IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

I just finished by first year since my return to golf after two decades and some major health issues.  Biggest handicap was readjusting balance after a year of rehab. (Though in AZ, heat is an issue as well.). The year even involved replacing an old set of clubs. For budget reasons, I build my new set almost 1 club at a time.  I returned to find a world of graphite shafts, clubs which are designed to help eliminate my hook, clubs that were longer than what I used in the past, fitted putters!, and golf balls designed for the game I now play. I have begun to play a nice draw most of the time, using hybrids in place of my long irons, developed a repeatable address to the ball, and swings that works.  Still a LOT to learn.  Just under a year of return, I broke 100 and I suspect, if I keep learning and with practice, a sub 90 is not that far away.  In this past year, I have only played 6 rounds on a course.  But with the new skills (required as I had to relearn most of the basics), I have increased my fun factor.  Big thanks to TST for not only passing on suggestions but for making interactions with passionate golfers a joy.

images.png

Edited by DrMJG
  • Thumbs Up 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think this year, I learned how to turn. It's early, but will have to see.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.

New member here.

Ive joined up as I have fallen in love with the game. A while ago I had a friend over from interstate and a group of us went out and played 18 holes. I literally shot 160. It wasnt an enjoyable experience for me - I just wasnt competent enough to fit in and have fun. My friends arent amazing golfers, but I was something else.

I woke up hungover the next day with a resolve to improve my game to a level where I can go and have fun with my mates. I lay on the couch watching youtube videos on the basic fundamentals.

Six months later I play at least three times a week and hit the driving range at least once a week. I havent had any lessons yet and feel I need some. My goals have changed over this time. Initially it was to just get to a competent level to enjoy playing with my friends. Now it is to shoot in the 40's over nine holes consistently at my local course. I also have a more general goal to be able to play well enough to enjoy playing at golf courses if I go on holiday to overseas golf resorts with friends.

I have improved markedly. Sub 50 scores over 9 are regular. My chipping and pitching are easily my strengths. Putting is quite average, irons lukewarm and as for the driver- thats my biggest head wreck. I have days where I can direct it semi straight and others where I cant keep it on the fairway. In fact a general round is a complete roller coaster off the tee. It frustrates me greatly. I move between hitting my driver or alternating with my 3 wood, which i actually hit further, but am also just as prone to shanking not much further past the ladies tee. 

Ive played competitive sport my whole life - cricket, AFL, baseball and tennis and have absolutely no desire to ever play competitive golf (ie: tournaments).

Edited by Hugh Jars

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t think there is any question I’m better than a year ago. For starters I have never even tracked my handicap. Now I know I am a 5.2 ( I did shoot 74 today and wasn’t able to get it into the computer tho but will post tomorrow after I play again.) I hadn’t had a membership in years. I wasn’t playing as much last year as I am now. I bought new irons this season. I started using a GPS this season so I know real yardage as opposed to guessing. All that factors into a significant improvement in my game. Although I didn’t know my handicap last year I did shoot a few rounds in the 70’s. This year I have shot way more in the 70’s. Played my 1st ever 9 holes under par. Shot my 1st round of even. I have shot a couple rounds under 75 this year which I had done 2x before this year. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

• 1 month later...

My goal this year was to shoot in the 90s and with lessons, practice and playing more I have achieved that goal.  Next year I expect to hit more gir.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I voted almost the same for better this year. However, even though my scores don't show it I feel like I've tackled some pretty technical things that will pay off in the near future. Just quick examples, grip, divot depth and swing path.  Still feels very uncomfortable but the results don't lie. My ball flight is much straighter actually dealing with more heavy draw/ hook issues and that isn't my norm so I know I'm on the right path. Divots are so much shallower and smaller its crazy, I'm sure the golf course appreciates this. 😁

And as for this time next year I'm confident I will finally break into the 70s

Much worse than I was a year ago, and was worse last year than the year before that. Over the last few years, I have been fortunate to play and practice more than ever before, but it just gets worse and worse. Oh well. Not looking likely that next year will be better. Maybe in tennis. 🙂

I've been able to improve my game in the last year.  Besides scoring better, I feel that my pace and tempo are not artificial and are in harmony with my own personality.  And when I don't score as well as I had hoped, I'm still very satisfied that overall my level of consistency and club selection has improved.

I'm 72 and once played to a seven.

My game will at this point continue to regress as I regress physically.

If it gets bad enough to not be fun anymore, I'll simply change my club status to a social membership.

Nothing lasts forever.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

2 hours ago, trombettista_vecchio said:

I'm 72 and once played to a seven.

My game will at this point continue to regress as I regress physically.

If it gets bad enough to not be fun anymore, I'll simply change my club status to a social membership.

Nothing lasts forever.

IMO walk the course is a win. Play on with 72 is a privilege no matter how well or badly.

I recommend play foursome or Texas scramble. They are less demand on yourself.

Share some wisdom to the Junior. 

I always welcome some from my senior member. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been playing golf since 1993 and I can honestly say I'm playing the best golf of my life right now.

My handicap dropped from over 14 to just under 8 this year.

I'm working on my plan to improve even more next year. Can't wait for next season. 

Lowest Score Wins!

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Yes, yes. Doing 5 minutes a day, plus 2 trips to driving range and 2. Rounds planned per week. Using LM and taking video. Personal training to help prevent pinched neck nerves. Developed a new swing to prevent injuries and get more consistent.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I simply don't get to play enough. I only get to play 3 months out of the year at most. Anytime that I get to play consistently I tend to improve quickly.  I understand the game better but I need more on course reps to realize that potential. 

Yes and yes. My scores on average are lower, my handicap is lower, and I've shot my lowest score this year. I feel like my swing has improved and that's been the biggest reason that my scores have gotten better. Especially my driver swing, I really worked hard on that this year and it's paid off.

I think I can continue to improve throughout the winter and next season. One of my goals is to get Game Golf or Arccos sensors and use the analytics to target areas for improvement and focus my practice sessions. 

1 hour ago, MyLeftStrokeJustWentViral said:

Yes and yes. My scores on average are lower, my handicap is lower, and I've shot my lowest score this year. I feel like my swing has improved and that's been the biggest reason that my scores have gotten better. Especially my driver swing, I really worked hard on that this year and it's paid off.

I think I can continue to improve throughout the winter and next season. One of my goals is to get Game Golf or Arccos sensors and use the analytics to target areas for improvement and focus my practice sessions. 

Good on you..you have found the secret to improving your game.  It is all in the swing..make it better and the game becomes easier and way more fun!