IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

If my calculations are correct, as of this upcoming revision on the 15th, I will be a single digit handicap for the first time! 

Thanks to TST, LSW, and the 5 min challenge I have gone from an unofficial 16 to an official 13 to a 9.1 in a year.  

• Upvote 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Again, I would have to say yes, but I would also ask why it has to be this way. That is, it's mid-October here in NE Ohio, and I'm playing the best golf I have in several years! Just striping the ball! And I'm afraid I'm going to lose it over the Winter! I'm trying to devise strategies to have that not happen.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, I shot a 78 last time out! Yee Haw!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

I believe that I will be somewhat better than the 10.0 I am now in a year.  My 71st birthday is a few weeks away and I fully believe I can get back to mid single digits with practice.  I was in the 4 range for most of my 46 years of playing golf but got Ocular Melanoma 7 years ago and believe me very poor vision in your dominate eye will wreck your game.  I retired a few months back and have been playing a lot and and practicing some.  I am now going to play a little less and practice a good bit more.  I have gotten the long game back to where I can normally hit 10 or  more greens a round, shooting high 70s to low 80s.  I am now practicing the short game more so I have high hopes of soon eliminating most of the 80s.  My best year ever was age 59/60, qualifying for and making Match Play in the USGA Senior Amateur, having Rule 10-3 put on me because as a 4 I shot  2 under in qualifying and 1 under in one of the Medal Play rounds.  That made me a +1 for a year.

I have to say yes. If you had asked me even at the start of the year this question i would have laughed at you. For me, actually suffering a back issue sorted my game. I had to make a bunch of changes "prescribed" to me by my physio and im finally seeing the rewards and playing pain free.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Seeing how my season will end cause of weather likely after this weekend, I can easily say yes. Looked at my old handicap calculated by Golfshot last year and ended at 23.2. Going by GG my HI is at 16.7. 

Ummm....

4iron.jpg

If I'd answered in August, it would have been a resounding yes. The full swing is completely gone along with any idea of a plan for improvement. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic about next year. But you never know.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Ummm....

4iron.jpg

If I'd answered in August, it would have been a resounding yes. The full swing is completely gone along with any idea of a plan for improvement. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic about next year. But you never know.

I have been there many times. Clubs broken. No anymore. Golf is very complex movement. But for us recreational golfers from 6 to 24 handicap  we need to understand two thing 1. Swing on plane specially on the backswing. Because the most common fault is the too inside backswing. 2, Control the low point of the swing which is 6 inches after the ball. 

Please find a pro able to teach you this. Forget about anything else the body is more clever than you think and will adapt to new geometry.

Or at least do this on practice rounds: Put a tee 4 inches after the ball and 2 inches right of the target and try to clip the tee after hitting the ball. If you take the ball and the clip the tee you should hit descent shots. The rest will be clubface control.

But please find a Pro able to you swing on plane and control the low point of the swing. 

Good luck

Edited by Sierra Magica
  • Upvote 1

First post

Love the optimism that the results of the poll shows. Consistently looking to improve and sharpen my game makes me feel like I'll always continue to get better, but like everyone that plays this great game there are certainly days or weeks where it's not as easy to stay optimistic. Heading into the off-season now, being from Canada, however I started tracking my handicap this summer for the first time and was surprised to see the index I ended up with at the end of the year....pleasantly surprised. When you guys/gals first decided to track your handicap did it take you by surprise? For better or worse? 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, VikingLang said:

First post

Love the optimism that the results of the poll shows.

Welcome to TST.

Yeah, 14% more people think they'll be better in a year than the respondents for the previous year.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, VikingLang said:

When you guys/gals first decided to track your handicap did it take you by surprise? For better or worse? 

Mine is about what I expected. 

However, most of my very best rounds, half of my birdies, and the biggest concentration of pars, all came in the last part of the summer. That's why I know I will be better next year. 

A new generation of younger Instructor have helped very much to take golf more as a science. With the support of technological advance. That is the reason why I don't believe old Gurus of golf anymore. They were good because they were teaching  gifted guys. With absolute security I can say. Me a High handicap for many year. In a period  of three year I will reach Scratch.

Honestly Erik and all Sand Trappers, I sucked last year and still suck this year. The only difference really is my amount of really terrible rounds has gone down... The highest I shot this year was 98 twice. I only broke 80 once in 54 rounds.

My issue as you guys know is mostly balance related. So I'm working on a shorter swing (about a 1/2 swing) and slowly trying to lengthen it to about 3/4. As Erik says, "Golf is hard."

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Definitely better. I invested in some lessons and whilst it took some time for me to form the changes as a habit, I feel excited each day I get to go out and play.

Better than a year ago?  Handicap is the same now that it was in early Spring last year.  I think I would have improved this year, but I tore my left quad tendon early May last year and didn't start playing again until Oct/Nov last year.  So basically Oct/Nov 15 through probably April of this year I had to rebuild the swing as it took a long time to build the confidence to get the weight shifted forward onto my left leg.  Once I got past that part, it was actually a pretty good year, I broke 80 three times (78, 78, 79) and stayed pretty consistent with my swing.

Better a year from now?  I believe I will be better this time next year.  Have a little more time to practice and play and try to keep myself from tinkering all the time, which isn't easy, but I think I got it under control.

Gus

Gus
---------------

My goal is not to get worse...LOL  

My season is shortened and I don't play as much....if I can hang where I am now.....I am good with that.  

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch