IGNORED

Muirfield Out of Open Rota, Denies Women Membership

krupa
Note: This thread is 2635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

When your club membership requirements are less open than that of Augusta National's requirements, you know you're behind the times.

That's the thing: I don't think it's "behind the times" at all. Not everything in the world has to be all-inclusive.

• Upvote 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Muirfield Out of Open Rota, Denies Women Membership

Not defending Muirfield but here tis.  Women can play golf at the course and are welcome to the club as guest.  The majority of the members voted to allow women to be members of Muirfield, but failed to reach the 2/3 majority required by club rules.  This is much ado about nothing and the club will change the rule to keep their rotation in the Open.  

I think if clubs bar women (or anyone because of race gender or creed) from playing their course at all, then they should be penalized like what the R&A did to Muirfield. But theres no indication they do that so i think what they did was unnecessary. From my knowledge anyone can play most of the courses in the UK without actually being a member on certain days.  Who cares if the club itself doesn't allow women? 

Good for the R&A

There should be no club that is Men's only.  Gender discrimination stands in the way of progress. Just because you happened to be born a male doesn't give you the right to exclude another gender from playing the same golf course as you.

3 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Who cares if the club itself doesn't allow women? 

Are you a woman who has tried to join a golf club but was denied because they only allow men to join?  I have a feeling those woman may care...

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's the thing: I don't think it's "behind the times" at all. Not everything in the world has to be all-inclusive.

It is very behind the times and archaic.  

Discrimination based purely on gender is pathetic and old fashioned.  Just because it has been like this for hundreds of years does not make it right.  Woman have had to deal with exclusive for far too long.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I can't wait until fraternities (and sororities) are ended at Universities for being discriminatory...or what about all boy's (or all girl's) prep school and colleges? Are those discriminatory as well? Victory Lady Fitness sounds like a bigoted, discriminatory institution, let's end that while we're at it.

Gimme a break.

Edited by skydog

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

There should be no club that is Men's only.

Bullshit. Why?

Gender discrimination stands in the way of progress.

Men aren't allowed to join CURVES. I don't think white people can join the NAACP. Dumbasses can't join MENSA.

We discriminate ALL THE TIME. It's a private club. They get to make their own rules.

Just because you happened to be born a male doesn't give you the right to exclude another gender from playing the same golf course as you.

First, women play the course frequently. They're not excluded from playing.

Second, if you form a private club that isn't a "public service," you actually do get to make up your own rules, so long as they aren't illegal.

Are you a woman who has tried to join a golf club but was denied because they only allow men to join?  I have a feeling those woman may care...

http://www.ladiesgolfclub.com

There's a club that's pretty equivalent, no? Women only, but men can play as guests. Can't be members, though.

I have no problem with that, either. They made a club of their own and are setting their own rules.

That doesn't mean the rules won't have consequences, like possibly not hosting a British Open. But let's stop with the PC crap, please.

P.S. I think a white person can join the NAACP, btw, but the point (I think) still stands…

• Upvote 4

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yet another Ladies club, and in Scotland no less:

http://www.standrewsputtingclub.com/

And perhaps Muirfield is a little behind the times, the use of cell phones is not allowed anywhere on the property.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

12 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Yet another Ladies club, and in Scotland no less:

http://www.standrewsputtingclub.com/

And perhaps Muirfield is a little behind the times, the use of cell phones is not allowed anywhere on the property.

Actually, the cell phone thing is probably not a bad thing. The only drawback is for people who use their phone for golf apps.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 minute ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Actually, the cell phone thing is probably not a bad thing. The only drawback is for people who use their phone for golf apps.

No need for a golf app, they have caddies.  And you don't want to pay the tariff for data on your US cell phone while you're in Scotland anyway.  Oh, they DO allow you to use your phone for photos, in airplane mode, but no photos inside the clubhouse.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

35 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Good for the R&A

There should be no club that is Men's only.  Gender discrimination stands in the way of progress. Just because you happened to be born a male doesn't give you the right to exclude another gender from playing the same golf course as you.

Discrimination based purely on gender is pathetic and old fashioned.  Just because it has been like this for hundreds of years does not make it right.  Woman have had to deal with exclusive for far too long.

I really don't think its that big of a deal if a woman can play if she wants to. Who's to say a woman even wants to be a member at Muirfield? 

Just now, Groucho Valentine said:

I really don't think its that big of a deal if a woman can play if she wants to. Who's to say a woman even wants to be a member at Muirfield? 

Like with anything, some people will always want to go where they're not allowed.  Sure, women can play as a guest of a member, when invited, or can reserve a tee time a year in advance on a Tuesday or Thursday, but membership could have a significant value.

Dave

9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

No need for a golf app, they have caddies.  And you don't want to pay the tariff for data on your US cell phone while you're in Scotland anyway.  Oh, they DO allow you to use your phone for photos, in airplane mode, but no photos inside the clubhouse.

The only thing I'd use the app for is to track the game, ie GameGolf app. Good point on the data usage overseas though.

*not directed at you Dave, just general comment on the thread* On topic though, if the R&A wants to remove the course from the rotation because of their policy, that's fine, but let's not make out exclusive clubs as this evil thing. There are all sorts of examples of such things that nobody bats an eye at. And most of those don't allow any sort of exception, such as the course does with allowing women to play the course still.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

7 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

*not directed at you Dave, just general comment on the thread* On topic though, if the R&A wants to remove the course from the rotation because of their policy, that's fine, but let's not make out exclusive clubs as this evil thing. There are all sorts of examples of such things that nobody bats an eye at. And most of those don't allow any sort of exception, such as the course does with allowing women to play the course still.

I have no problem with Muirfield's membership policy, its not evil, its not wrong, its completely their choice.  I'm not sure its a smart choice, it depends on how much value they put into hosting the Open every few years, but its their choice to make.

:offtopic:

Spoiler

You've played at my club, our membership is open to absolutely anyone who can pay the initiation and dues.  In fact, if anyone in northern Virginia needs a home club, let me know, we're glad to have you.  And no need to worry  about pesky PGA tournaments closing down the course for weeks at a time, that's never going to be an issue.

Dave

Perhaps they should change their name to "Royal and Progressive". Why does everything have to be politically correct and all inclusive?

Grumpy old man rant over.

• Upvote 1

- Shane

11 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Perhaps they should change their name to "Royal and Progressive". Why does everything have to be politically correct and all inclusive?

Grumpy old man rant over.

Because the R&A Championship group want advertising revenue, and that will be influenced by public opinion.  Even seemingly principled stands are often about money.

Dave

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Because the R&A Championship group want advertising revenue, and that will be influenced by public opinion.  Even seemingly principled stands are often about money.

Exactly, very rarely do entities do this type of thing because "it's the right thing to do".

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

1 hour ago, pumaAttack said:

There should be no club that is Men's only.

Wrong. Men have every right to have male only spaces. I believe it is good for men to spend time with other men without the presence of women. These men do as well. Good for them. I am happy to see them taking a stand against the prevailing PC culture and do what they want to do. It's unfortunate they lose The Open for it, but that is the choice of the R&A. 

- Mark

2 hours ago, iacas said:

It's both.  It used to be extremely common for golf clubs to be men only.  But now, despite the fact that some still are, for the most part clubs have become inclusive and allowed women.  Those that haven't are, hence, "old-fashioned" and therefore, behind the times.  :-D

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!