IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

• 1 month later...

Looking back at my game this time last year, I am significantly better.  I was hovering somewhere in the low 30's and knew I totally sucked.  This past year, has been about being smarter with the game.  Along with finding this site, the 30day Covid Practice Plan Challenge gave me some serious homework and woodshed time.  Putting those drills into action and adding to them from what I read in LSR has made my game smarter.  Almost daily hitting the ball in some way - whether chips, pitches, putts or full swings (95% of the time with foam/whiffle balls) to work "purposefully" on certain skill sets.  Making up my mind that smarter not harder is a true component of golf - yes, bombing drives is cool but not making bogie or worse is better.  All has combined to lower my handicap (per my Garmin Approach S20) to just under 20.  For 2021, it will not be as large a drop as I know that the lower hanging fruit is pretty much picked, now comes the true game changers - drives that go farther and land in the fairways more often, approach shots that put you on the green or near greens in regulation, putts that finish in the cup or barely past it. Much to do, but excited about the possiblities. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In Chicago, our golf league finished our season on Wednesday. While my handicap didn't hit my single digit target, I did become a  more consistent 12 handicapper.  I permanently moved up to the senior tees and found the golf much more enjoyable. 

Also, I had my first hole in one which certainly put a nice cap on the season. For the off season I hope to work more on keeping flexibility and strength training. At 68 years old, if I don't keep flexible during the off season it becomes really tough to regain it at the start of the new season.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

I have been golfing for more than 50 years, even before the golf team in high school.  I've always been adequate, but technically imperfect.  I remember the HS coach once said, "Can I show you something?"  Then, after hesitation, "Never mind."  That's how challenging he knew it would be.

Then, when attempting to buy clubs to improve my score 25 years ago, the salesman said, "Do you always swing like that?"

A couple years ago, on the range "Coach" noticed my grip, and had me strengthen it. 

I went from a 19 to a 14.

Edited by Ole Duffer

Man of the Year in Michigan 

I answered yes and yes. I shot my lowest round ever (and first under par) in 2020. My average (against GHIN differential) dropped almost 3 full strokes and my handicap dipped below 5 for the first time ever. 

After building a golf simulator in my garage last winter my ball striking has continued to improve and I see no reason for that to stop in 2021. I am also signed up for the Super Speed program / challenge here in the forums in an effort to get back to my pre-shoulder surgery distance of 2019. 

Well I learned two very important things about golf this year and they will change your life.

Stay out of the shit. Call “The Zoo”. That is all.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I made 2 big improvements this season. 1st was a putting change. I made the decision to go with a claw grip over the off-season last winter. Picked up my putter almost daily and just made practice strokes in my bedroom to get comfortable with it. Putted exclusively with it all season. I did have some bad putting rounds but I made more birdies this season than I ever have. Part of that was hitting better shots into greens but my putting confidence has never been as high as it is right now. 

The other important change I made this year is using a 3/4 lower flighted iron shot more often into greens. My home course is extremely windy. I started playing the shot more out of necessity to approach greens into the wind. As my level of comfort has grown with the shot I’ve started using it much more. I have hit a lot more greens on par 3’s by flighting a low cut into them.  More accuracy into greens and more confidence with a putter has lowered my handi cap and made me a more consistent player. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

On 11/16/2020 at 5:01 AM, onthehunt526 said:

Well I learned two very important things about golf this year and they will change your life.

Stay out of the shit. Call “The Zoo”. That is all.

I thought I’d elaborate on this. 

The Stay Out Of The Shit part: I’ve read LSW probably 10 times. I understood the concepts but never really put them into play too well. In other words I was lazy about shot zones and shaded areas and all of that. I have developed a pretty reliable draw. That sometimes under pressure became a hook. (Tight tee shot with trouble on the left, high grass you know “the shit”). So the last month of this season for whatever reason I decided, the hell with it, I’ll play it. Adjust my target 15 yards right, because even a straight shot is a lighter shade of trouble, and play the damn draw. I couldn’t shoot higher than 76 with this system, by adjusting to a smarter target... I play boring golf. Just the way I like it.

Call “The Zoo” This was accidentally discovered while hitting balls. I had my music going and “The Zoo” by Scorpions came on. For some reason, the main riff of that song just relaxes me. So much that I hum it when I have a challenging tee shot. And damn it, it works. 

The one hole in my game currently that keeps me from being scratch, is my wedges from 50-100 yards. It’s a full swing motion. I just think my swing gets a little long and I’m like “Oh shit slow down”, it has gotten better to the point where I don’t miss as many greens from that range I just have longer putts than I would like 30-40 feet instead of more legitimate birdie chances.

