rules.

Posting the score is a violation of the rules of handicapping.

2 hours ago, boil3rmak3r said:

Back on topic...  @iacas, I'm curious to here from a pro.  If you go out alone, is it tough for you to not want to do a little practice during the round?

Not sure what you mean. I don't have an official handicap.

Sometimes I practice and sometimes I post a GAME GOLF score.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Solo round: Playing a solo round by the rules and posting it to GHIN or US Handicap violates the rules of your golf association in the USA.

That's why I say to use a solo round for practice. Use it as time to work on things on the course. Maybe you want to test yourself play by strict rules and see how well you pass the test, but you still can't post the score. 

If you play it by the rules or reasonably within the rules and want to keep track of your round, nothing stops a person from posting the solo round to Game Golf. That's not an official handicapping service. It's a teaching tool.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

8 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Solo round: Playing a solo round by the rules and posting it to GHIN or US Handicap violates the rules of your golf association in the USA.

That's why I say to use a solo round for practice. Use it as time to work on things on the course. Maybe you want to test yourself play by strict rules and see how well you pass the test, but you still can't post the score. 

If you play it by the rules or reasonably within the rules and want to keep track of your round, nothing stops a person from posting the solo round to Game Golf. That's not an official handicapping service. It's a teaching tool.

Or just get used to playing the game the way it was intended, by the rules.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I wouldn't let the new posting rule influence how I play alone. There will be days a single could catch traffic and start playing two balls or whatever to preserve sanity.

When I do that the Game Golf gets turned off and scorecard gets tossed, though I haven't used one outside of league for a year when alone. I let my partners do the pencil work. Typically when I practice on the course I don't putt. If I do I putt with a wedge. If I hit a green in what would be reg I just grab the ball and chip. 

Dave :-)

On 5/18/2016 at 4:57 AM, boil3rmak3r said:

Until this year, you could post any solo rounds.  Even now, you can post a score without someone to mark your card.  If you play with a total stranger who's name you don't even know, you can post your score.  They don't need to sign your card...

==========================

Apologies if this point has already been posted, but I don't want to go through the whole thread. In the UK at least, you can't post a solo round, and in fact at my club the card has to be signed by another member. Also, if it is a practice round, the white tees have to be played off of 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

18 hours ago, boil3rmak3r said:

I am creating this topic after reading through the thread about the USGA's decision to not allow solo golf rounds be posted for handicap purposes....

In the very early years of my golf endeavor (well before I ever thought about establishing an official handicap), I learned that it would be virtually impossible for me to play a round of golf by myself while adhering strictly to the rules of golf.  Once I did establish a handicap, I always deemed my solo rounds as practice rounds (no matter what).  For me, I just can't help myself to do some "practice" when I'm playing alone.  Heck, when I play alone, I usually can't get past the 4th hole before my brain turns into practice mode.  I may re-hit a shot because I did so poorly on my first attempt; or I may re-hit a shot to see if I can replicate the great results I got the first time.  It's just not the same as when I play with a group of guys.  The funny thing is, when I play with a group, this mentality never even crosses my mind.  I play all rounds with a group strictly by the rules. 

My first question is, does anyone else fall into the same boat as me?  Do you struggle to play a round of golf by yourself and never stray from the rules?

My second question is for the guys that say they play a lot of solo rounds strictly by the rules.  I hope these lines of questions aren't off-putting.  Remember, these questions are coming from someone that does not have the willpower to do what you say you do and is skeptical because of that:

-  Have you never played a round that was just terrible and decided not to post your score?
-  Have you never re-hit a shot from off the green (even if you didn't "count" that shot)?
-  Have you never lost a ball and decided not to go back to the tee box to re-hit for the sake of time?
-  Have you never missed that 2' putt, chalked it up to just rushing it, and just gave yourself that putt?
-  Have you never left the pin in the hole when you putted out to save time?

I'm just in awe at how many folks say they can play golf alone and play 100% by the rules.  I may try to make a concerted effort to do it sometime.  I'd probably be fighting my "practice" mode mentality with my "it's a real golf round" mentality the entire way.

Jason

Ive probably done a lot of those things at sometime or another during casual play. But no, i don't think I've ever not posted a round when i set out to keep a score. A lot of times i go play two, three balls a hole. But i never post those rounds. I play by the rules when playing alone in so much that i play it as it lies and adhere to penalties when scoring. Hazards, OB and such. Usual stuff. The basic rules shouldn't take a bunch of discipline to adhere to, IMO. 

I walk and carry my bag when i play, so i like to keep it effiecent. I usually keep the flag in when i play alone if I'm putting like a 20-30 footer and i don't pass by the pin on my way to putt. Im lagging those most of the time, anyway. Unless they're downhill breakers or something, Ill give myself 1-2 footers so i can scoop up the ball with my bag on and get to the next tee. I cant remember the last time i missed a 2 footer.. Ive certainly never have in tournament play as far as i can remember. 

I think the USGA's ruling to not allow posts from solo rounds is utterly stupid. It seems like they make 2 bad rulings for every good one. It doesn't effect me too much as i have more than enough tournament rounds to validate my handicap, but i still think its dumb. Its inconveniences a lot of players. I still post solo rounds. Mostly from 9 hole combined scores. Its like they're saying where all dishonest and that is not the case. I think most people who keep handicaps do it honestly. And with a lot of people posting scores from their phones these days, there is no way to police it, anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I think the USGA's ruling to not allow posts from solo rounds is utterly stupid. It seems like they make 2 bad rulings for every good one. It doesn't effect me too much as i have more than enough tournament rounds to validate my handicap, but i still think its dumb. Its inconveniences a lot of players. I still post solo rounds. Mostly from 9 hole combined scores. Its like they're saying where all dishonest and that is not the case. I think most people who keep handicaps do it honestly. And with a lot of people posting scores from their phones these days, there is no way to police it, anyway. 

Are there any other parts of the rule book you intentionally disregard?  Is it like speeding, its OK as long as you don't get caught?

To be honest, there IS a way to police this.  At my club, if you go off solo, the pro shop marks the tee sheet accordingly.  The Handicap Committee can review the tee sheet and compare to posting records, and act accordingly.  Its probably a low priority, but it can be done.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

18 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

I think the guys in our league play by modified rules in casual rounds and the ignorance I've witnessed suggests they probably don't know how to proceed at times. I was asked lots of questions last season. A common question is where to drop and not understanding the difference between red and yellow hazards. Much of it could be cleared up if the season opening meet and greet had a rules refresher instead of being a beer social.

My league has modified a few rules for pace of play purposes. (lost ball = drop and loss of stroke.
OB- drop 2 club lengths from point of entry and loss of stroke. Bunkers-balls can be listed raked and placed)
These rules modifications are voted on by the league of 60 people. In order for a rule to pass a quorum is needed. you dont like the modifications, either dont play by them or find another league.

We go over all the rules and course specific information, white stakes, red stakes, hazards, ob during our 1st meeting, which is also beer social.
Most of our members know the rules of golf. When playing a match there are always 3 other guys in the group, If I dont know the specific rule someone else does. Not to mention no one is letting me get away with moving a ball from under a tree, especially if it gives me an advantage in our match.

14 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I can't avoid playing with them. I play in the league to spend time with my father so I deal with them to have time with him. I tell them all the time that they can play however they like but I play by the rules.

They go through probably at least a 6 pack each in the 9 holes, at least. So yeah, you aren't too far off. On top of that most of them smoke weed so I have to put up with smelling that crap the whole time too. The things I put up with to spend time with my father, I tell you!

I have the same experience. Just walking to the 10th hole with another golfer, he lit up and offered me a spliff. I politely declined, "cant play cross-eyed". 
Leagues are supposed to be fun. It is golf with some social aspect.
It is the alternative to playing on your own with no one to talk to but the cart girl every 4 holes.
Once again, if you play by the rules of the league you are not going to hell, no one is going to take your clubs away from you.
My father cheats horrifically (not in the league), I know, he knows I know. I put up with up with it because how many more years will I get to spend on the course with him? 3 if I am lucky!

After that I am playing alone, alot!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

Are there any other parts of the rule book you intentionally disregard?  Is it like speeding, its OK as long as you don't get caught?

