IGNORED

What Would a PGA Tour Player Shoot at Your Home Course?

dove694
Note: This thread is 1613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What would a Tour player fire at your home course?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. What would a Tour player fire at your home course?

• Under 60
    • 60-65
    • 65-70
    • 70+

1 minute ago, CaseyD said:

That would be a very enlightening experience. See what the best of the best shoot with all the tools on the same course you play. 

It really is. It puts my game into perspective 🙂

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ending up finding past results for my course for the MacKenzie Tour so adjust accordingly.  Cut line was 142.

Once again, black tees are rated 74.9/129, 7300 yards.

https://www.pgatour.com/canada/en_us/tournaments/siga-dakota-dunes-open/past-results.2011.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
23 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

Just look at the course rating plus slope and subtract probably 8-10 strokes

Too high. Most PGA Tour players are +5 handicaps or so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 hours ago, iacas said:

+5 index. Playing a course with a slope of 140 would mean a course handicap of +6 or +7 depending on where in the +4.6 to +5.5 range they fall. Then take a field of 150 of them and some of them are going to be 3 or 4 strokes better than their "handicap". I'd say 8-10 under the rating is about what you'd expect on a middling tough course from the tips. Every now and again someone will go lower than that. If it's one guy playing one round, then probably 4-5 under the rating would be average. So over two rounds of a tournament, about 10 under the rating would likely be the cut line and the leader would be 15-20 under the rating.

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

+5 index. Playing a course with a slope of 140 would mean a course handicap of +6 or +7 depending on where in the +4.6 to +5.5 range they fall.

5 * 140/113 = 6 yes, which is all of a 66 or so, and that’s the average of their better half (10 of 20).

43 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

Then take a field of 150

That’s not the question. It’s “a” PGA Tour player. Not “the best out of a full field.”

Plus their index is established on courses they know well. With a caddie.

They’re not THAT much better than a lot of other golfers. What those 5-6 shots shows is how exponentially difficult shaving strokes gets when you become a 1, scratch, +1… +4.

Which in turn makes them THAT much better.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Plus their index is established on courses they know well. With a caddie.

Under a lot of pressure and tournament conditions with pins cut tight to the edges of greens, the rough up and narrowed.

Like I said in my post if it’s one person then 4 to 5 under the rating is probably about right.

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Well I know one of our Amateur tour champ flight guys that is really good but I'd still say is 4 to 5 strokes worse than the average pro in the top 50 id say and still shoots 70-72.I was thinking of one of the top pros I think would shoot 8 to 10 under the rating.Rating of 74.5 with 140 slope at 6900 yards and I think they shoot 60-63 on the par 71 layout.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Aflighter said:

Well I know one of our Amateur tour champ flight guys that is really good but I'd still say is 4 to 5 strokes worse than the average pro in the top 50 id say and still shoots 70-72.I was thinking of one of the top pros I think would shoot 8 to 10 under the rating.Rating of 74.5 with 140 slope at 6900 yards and I think they shoot 60-63 on the par 71 layout.

They won't. Not on average, and not very often. No math supports this.

Again, if the course was 3240 yards… and all par threes, they'd shoot about 55 (3.05 * 18 = 54.9). It's folly to think that more than doubling the length (and adding 18 shots to par) is going to add only five to eight shots.

Heck, take a 6900 yard course. That's 383 yards per hole, on average.

Look at the chart above. 18 * 3.96 = 71.28. But you think the course simply being in worse condition means they're going to shoot eight to eleven shots better?

Shooting even, say, 62 requires an average score of 3.4 per hole. On the PGA Tour, they average 3.4 from about 255 yards.

Again, they're not as good as many people seem to think they are, because a lot of people really don't seem to understand how difficult it is to get from a +2 to a +3, and how much more difficult shooting 70 on average to shooting 68 on average can be.

• Informative 1

Joey Sindelar once played at Newman (my home course) years ago. He shot 68. I believe. I guess the goose shit effected his lies as well.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 5/22/2016 at 11:11 AM, awmgolfer said:

My home course is pretty short, even from the blue it is just over 6,000 yards. I believe the first time around a pro would probably shoot right around par but, mainly due to the greens, being slow and a bit bumpy. Give them a couple of rounds I believe the course record of -5 would be broken. 

Same with mine. It's got trees and water, but no sand traps. Your average tour pro could break par comfortably with a 5 iron, wedge, and putter.

• 1 year later...

My home course would be very short for a pro at 6442 yards, but they couldn’t hit driver on every hole. For example, our first hole is a dogleg left par-4 that’s about 200 to the corner (from back tee) and about 250 to the far tree line. Then our eighth hole is another dogleg left par-4, this time about 220 to the runout, but really gutsy players could hit a nice high shot over the trees. If I had to guess, I’d say a pro would shoot about a 28 or 29 for nine holes on my course, doesn’t matter which, even though the back is supposed to be harder than the front. 

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

39 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

our first hole is a dogleg left par-4 that’s about 200 to the corner (from back tee) and about 250 to the far tree line.

Sounds like a pro could cut that corner pretty easily no?

39 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

, but really gutsy players could hit a nice high shot over the trees. 

They are. I’m sure a PGA Tour pro could make mincemeat out of both holes described.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Sounds like a pro could cut that corner pretty easily no?

Well, not quite. The trees on the first hole are pretty high, and the pro would have to get a driver up extremely quick or else they’re going into the trees and OB. It’s different on the eighth. There’s more room to cut the corner or hit a draw. But I see your point.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

16 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

Well, not quite. The trees on the first hole are pretty high, and the pro would have to get a driver up extremely quick or else they’re going into the trees and OB. It’s different on the eighth. There’s more room to cut the corner or hit a draw. But I see your point.

Just for perspective....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

A professional would find my home course quite demanding.  You have to park your car yourself and no one comes around to pick up your bag.  You have to pay for practice balls and there are no reporters present.  Your tee time is not etched in stone and the slow guys might steal the march if, four egg sample, you decide to drain the tank before heading out.  Once underway there are sewers, goose turds, trash, and less than desirable ground conditions to deal with.  Most of the groups you encounter are more concerned with consuming alcohol than they are playing golf.  So...no...a professional would not fare well on my home course.

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

9 hours ago, Piz said:

there are no reporters present

Well ... for all the other highly attractive features our courses share, I'd think this would be a big plus.

We just had a former pro set a new course record for 18 holes (our club is 27 holes) at 61.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Note: This thread is 1613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!