IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

Now that the handicap season has ended in Illinois, it's time to compare to 2018. 

2019 year end Index.    12.5

2018 year end index.    13.0

While the index improved only slightly, looking at my golf stats for errors (bad tee shot, bad chips, bad sand shot and 3 putts) I improved from 4.9 strokes to 3.7 strokes per round. My target is 3.5 strokes which equates to my overall target of a 10 index. Now its time to dive into my golf library for the winter and look for an off-season golf trip. 

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Much better than a year ago. Got much more work to do, but well pleased with the progress so far. I started golf late in life - just turned 65. Really this has been the first year that I have played much at all -around 15-20 rounds.

• 4 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 9:49 PM, bwdial said:

Sadly, my answer to the first question is a resounding no.  Actually, I feel like I have regressed.  I celebrated passing my Marketing certification exam for teaching it in high school by going to the golf course.  It was the first time I'd hit a golf ball since before Christmas, and it showed.  Horribly inconsistent.  I crushed my first drive, with a slight draw, which forced me to punch out from below some trees, and it went down hill from there.  Didn't hit another solid drive until the ninth hole.

I'm looking into lessons.  I've got to get some consistency in my swing, because I never know what's going to come off the clubface.

So, what a difference a year makes.  Since I posted this, I have taken three (out of six) lessons, and generally taken a greater interest in practicing and improving as much as possible.  I practice daily, either hitting balls into my net in the back yard, or practicing slow motion and full speed swings in the living room.  I do the drills that @iacas and @mvmac post, and I have really seen improvement.  Over the past year I have worked to take the sway out of my swing, and replaced it with a centered pivot. I've even managed to get a YouTube account so I could finally post a swing video.

Now, I am diligently working on flow in my swing, and not staying perfectly centered, but re-centering and covering the ball at impact.  I have also changed my takeaway completely to hinge my trail wrist.  Previously, I would fan the clubhead open during my takeaway, which would generally lead to a wide open clubface at impact. I am also in the process of overhauling my swing to improve my impact position.  Currently, I am very square at impact, which leads to flipping and shots that balloon into the air.  Again, I am diligently using drills and my Tour Striker to get my center forward, hips open, and compress the ball. Likewise, I am getting a better grasp on what my distances with each club are. I don't know what scores will be when I finally get onto the course, but I know that I am making much better, more consistent contact. 

Edited by bwdial
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I am always a better golfer than I was a year ago.  The years force wisdom upon us...whether we know it or not.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I'm a better golfer than a year ago because of the several sessions of coaching, regular course play, and getting a mat, net, and Rmotion setup in my garage.   Overall, I recognize that these resources have helped me to dial into my more graceful and in-sequence swing, however, I'm still just inches away from a less than ideal shot every time.  

Not really, and only because this time last year, I was actually golfing....lol

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

For the first time in a few years, the answer is yep, a bit.  New clubs, with shafts better suited to me, have made a difference.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Based on my last three rounds I would say resoundly no, my putting, and pitching have gotten somewhat better but my ball striking is as bad as it's ever been. Chunky shots, and erratic ball flight were things I never really dealt with. Always had two pretty consistent misses even if they were in different direction. It's still early in the season though so with some time and practice maybe I can upgrade the game a little. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, absolutely.

I quit playing in 1975 because of work and raising a family. 

Now retired, I started playing seriously last year. (2019)

My handicap was 28. (2019 when I started keeping track of it)

This year my handicap is 17.9.

Hoping to get it lower yet, but right now I am at a plateau where I am forced to plan my shots and always stay in the fairway. 

I am shooting for a 10 handicap. May not make it but then I may still get there. 

I find that playing daily helps a lot. (Well, duh 😄 )

Retired Old Man 

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, not even close.  I have actually gotten so bad that I am thinking of quitting this game forever.

45 minutes ago, MOODY said:

Nope, not even close.  I have actually gotten so bad that I am thinking of quitting this game forever.

Ah, I always wondered who resides at the far end of the golf skill bell curve.

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Ah, I always wondered who resides at the far end of the golf skill bell curve.

Well it is not like I want to be where I am at now.  It sure as hell is not my choosing and I have taken lessons and put in loads of practice and play but I just keep getting worse and there is no joy left playing golf, it has become more like a chore.

21 minutes ago, MOODY said:

Well it is not like I want to be where I am at now.  It sure as hell is not my choosing and I have taken lessons and put in loads of practice and play but I just keep getting worse and there is no joy left playing golf, it has become more like a chore.

I feel your pain. I was just poking a little fun. Have you tried posting video of your swing on here so that others might take a look at it and make some suggestions?

DM, yes I have thought of posting my swing but I am too embarrassed at this point to do so.

What I am thinking of doing is make a video of me now since it would give a good laugh and hopefully one after I improve.  If I don't improve then it won't matter as I will be using all of my spare time to start fishing again and forget that I ever played this game.

12 minutes ago, MOODY said:

DM, yes I have thought of posting my swing but I am too embarrassed at this point to do so.

What I am thinking of doing is make a video of me now since it would give a good laugh and hopefully one after I improve.  If I don't improve then it won't matter as I will be using all of my spare time to start fishing again and forget that I ever played this game.

Moody, it sounds like you really want to continue golfing. But you want to play at a level that makes you feel better about your game. Of course, we never get to where we want to be, but we can get to a level we accept.  Even though we would like to go beyond that.  Your swing notwithstanding I would read some things about the moment of impact. The ball does not know what your swing looks like.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, MOODY said:

MOODY, I do not know which part of this is dark humor or what.  But seriously, post your swing if you have any desire to improve.  There are guys here who know more about improving in this game than just about anyone you will meet on your own.  Quality golf lessons are a fortune, but these guys give help for free.  You are in the right place to improve.  Enjoy the ride.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most definitely I have improved over the past year, by maybe 10 strokes and 5 fewer balls lost.  I don't know how many years I can continue to swing like this, but for now it feels great.

Edited by Cantankerish