To be honest, there IS a way to police this.  At my club, if you go off solo, the pro shop marks the tee sheet accordingly.  The Handicap Committee can review the tee sheet and compare to posting records, and act accordingly.  Its probably a low priority, but it can be done.

Theres a lot of rules in golf to hang your hat on and adhere to, the solo round thing is not one of them. And i think any club that does is wasting their time with it. 

Maybe the USGA should require every group be accompanied by a licensed golf official. The official could keep the scorecards and turn them over to the Association for processing. Then we'd truly be safe as golfers.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Maybe the USGA should require every group be accompanied by a licensed golf official. The official could keep the scorecards and turn them over to the Association for processing. Then we'd truly be safe as golfers.

:-$

8 minutes ago, Elmer said:

My league has modified a few rules for pace of play purposes. (lost ball = drop and loss of stroke.
OB- drop 2 club lengths from point of entry and loss of stroke. Bunkers-balls can be listed raked and placed)
These rules modifications are voted on by the league of 60 people. In order for a rule to pass a quorum is needed. you dont like the modifications, either dont play by them or find another league.

We go over all the rules and course specific information, white stakes, red stakes, hazards, ob during our 1st meeting, which is also beer social.
Most of our members know the rules of golf. When playing a match there are always 3 other guys in the group, If I dont know the specific rule someone else does. Not to mention no one is letting me get away with moving a ball from under a tree, especially if it gives me an advantage in our match.

I have the same experience. Just walking to the 10th hole with another golfer, he lit up and offered me a spliff. I politely declined, "cant play cross-eyed". 
Leagues are supposed to be fun. It is golf with some social aspect.
It is the alternative to playing on your own with no one to talk to but the cart girl every 4 holes.
Once again, if you play by the rules of the league you are not going to hell, no one is going to take your clubs away from you.
My father cheats horrifically (not in the league), I know, he knows I know. I put up with up with it because how many more years will I get to spend on the course with him? 3 if I am lucky!

After that I am playing alone, alot!

I had been tossing around the idea of just adopting the league rules when I play league. I feel like by not following their "rules" it makes me look like I think I'm better than them, going by the attitude they give me and looks I get for doing so. My father makes comments about how I can do this or that because the league rules allow it and when I don't then sometimes I think he has to follow my example. I've seen him play from spots he's allow relief from based on the league rules because I don't take relief. Then he ends up getting frustrated and upset because he struggles. The only thing holding me back is these 9 hole rounds end  up being some of the few times I actually play with others and will allow me to post the score. It's a tough position for me, I don't really know what to do.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

9 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Theres a lot of rules in golf to hang your hat on and adhere to, the solo round thing is not one of them. And i think any club that does is wasting their time with it. 

We're a long way from the original topic, so I'll put this into a little box:

Spoiler

We don't get to pick and choose which rules apply, both in the Rules of Golf and in the Handicap rules.  You want to post your solo rounds, the other guy doesn't want to post his low rounds, yet another guy doesn't want to label his tournament rounds as T-rounds, and someone else doesn't want to reduce his scores the way ESC requires.  Is any one of these individuals more justified than the others?  In my mind, each of them is breaking the rules, in effect, he's cheating.

As a separate matter, a handicap is really intended to allow fair competition between players of differing abilities.  Competition implies playing with someone else, whether its stroke play or match play.  It makes absolute sense to me that the scores used to compute your handicap should be similar to the rounds where the handicap comes into play, that is, rounds when you're competing with, and PLAYING WITH, another player.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

At some point maybe I'll move to an area that has more frequent tournaments and competitions that I can join. That, ultimately, is my goal. To be able to join and compete against others. Other than that, I could try to join another league, but I fear that any league I join is going to end up playing by modified rules which do nothing to prepare me for actual legitimate competitions.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

We're a long way from the original topic, so I'll put this into a little box:

Hide contents

We don't get to pick and choose which rules apply, both in the Rules of Golf and in the Handicap rules.  You want to post your solo rounds, the other guy doesn't want to post his low rounds, yet another guy doesn't want to label his tournament rounds as T-rounds, and someone else doesn't want to reduce his scores the way ESC requires.  Is any one of these individuals more justified than the others?  In my mind, each of them is breaking the rules, in effect, he's cheating.

