IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

No, feel like I'm in a slump plus the lack of golf due to the virus and winter doesn't help. Went to the range at Dicks, rented it for a 30 minutes. Bottom line I sucked having not played for two months, Don't know what is going to happen come spring, I'm thinking of taken 5 or 6 lessons just trying to the mechanics back. Currently feel like I never played golf before.

On 10/22/2019 at 8:50 AM, Darkfrog said:

Yes, due to almost a year of full swing lessons and commitment to improving.

2017: Scores typically >100

2018: Learned to play my misses and averaged around 95, started lessons at the end of the year after a bout of shanks and extreme slices that no amount of YouTube instruction could fix (actually probably made it worse as I was self diagnosing my swing issues rather than seeking the input of an expert teacher)

2019: After starting lessons I went through a score regression and improvement cycle due to how awkward the new swing mechanics felt. Finally got comfortable summer 2019 and scores are now consistently around 90, and often dipping into 80s and even a personal best 81 at my peak. Handicap is at my all time low (hovering just below 18), but I expect this to increase in the next few revision cycles as I've recently been hitting the ball poorly, and have more lessons booked to see what might be going wrong.

Update post.

Since my previous post in this thread, I am a better golfer. In spite of 2020 being a shitty year with regards to many things, it was a good year for my golf game.

My handicap index has dropped from around 18 to 12.2. Continuous lessons have played a big part in my improvement as well as being much more committed to good practice habits in the past year, especially the 5-S philosophy. I have also committed to really putting the LSW concepts into practice on course. Hope to continue the trend over the next year.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
17 hours ago, cooke119 said:

No, feel like I'm in a slump plus the lack of golf due to the virus and winter doesn't help. Went to the range at Dicks, rented it for a 30 minutes. Bottom line I sucked having not played for two months, Don't know what is going to happen come spring, I'm thinking of taken 5 or 6 lessons just trying to the mechanics back. Currently feel like I never played golf before.

How about Evolvr?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...

On October 1 the answer was a clear yes.  In the hear prior my index went from 23 to 17.4, and was clearly trending down.  Then, it seems that I forgot how to swing, chip, and putt, all at the same time.  I wasn't trying to change a thing, but overnight I seemed to lose a club and a half of distance (ball looked good in flight, and ended way short), and all of my feel.  Now I have hit the hard cap, I'm a 22.4.  I have gone back to lessons from the same guy that had me trending in the right direction, and I think I am finally, after a couple months, hitting the ball better.  And my feel around the green seems to be returning.  I live on decent chipping, since I don't hit the green as often as I would like.  When I play a good round, it's got a number of one putt pars. 

I wonder if I had some kind of health issue that I didn't even know about, and have recovered? Five years ago (next month) I was diagnosed with colon cancer, and had radiation, a couple of surgeries, and chemo, and I also deal with asthma and diabetes, though they are relatively well controlled.  But, maybe something was going on?

The good news is that last Saturday I had a legit eagle putt (about 12 feet, missed it, but I was there).  Missed it, but I was there.  So maybe....

6 minutes ago, jlbos83 said:

On October 1 the answer was a clear yes.  In the hear prior my index went from 23 to 17.4, and was clearly trending down.  Then, it seems that I forgot how to swing, chip, and putt, all at the same time.  I wasn't trying to change a thing, but overnight I seemed to lose a club and a half of distance (ball looked good in flight, and ended way short), and all of my feel.  Now I have hit the hard cap, I'm a 22.4.  I have gone back to lessons from the same guy that had me trending in the right direction, and I think I am finally, after a couple months, hitting the ball better.  And my feel around the green seems to be returning.  I live on decent chipping, since I don't hit the green as often as I would like.  When I play a good round, it's got a number of one putt pars. 

I wonder if I had some kind of health issue that I didn't even know about, and have recovered? Five years ago (next month) I was diagnosed with colon cancer, and had radiation, a couple of surgeries, and chemo, and I also deal with asthma and diabetes, though they are relatively well controlled.  But, maybe something was going on?

The good news is that last Saturday I had a legit eagle putt (about 12 feet, missed it, but I was there).  Missed it, but I was there.  So maybe....

Good to hear you are making a comeback. When God designed us she should have issued a warranty on faulty bodies. We should be able to go into her dealership and get replacement parts.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

After having a golf simulator for 2 months my golf scores have stabilized tremendously. Previously I used to play in the mid to high 90s. My last 3 scores has been 89, 89 and 90 on tough courses. The biggest improvement is that I have completed a golf wedge matrix with 1/3, 2/3 and full swing distances and now I am able to hit the greens over 80% of of the time within 30 yards to 90 yards. This limits most bad holes to bogeys. 

There are stretches of 9 holes that I have only 2 over. However, my slices and pulls sometimes resulted in big numbers on a few holes.

With the golf simulator, I can see clearly that I still have an out to in swing. When I consciously pretend to have a glove under my right arm pit I hit the balls really well with no pull or slice in practice. However, on the course my pulls and slices often come back which results in double bogeys or even triple bogeys when I lose my balls.

I am really optimistic. With the simulator and instant feedback I think I will be able to resolved my out to in swing problem in a few months.

Edited by khalespace

Irons: 0.5 inch short and 2* Flat Mavrik 5 to AW (AW-105, PW-120, 9-135, 8-145) The lofts for these clubs are about 3* to 5* stronger  than standard.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-R series 52* and 56*. (80, 60)

Nickent: 4DX 2 hybrid 17* and 4 hybrid 23* (185 and 170 carry)

3 Wood: Tour Edge XGC 13* (195 carry)

Driver: Callaway FT IZ Driver 9* (210 carry, ~230 total)

• 3 weeks later...

No but my slice is gone. I need to play more. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 1 month later...

No, im undoubtedly worse.

I stopped playing golf for a few years because of yips.

But this year, i got the urge to play golf again and for the largest part, i seem to have cured my yips.

I havent scored one iota better now ive got my yips under control than I did when i had actual yips, and to be honest im quickly becoming bored of the game again.

Ive had some lessons, doing range work, none of it is making any difference whatsoever and i dont particularly like the course im a member at that much.

At first i convinced myself i just needed time and it was rust and the scores would come, but to be honest im playing awful.

• 1 month later...

I started playing golf 11-12 years ago with a set of (old) used clubs my son-in-law gave me. I played once or twice a month and was always a high handicapper. I still am actually.

I retired at the end of last year and moved and I am near a golf course I joined in February and I play 2-3 times a week now.

In April I bought new clubs, in June I bought a new higher lofted driver and I’m better since February.

I’ll never make it to the Senior Tour, but I like being better and I like getting better.

• 1 month later...

When the year started, I was sitting on a 12.8 handicap. My goal, stated and internal, was to get into single digits. Anything 9.9 or better would be acceptable. I had some low-hanging fruit in chipping and a place to practice it so spent a couple weeks doing that. Got my putter regripped. Sitting on a 15.3 today.

And the more I worked on my game the worse I got. My putting went from a positive in stokes gained to a negative. My scores shot up. And it was something different every time out. My most recent round, hole one there is trouble overdriving the fairway or slicing. So I kept the driver and 3w in the bag, went with my 3h trying for about 220 off the tee. Got 163 out of what felt like a well hit ball. With 165 going in, went with my trusty 8i...and got 129 off it.

Next hole blasted driver, on my second shot went to lay up to the wide part of the fairway on a par 5 left side...and instantly blocked it into the water hazard.  Couple hole later, 8i again fro 165 out....and blasted it 40 yards past the green.

No distance control, no consistent direction...I have taken to "joking" I have a four way miss...short, long, left or right. One day I have a 80 yard slice, the next day everything is a dead pull. My putting went from averaging about 1.6 to 1.7 putts a hole to 2.2. I shot over a hundred without losing a ball.  I went from consistently in the mid 90s to mid 80s to where I am riding a streak of three straight rounds over 100. 

Clearly...I am not a better golfer than a year ago. Packing the clubs away for the year and going to hit the bike for a few months. I can play bad golf and still enjoy...but this has just been frustrating.

• 1 month later...

The answer for me is absolutely yes. My best scores aren't monumentally different, but I've been working with an instructor to fix my "bugaboo" and the work is paying dividends. My ball striking is better and more consistent, I've added some distance, I've essentially eliminated my hook miss and my swing looks as good as it ever has. I recently shot my best score on a "real" golf course and am hopeful more similar rounds are to come.  

• 2 months later...

I'm doing better at golf than last year. Worked on my wrist angles, shoulder  rotation with MISIG  and improved swing  speed with over 10mph. Nowadays mostly focusing on forward tilt and golf swing balance. Hope i get there soon and tell you some pretty good secrets so that you also can imply and be helpful.

I am definitely a better golfer today than I was a year ago. I have improved in nearly every area though I have gone through a bout of driver yips that I am working my way out of. Once I get that figured out I expect to have a decent year.

I don't know if I'm playing better golf this year or not, but somehow my wife has gotten it into her head that I'm playing too much golf lately.  In fact, in came to a head last night about 11:30 PM.  She suddenly shouted at me "Golf! Golf! Golf!  That's all you think about is golf!!!!"  And, I have to be honest.  It frightened the life out of me!  I mean, after all, you don't expect to see someone on the 12th green that time of night!

• Funny 2

5 minutes ago, Never3putt said:

I don't know if I'm playing better golf this year or not, but somehow my wife has gotten it into her head that I'm playing too much golf lately.  In fact, in came to a head last night about 11:30 PM.  She suddenly shouted at me "Golf! Golf! Golf!  That's all you think about is golf!!!!"  And, I have to be honest.  It frightened the life out of me!  I mean, after all, you don't expect to see someone on the 12th green that time of night!

If you still like your wife you need to spend more time with her. Talking, laughing, dining out, cocktails at an oceanside bar, small road trips.

You can still spend as much time as you do at playing golf. And thinking about golf.

This is the start of my new advice column for the lovelorn.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If you still like your wife you need to spend more time with her. Talking, laughing, dining out, cocktails at an oceanside bar, small road trips.

You can still spend as much time as you do at playing golf. And thinking about golf.

This is the start of my new advice column for the lovelorn.

My internet went out during the rain storm the other day and I had to spend some time with the family.....they seem like nice people.

• Funny 1

Finished out last year shooting just under 90.  Finished 2020 about 10 strokes higher, so yes I am doing better.  Had the best front nine ever last week with a 1 over 37.  This lets me know my game is getting better.  Goal for 2022, will be to “average” 9 GIR/nGIR.  This means the approach game has to vastly improve.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star