IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

This year, I've actually gotten worse. I switched instructors on Evolvr, and my new instructor is working on fixing a big flaw in my motion (I've been around a 13-15 for many years), which I know will make me better. Unfortunately, while I strike the ball much better than I did when practicing, I cannot take it to the course and my scores have ballooned. Instead of a 13 last year, I am now in the high 15s and climbing. I'm committed to making the change though, so believe I will be better in the future.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks to lessons, a driver fitting, and better practice (thanks to LSW) I'm much better than I was a year ago. I'm regularly shooting in the high 80's now (87, 88, 89). I'm making roughly twice as many pars as last year and 30% more birdies. Last year I could barely break 100.

The irony is I enjoy the game less now, because I no longer treasure the small accomplishments like I used to. The guys they send me out with all seem to be so good, I feel like I'm fighting for my life just to keep up. I kind of miss just enjoying the scenery sometimes. 

17 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

The irony is I enjoy the game less now, because I no longer treasure the small accomplishments like I used to. The guys they send me out with all seem to be so good, I feel like I'm fighting for my life just to keep up. I kind of miss just enjoying the scenery sometimes. 

I think the issue here is that you got 10+ strokes better, but what you classify as small accomplishments doesnt seem to have changed. Since you have gotten significantly better, what you consider small accomplishments should also change, in my opinion. 

When you were shooting 100+, maybe a small accomplishment for you was no triple bogies in a round. Now that small accomplishment should be no double bogies in a round. Maybe last year 2 GIR per round was a small accomplishment, now make 4 or 5 GIR become what you consider the small accomplishment. 

Also, you might enjoy it more if you dont compare yourself to random people you get paired up with. Assuming they are just random people you get sent out with, you dont know their history, how long they have been playing, how many hours they have invested into practice/playing, etc etc. too many variables to compare yourself to random people. The fact that you consistently break 90 already puts you in the top 20% of all golfers. Golf is hard. Have fun :-)

Edited by klineka
  • Like 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I wish I could play as well as I do during my practice sessions. My playing partners constantly question why my cap is so high for the way I strike the ball. My blow up holes are what kill my scores. 39 after 8 holes only to blow it on the 9th.  Frustrating to say the least.

Yes your long game can dictate the outcome of a round, but you need something to rely on to save a round from going bad. The short game is so important if your ball striking is off, it can save a bad round, and make a good round better. 

If you'd have been able to watch my last round, you might have thought so! My buddy and I met his Sister and her friend at a local course. We decided to mix things up, and we played my buddy and his Sister against me and her friend in a two person scramble.

We might have taken 4 of her shots the whole round, and "we" shot 76! I had my best ball striking round of the year. After 3 or 4 holes my buddy said, "What the Hell's going on here! You're hitting fairways and greens, and sinking putts!"

It might have just been one of those days! But I had the feeling of something older, so I hope not!

I started the year at an 18 handicap, couldn't break 90 to save my soul. Now I'm at 9.6. I am still yet to break 80, unfortunately, but it's coming soon!(this is possible because my course has a 74.5 rating from the tees I play)

The big jump is primarily because this is the first year I've joined a club, kept my handicap and played a lot. Another advantage is that I've always been pretty long, but hit OB a lot. Just needed to keep the ball in play to make the jump to 12. The rest can be attributed to better short game and putting. Sometimes I still go native, and I'll go out and shoot 92, but at the beginning of the year I would have been "happy" with that score. I am thinking I may benefit from some lessons to add some swing consistency, but I haven't had one since I was very young. Unfortunately, the "big jumps" are likely over for me, and it will likely require A LOT more work to climb lower. 

Delighted to say yes ( but it was my first year playing and your bound to get better in the beginning with a bit of practice/play), this year coming going to try practice better, (by better I mean smarter) ... read LSW and see what tips I can pickup and incorporate into my game, take lessons and hopefully end next year in the teens and out of the 20's I'm currently in.

Jones Carry Bag *** Titleist 975D 10.5  *** Wilson Staff FG Tour  4 - pw *** Callaway Mac Daddy 52 deg & 58 deg *** Nike Method Mod 90

An emphatic yes. A year ago, I hadn't played for five years or more. I was absolutely awful when I started back into the game this summer, and am working as hard as I can to bring my level up and my scores down.

14 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

If you'd have been able to watch my last round, you might have thought so! My buddy and I met his Sister and her friend at a local course. We decided to mix things up, and we played my buddy and his Sister against me and her friend in a two person scramble.

We might have taken 4 of her shots the whole round, and "we" shot 76! I had my best ball striking round of the year. After 3 or 4 holes my buddy said, "What the Hell's going on here! You're hitting fairways and greens, and sinking putts!"

It might have just been one of those days! But I had the feeling of something older, so I hope not!

might you have been showing off to your new partner? I know my game gets better with an audience.

Dan Vesma

M2 10.5, Old Bendy Fazer 3W, Mizuno MP-59 Irons, Cheapy Wedges & Monza Rossa Putter
Back playing after 6 years, no hcp yet, just lots of shouting

15 hours ago, jackn said:

Yes your long game can dictate the outcome of a round, but you need something to rely on to save a round from going bad. The short game is so important if your ball striking is off, it can save a bad round, and make a good round better. 