As a separate matter, a handicap is really intended to allow fair competition between players of differing abilities.  Competition implies playing with someone else, whether its stroke play or match play.  It makes absolute sense to me that the scores used to compute your handicap should be similar to the rounds where the handicap comes into play, that is, rounds when you're competing with, and PLAYING WITH, another player.

As a matter of convenience a lot of us pick and choose all the time. This stuff isnt moses coming down from the mountain. Its just a game. I just have faith that most people will post accurately. People who are dishonest are going to be that way. The new rule won't prevent sandbagging or the guy who says he's a +2 and goes out in Open Qauli and shoots 100.  So Im not in favor of needless rules that inconvenience the majority of players. We're having a hard enough time keeping people in the game as it is.  I guess money games at clubs that have handicap components might like tighter controls, but sandbaggers get reps rather quickly. We don't need a rule to prevent it, IMO. 

I look at league as a way to meet not new people not serious competition. Our league registration application has a place to sign stating all members agree to follow the ROG. It's not playing in league that's their problem it's what they do outside of league that creates issues for them. Silly stuff just about everyone does like gimme putts that turn out to be a big problem when they have to knock in that 2 footer to save bogey that usually gets kicked back to them it's good.

Either you follow the rules or you don't there is no grey area. I get that most play for fun even those that keep a handicap. For me keeping a handicap is a way to measure progress more than a formula to compete against others. I won't play as much golf in 2016 and much of it will be alone. That I can't post those scores won't change my observance of the rules. I will still be signing rounds in GG and I want those to be accurate.

This is from our league application.

By paying my dues and signing this application, I agree to follow the rules and by laws of the CCMGA. I agree to uphold the highest traditions of golf and follow the USGA Rules of Golf.

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Elmer said:

They just… choose to ignore them and make up their own?

You're not in a golf league because you're not really playing golf. You're getting a score, and that score can be used to determine if you've won or lost, but it really lacks definition outside of your league, because you're not playing golf.

That specific stuff is probably :offtopic:, but the sentiment that we should only have to play by the rules we like is central to this solo rounds idea. Though even that is kind of OT given the OP.

39 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

As golfers we don't get to decide which rules we get to follow and which we do not.

5 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

As a matter of convenience a lot of us pick and choose all the time. This stuff isnt moses coming down from the mountain. Its just a game.

It's a game, yeah, and what you do has no real effect on me, but let's call a spade a spade: you're cheating, because you're not following the rules of the game. Just as someone would by not following ESC, or not posting their really good rounds, or giving themselves any putt inside 4'.

Do I care much? Does it make you a bad person? No to both. But call yourself a spade and stop trying to justify your spade-ness.

So Im not in favor of needless rules that inconvenience the majority of players.

So there are two things you'd have to defend in that statement:

• "needlessly" - the USGA clearly sees a need or they'd not have done it. That "need" may or may not be the world handicap system coming in the next… few years.
  • "the majority" - I highly doubt the majority of golfers with handicaps are playing solo rounds.

We're having a hard enough time keeping people in the game as it is.

What's that got to do with anything? Do you think people are going to leave golf because they can't post their solo rounds?

2 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

We don't need a rule to prevent it, IMO. 

I don't think the USGA has said the rule exists to prevent sandbagging.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The sentiment of the op seemed to be when playing alone there was either distraction or temptation to break away from the rules to practice on the course. My thinking is either I am there to play or practice and I don't decide mid-round unless something forces me to, like it's wide open and then I get to hole 5 or whatever and see two carts ahead with two carts ahead of them with two carts ahead...Because I can't blow through everyone it may change what I am doing.

As for the other things he mentioned, like have you never played a round that was just terrible and decided not to post your score? To me this is akin to not wearing my wedding ring to the hotel bar. It's mildly ignoble and probably wouldn't lead to anything more that chatting with a hottie via beer goggles but still not right so I don't do it, or least I didn't when I was married. I've never abandoned a round because I was playing poorly, our handicap system is setup to handle that. I know before I get to the 1st tee I have about 10-12 stroke range my score is going to fall into. It is what it is and though I don't feel good about the days that are at the upper end of that margin it's going to happen. Nobody not even the best of the best have only good days on the course.

Note: This thread is 2746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!