• Like 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

8 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

The Stay Out Of The Shit part: I’ve read LSW probably 10 times. I understood the concepts but never really put them into play too well. In other words I was lazy about shot zones and shaded areas and all of that. I have developed a pretty reliable draw. That sometimes under pressure became a hook. (Tight tee shot with trouble on the left, high grass you know “the shit”). So the last month of this season for whatever reason I decided, the hell with it, I’ll play it. Adjust my target 15 yards right, because even a straight shot is a lighter shade of trouble, and play the damn draw. I couldn’t shoot higher than 76 with this system, by adjusting to a smarter target... I play boring golf. Just the way I like it.

Call “The Zoo” This was accidentally discovered while hitting balls. I had my music going and “The Zoo” by Scorpions came on. For some reason, the main riff of that song just relaxes me. So much that I hum it when I have a challenging tee shot. And damn it, it works. 

The one hole in my game currently that keeps me from being scratch, is my wedges from 50-100 yards. It’s a full swing motion. I just think my swing gets a little long and I’m like “Oh shit slow down”, it has gotten better to the point where I don’t miss as many greens from that range I just have longer putts than I would like 30-40 feet instead of more legitimate birdie chances.

Great lessons learned and how much LSW can teach us! 

BTW, I am wondering how many of us have just U-tubed "the Zoo"......  Very catchy song, great blues tempo!     

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

8 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

thanks for the tip- I'm going to use a song in my head to get into rhythm, and I particularly like "Man in the Mirror" sung by Michael Jackson.

• Administrator
On 11/19/2020 at 12:11 AM, onthehunt526 said:

Yeah, reading it isn’t quite enough. You’ve got to actually apply the stuff in there. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! Last year (first year) I couldn’t break 100. This year I broke 100 and 90. I was able to stay below 100 all summer but didn’t have what it took to stay below 90. I ended the year at a 16.8. I think I can get to a 12 by the end of next year with enough work. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 9
3-Wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 
Irons: Titleist AP3 4-Pw

Wedges: 48,52,56 Titleist vokey
Putter: Scotty Select Newport 

16 hours ago, Double_AA said:

Yes! Last year (first year) I couldn’t break 100. This year I broke 100 and 90. I was able to stay below 100 all summer but didn’t have what it took to stay below 90. I ended the year at a 16.8. I think I can get to a 12 by the end of next year with enough work. 

You can do it next year!

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I finally broke 90 twice recently.  88 and 89.  It felt like a lot of work in terms of staying focused to get the distance, choose the correct club, and feel the distance/swing, especially on approach shots.  Two things that stood out that have helped me to break 90 and make better contact is to release my left arm during impact, and the other is to setup, and then position the ball half a club face further away.  I had the tendency to stand too close to the ball and this created an akward position. By standing further from the ball, I could allow myself to release outwards and not feel too cramped in.  Also related to my release, I had to learn to swing faster. What I thought was "normal" was actually slow. 9 irons were carrying 110 yards, 8 iron carried 125 yards.  While maintaining balance, a fuller and faster swing allows me to carry an 8 iron 155 yards.  At any rate, each person is going to swing at different pace; what I've learned is that it feels more effortless if I swing "faster" rather than try to control the pace and sequence.  This tendency to control the pace and face is probably why I generally do well around the green, but took longer to find my full swing.

Edited by greatgolfahead

• 1 month later...

Saw this thread again this morning, and thought I’d reflect on paper. 

1. I have certainly made improvements in my swing and, while  it will undoubtedly be a lifelong work,  it’s good to see that on camera. 

2. I’ve started really looking at other aspects of my game to include putting and chipping. This is a big weakness of mine, and many times I feel like nerves play a big part in that. With some advice from Iacas & others, I’ve started working on putting technique (which I’ve never done before) and I see this minimizing some of the bigger “misses” resulting from lack of distance control. 

3. Objectively, however, my HCP Index continues to rise, so one would argue I’m actually headed in the wrong direction.  At my lowest I was upper- 6 and now lower-mid 8, currently playing like a 10-12. I think this is multi-factorial:
  • There was a period about 1-1.5 years ago that I was playing really well (for me) as the result of making really solid contact and being able to consistently put the ball close to where I wanted it. But since then, I had some really good scores drop off which obviously affected my HI.
  • Wanting to improve, I made the decision to really focus on my full swing technique as best I could for the long term gain, understanding it may cost me short term problems with ball contact and having consistent misses for which I can account/prepare. This has been the case where some shots will get pushed right, others “strongly draw” left.  I understand this is part of the learning process and cost of improvement as so I’m no longer stressing the HI which I used to consider to be the benchmark of my improvement. 

As Tiger and many others have said, it’s a process and I need to be patient. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

The reason I improved last year was due to the pandemic and the quarantine. I had more time to get out to the golf course. I played almost twice as many rounds last year as the year before. This year will be more "normal" so with less play...I tend to lose some strokes that I don't practice as much. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)