IGNORED

What Would a PGA Tour Player Shoot at Your Home Course?

dove694
Note: This thread is 1614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What would a Tour player fire at your home course?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. What would a Tour player fire at your home course?

• Under 60
    • 60-65
    • 65-70
    • 70+

6 minutes ago, CaseyD said:

I would guess 75ish at my home course from the tips.

What is the yardage, slope and rating of your home course? Did you mean to type 65?

I dont have a home course per say, but since the tips for most courses I play are under 7000 yds and course ratings are around 70-71, I'd expect them to shoot mid to low 60s consistently

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to play with a guy who is now on the Champions Tour. The course was 7150 yards from the tips and the rating was 75.1. I don't think in at least two dozen rounds of golf I ever saw him shoot in the 70's. He was usually anywhere from a 62 to a 68. EVERY SINGLE TIME. He is having a pretty good year this year. He won a couple times on the Regular tour. I remember him shooting a 29 on the front nine one day and he had to be somewhere so he had to leave and not play the back.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Those cats would crush either of my home courses. 

Kittyhawk GC, Hawk Course is 71.1 / 124 from the tips. Eagle Course is 73.7 / 129.

Ratings aside, those big hitters would have nice big fairways to blast away at. That's a big part of the reason I play there. 

They might take a little getting used to our notoriously slow greens and low- (or no)-sand bunkers, but they'd figure that out quickly enough.

I'd say 60 to 65 on average.

• iacas changed the title to What Would a PGA Tour Player Shoot at Your Home Course?
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, CaseyD said:

What scores do you think touring pros would shoot at your home course?  No caddy, no yardage books, no green books. Just them on a cart like we all play(or at least most of us).  I think we would all be surprised. I would guess 75ish at my home course from the tips. I've always wondered. Just a bored time killer question. 

@CaseyD, we had this question already (and probably in a few other topics too), so your post was merged.

BTW, people consistently over-rate what a PGA Tour player would score. On a course with 18 par threes they'd probably only shoot about 53 or 54 (or higher if conditions aren't great). And on most courses, 10 of the other holes add a drive (while reducing the distance of the second shot, often), and 4 of the other holes add at least a full shot.

The hole is still only 4.25" wide. PGA Tour pros don't shoot 62 all that often from 6800+ yards very often. They're still only 50% from eight feet, and that number declines when you putt on worse greens than they're used to.

Steve Marino played a "wide open, 6,600 yard course" before playing in the U.S. Open and shot a 68, for example.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yea my bad everyone, literally right after I posted it I was like wth, where did that topic come from. Sorry. 😂😂

and no no I didn’t “mean to write 65”. Yes if they played the course everyday then yea they would tear it up, but if they were cruising through town and just played a round on your course. Even taking it serious there would be things they didn’t know or weren’t used to so I don’t think it would a barrage of 60s getting marked down. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, CaseyD said:

and no no I didn’t “mean to write 65”. Yes if they played the course everyday then yea they would tear it up, but if they were cruising through town and just played a round on your course. Even taking it serious there would be things they didn’t know or weren’t used to so I don’t think it would a barrage of 60s getting marked down. 

I don't think they'd average 75, unless your home course is a Tour-level type course.

They wouldn't shoot 61 like many people seem to think, but a 75… no, probably not gonna shoot that either. What's your home course?

These guys are good, remember, and they live under par. 😛

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good topic and one we often end up discussing.  My course is par 71 and 6630 yards off the comp tees.  It's quite tight though and unforgiving in places e.g. there are two 150 ish yard par 3's where not hitting the green can get you in a lot of trouble.  (I've had a 7 in a medal on one!)

So, I reckon your average PGA pro would shoot mid-low 60s but I wouldn't be too surprised if they shot high 50s (especially if they took on the short par 4s) or if they posted 1-2 over par.

Edited by MonkeyGolfer99

My “home” course is riverlakes ranch in Bakersfield. Tournament tees 72.9/ 130.  6781 yds, I’d imagine they could find a few extra yards if needed, still a good 600 yards shorter than a lot of the courses they play on.  Im sure they could light it up but I don’t think you’d see 59-61 on it. Give them a practice round or two and yes I’m sure mid 60s would be a walk in the park. But first time playing with no prior knowledge I’m not so sure. 

Hmmm...well my course hosted the MacKenzie Tour for about 4 years. However I don't know how to find historical results for that tour while on my phone.

I will say the course has a few places where a mishit might not be found without some group help. No fairways are adjacent. A lost ball is decently in play on a few holes 

Black tees are rated 74.9/129, 7300 yards.

Edited by cutchemist42

My home course, Chaska Town Course, hosted the 2006 US Amateur.   Billy Horschel shot a 61 on day 1.    so...    61.

edit:: 

false statement by me.   Billy Horschel shot a 60 on day 1.   Then turned around and shot a 78 at Hazeltine on day 2.  

http://www.usamateur.org/2006/scoring/alllb.htm

so..   60

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, lastings said:

so..   60

What did the rest shoot? One player over one round is not a large sample size.

interesting looking at that leaderboard.   Dustin Johnson shot a 75.  kevin Chappell shot a 72. Rickie Fowler shot a 69. 

Matt Parziale of 2018 US Open fame shot a 75.  Anthony Kim shot 73. Brian HArman shot 72.  Kyle Stanley shot 70.   Peter Uhlien shot 73. 

Edited by lastings

check out my swing here

The course that day was playing at 6,753, which is actually shorter than the standard Black tees there at 6,817.    

check out my swing here

My home course (Elizabeth Manor CC, Portsmouth, VA) would yield a sub 65 at least 50% of time I think. We host the Easter Virginia Amateur each year and some of the top visiting guys shoot 5/6 under routinely. 

I played with a 2 HCP in the qualifier in July (I played just for kicks) and he shot 71 (1 over) with a double on 18 (the only hole he found trouble on, and one of three easiest holes to birdie - sub 460 yard par 5) on his first visit to our course.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

The “lost ball” would bite a couple guys. We don’t have spectators and marshals to help locate wayward shots. My course likes to give that “authentic Scottish feel” in the middle of the desert so we have many areas of 14-16” buffalo grass. You can stand in it, drop your ball and never find it............... unless it’s topflite XL 🤯 any tour caliber ball is swallowed into the abyss

• Like 1

here's some info.   At that 2006 US amateur, where I can count at least 10 future pros...(5 that are playing this weekend)    Stroke play was 2 rounds, split between my home course (Chaska Town Course - 73.4/141 - 6,817) and Hazeltine which everyone knows as a difficult PGA tour venue.       Chaska, from my experience, is nice but not terribly difficult. I'm a 9.8 handicap and I've had 4 scores under 83 there this summer.  I'm sure many of you play at a similar home course.   

Scoring average for the tournament at Chaska was 73.74, Scoring average at Hazeltine was 78.48.   (4.74 strokes)

So, I think it would be fair to say, for many of us, Take a pro's tour scoring average, slash 5 strokes and that's what they shoot at your home course.  

check out my swing here

I voted 65-70 for Torrey Pines North. They score better on the North than they do on the South. I'm fortunate that I'm able to watch pro's play the same course I regularly play.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

9 minutes ago, jimnm said:

I voted 65-70 for Torrey Pines North. They score better on the North than they do on the South. I'm fortunate that I'm able to watch pro's play the same course I regularly play.

That would be a very enlightening experience. See what the best of the best shoot with all the tools on the same course you play. 

Note: This thread is 1614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!