Mostly agree. If you're striping GIRs, you can help negate the need for a good short game. But even if that's the case, a bad chip can lead to double on the few greens you do miss, and make a good round into a mediocre one. However, if you're taking 3 off the tee, the short game can only save so many strokes. 

On 22/05/2016 at 9:47 PM, MacDutch said:

I am getting beter every year. Last year 9.7, now 8.5. End of season 7.5 as a target. 

looks like you hit your target?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dan Vesma

M2 10.5, Old Bendy Fazer 3W, Mizuno MP-59 Irons, Cheapy Wedges & Monza Rossa Putter
Back playing after 6 years, no hcp yet, just lots of shouting

On 8/29/2017 at 0:31 PM, Hooter said:

I am a diligent tracker of scores. Using game golf has really helped with that (jallen1008). Because of this, I have realized my starter set of clubs needs to be more accurate that currently in the bag. I am hitting my starter set (3 years old) Callaway XHot with a uniflex shaft.

Understanding more and more about the game each year has helped me to learn the feel of a good shot, bad shot, and a pure shot.  I look forward to seeing everyone else improvements from last year.

Hooter, 

You ever get a chance to go down to Buffalo Ridge in Brandson? Thinking about taking a weekend with some guys down there, but haven't actually talked to anyone who's played it. 

16 hours ago, Dan Vesma said:

looks like you hit your target?

Thanks for asking. Yes, I did.  

That was last year, this year I feel there is still room for a lower handicap. Have been at 6.8 and now at 7.0. Did not set a target, but a high six is possible. Funny how the progress goes on and on. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 8:21 AM, JRanderson32 said:

Hooter, 

You ever get a chance to go down to Buffalo Ridge in Brandson? Thinking about taking a weekend with some guys down there, but haven't actually talked to anyone who's played it. 

I have not as of yet. I have only hit the top of the rock par 3 course in Branson. Around Springfield there are many great courses, and I have hit quite a few at Lake of the Ozarks. My apprehension is getting to be a better golfer before I tee Buffalo Ridge.

With our first genuinely cold and rainy day in a long time, it seems like an appropriate time to update this. 

It's definitely better this year.

Numerically, I dropped from 21.6 to a 20.1 as of this morning. That number would have been better had I not lost the first two months to shanks. I still play a large number of rounds either solo or with a friend of mine who will only play our par-3. I simply haven't been able to post a lot of rounds.

It was a painful trip with those shanks after changing my grip to an overlap at the beginning of the year. The benefit is obvious in my better-hit balls. My drives are reaching places that I only used to walk through on my way to my third stab. The idea of a 160-yard approach shot now seems entirely possible, It's now much more of a disappointment when I don't have at least the chance to get up-and-down for a par. It was a few weeks ago that I was playing a particular par 4. Five-plus years of playing here conditioned me to think a well-struck drive might yield 110 yards or so to the green. I tattooed the ball into a trap 20 yards from the green. Yesterday, I had my first ever 7I into a long par 4 that I used to hit 5W every time for my second.   

I still have my bad days. There are days where I just can't seem to keep my balance. It can be more frustrating after seeing what I'm capable of on a good day. If I'm realistic with myself even the bad days are much better than my bad days of the past.

I didnt play much at all last year so yeah, I'm probably better this year as I've actually been able to get out a lot, well a lot by my standards.

but hell, im better than I was a month ago.  Ive shaved about 15 strokes off my average score since the beginning of the season. some of that through smarter course management and club selection, and some through diligently working on my swing so I have fewer huge misses and crooked numbers on my scorecard.  regarding next year, Im not sure how good or bad I'll be, but for the first time ever, I actually plan to play a little bit in the fall/winter, and possibly work on de-lofting my club more at impact as my ball flight is a little high at the moment, and while it looks nice, I feel like I've lost about 5-10 yards on my iron shots, so I'd like to maybe tinker with the ball flight a bit. could **** everything up, or allow me to hit shorter clubs into greens. might be better, might be worse. 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

On 9/1/2017 at 0:43 PM, Hooter said:

I have not as of yet. I have only hit the top of the rock par 3 course in Branson. Around Springfield there are many great courses, and I have hit quite a few at Lake of the Ozarks. My apprehension is getting to be a better golfer before I tee Buffalo Ridge.

Soudns good. I have also played TOTR, many years ago. Some of the most beautiful views I've seen on a golf course. 

I have been a scratch golfer for 15 years, but am currently playing off the lowest handicap I have ever had, and I am playing the best golf of my life. My stroke average over my last 20 rounds is 71.35, so slightly under par. I shot my career lowest score (64) this past summer, and won my club championship for the third time in four years. Its been a good year for golf.

I have to attribute it to taking basically the first real lesson of my life. Now I have had people help me along the way, tips here and there, but I have never taken a real formal "lesson". My weakest area of my game was my wedge game and one of the pros where I work offered to help me out. What a difference it made, he completely revamped my wedge game and my weakest part has now become a strength. My distance control is night and day better.

My only regret is that it took me so long to finally get some help. At 45 my best years, physically, are probably behind me. Had I been able to make this gain 10-15 years ago what a difference it may have made.

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1