IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

Because of playing very little golf over the past 3 years I honestly hope to change things this year and devote more time on this game I love. I think I'm closer to a 7 when I get my ghin updated.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Yes, massively. Have started getting my short game in order (glaring weakness) and a series of lessons and swing changes mean I have way more control over low point and therefore striking.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 months later...

Putting - Yes
Short Game - Yes
Long Game - On my way there. Finally getting the feel for a shorter swing. I can dial it in almost on demand now. My distance wedges, and short punch shots are all much better with better contact. Which is a factor of correct backswing length and proper sequencing. Shortening my swing has opened up a flaw elsewhere that was being compensated for when I took a long backswing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Bit of an easy one for me, only started up last summer and due to a few helpful tips from friends and YouTube. Oh, and just guys you bump into out and about on the course, I feel more confident and eager to learn . Golf is one of those great games where you dobt get offended when a stranger comes over and let's you know how you can improve or little hints on what theyve done to improve their game. 

Met some cracking people through golf already and it's a testament to the game and the type of people it attracts. Looking forward to who, what and the wheres the game is going to take me. 

#golfinfatuation #wifeisgonnaburnmyclubs

#whosmywife

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Shortening my swing has opened up a flaw elsewhere that was being compensated for when I took a long backswing. 

I feel your pain, brother. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I am starting to understand the game and my better and better. 

Because of my divorce and kids I have less time to practice but I am practicing better.

Also I understand now that blades and I are not the best match, sure the feel of them are great, but I am penalizing myself using them,

I struggle to find the sweet spot all the time and therefore last year I started playing more forgiving clubs still forged but more forgiving.

My latest change just recently was the switch from a 3 iron to the Callaway Apex UW (21 deg loft )

Also I am starting to feel more and more that I play the game for fun, and sure I want to play well and to the best of my abilities but I don't that angry with myself that I can blow up a few holes. 

I picked up the game last year after 3 years off. In my best days I was a hdc 7. I started again at 12, finished last year on 9,8 and my current is 8,1.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

• 2 months later...

Just going with the two index fingers down the shaft grip (the old man grip) on my Spyder X has made me a better putter. It has also made me a better green reader. Two years ago, I changed the plane of my swing which really helped my driver and fairway wood accuracy. My goal is to shoot some rounds in the 60s consistently. I'd like to shoot my age before I can't play anymore. 

I am about the same as last season and expect to be about the same next season. I don't have enough time to practice from August through April so my game will regress until school ends. Then I play more and get better. I wish I was one of those guys who doesn't need to play much to keep the same scores but mine usually go up by about 5-6 shots when I only play once a week. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

I am not sure if I am better than last year, but it does seems like I am not as bad.. 😉

Good for you. I have the same story. My HI came down about a stroke as did my averave score. I was hoping to break par. Came close a couple of times, but could not close the deal. 

What metric are you using?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

What metric are you using?

I don't have anything to track individual stats but HCP dropped by 6 shots. Having said that, last two years went to shit because of a bad ankle injury so some of these shots were bound to drop off just by me getting healthy. Work at GEARS was huge in solving a major structural flaw in my swing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

Mine was 5.4 last year and 7.5 this year. I shot a 69 out of nowhere last August which drove some really good play, and reduced my handicap. Recognizing that putting was holding me back, I was fit for a new putter and took lessons and my putting deteriorated and my handicap spiked to 7.9.

i abandoned that putter and was fit into a new center-shafted mallet that I love using.  Putting stats have improved, while short game has declined.  I practice both indoors on most days.  Recently changed my swing and hit it pretty straight, and my handicap has dropped slightly.  I expect it to drop more as old scores roll off and my new scores are added.  We will see.

This year, I'm definitely better than last year. 

At this time last year my handicap was 19 this year 14, so that's progress. I will say this my really bad rounds this year are equally bad if not worse than my really bad rounds last year. Apparently I suck at playing while working through swing changes. However, my really good rounds this year are better than my really good rounds last year. 

I'm much more in control of my game this year. Most times out I "feel" like I have a chance to play well. Most parts of my game are at least on track to improve to where I want them to be. 

Three things still holding me back. 

1. I don't play enough rounds. 
  2. My wedge play 30-80 yards is costing me strokes against my target handicap.
  3. Short putting. My under 10 feet putting is costing me strokes against my target handicap. 

I really feel like I'm getting there though. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I'm better, It's measurable. Still a long way to go.  I am much better about avoiding multiple blow-ups. Need to start making birdies, dispersion on approaches is still not nearly good enough. 

For me, finding a way, even if imperfect, to measure progress has been one of the keys to improvment.

20220907-204651_Golfmetrics.jpg

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

• 4 months later...

Hi I'm Mark. I've been a visitor to TST before and even posted a few times but it was a long long while ago. @iacas posts elsewhere which is how I found him and I've given him some videos in the past and more recently on evolvr. Plan on posting here much more often as I begin a journey to improvement.

Quick answer to the thread is no I am not better than I was a year ago. No I am not better than I was 5 years ago. I am the same golfer I've been since I got past the quick gains of being a new golfer. In the past year I've had some injury stuff that I used as an excuse for not getting better in 2022, and it's not like it's not true. But in all honesty I set a goal to be a single digit each year (I'm a 15) and I never get there. And I never get there because despite talking a good game I don't do the stuff to get better. I get a lesson here or there and then for whatever reason I fall off the wagon. It's gotta stop. Here's my strokes gained compared to a 10 handicap in 2022. If I showed 2021 it wouldn't look that much different except that in 2022 I drove the ball better than in the past for whatever reason. I stink at improving, and that's going to change for good.

image.png.0c71d356e7e2ea7ede31470994834abb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I _think_ I am striking it better, based on what launch monitor practice sessions show, than I did when I got the launch monitor in June, 2022. I had alot of injuries and a very busy year at work this year, so I only played about 10-15 rounds I think, some of them outside of the allowable times or conditions for posting, so I don't think I have enough rounds to make a valid comparison of my handicap, scores, Arccos data, etc. So I answered that I am about the same. I think next year I will probably be a little better, if I stay healthy enough to keep practicing this winter and get to actually play more next year.  

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

• 1 month later...

I'm certainly getting better but I need to improve my mental game which is certainly affecting parts of my game esp in comps .... 

every year I make steps to scratch ... if I just put in 9 hole scores I'd be pretty close as I have a fair share of sub par 9s ... but I really want to do it the harder way and only put in 18 hole cards ..

I find even in my best 18 hole rounds I have a couple shocking holes either at the start or near the end .. 

Had 74 recently ... was -2 early in the round but thanks to a mental lapse I rushed and skulled a chip ... then back it up with a hosel strike long iron to the trees ... so lost sub par within two back to back holes .. real basic poor golf..

Positives of course I putting myself in the position to score a sub par round ... off the tips might I add >>>>

Go Foxy Go

I think I am just going off handicap. Was a 20 at the start of last year got it down to 15 on the nose. Now 15.7. Have some work to do this up coming season. Driver swing is pure shit, will need to work on that to show improvement this season. Distance is a real problem. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear: