IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

• Administrator

See the poll and answer honestly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned this topic

As of right now, I'm pretty much the same as last year. Perhaps a little better. However, with my new plan to be much more focused and dedicated to improvement, I don't see any reason that I can't be better before the end of this year let alone next year.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I am better than last year, but I am doubtful by this time next year I'll be much better. Not because I don't want too, but limited practice time and physical ability have me pretty pegged right now.

Michael

I am a better golfer than this time last year. I was a 12/13 handicap this time last year. Now, I'm down in the 9 range. 

Hard to say for sure on next year. The biggest issue for me is having the time to improve. It's mostly incremental improvements in my full swing at this point (unless I go backwards, which happens sometimes). Most of my improvement will come from time spent on my short game, and I'd honestly rather play golf than practice short game. And I spent most of my practice time so far this year getting back to where I was at the beginning of winter, so I'm worried about that happening again. Bottom line, I doubt I go backwards, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to go forwards.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I am definitely a better golfer than I was in May 2015. I didn't have an official index then, but I had only broken 100 a couple times. In 2015, I didn't play my first round until July or so, but the majority of my rounds were in the mid-90's, including a PR 93 (twice).

As for next year, I'm optimistic. My goal for this season is to break 90, and drop my index (now 23.3) below 20. We shall see.

• Like 1

- John

I am better than  last year. Not so much by scoring lower, but by consistent play. My handicap has not change that much. 

Last year I could break 80, but I could also shoot a high 80. Even a low 90 would show up in poor weather. This year there are less high 80 scores. Plus, this year a coulple of 70 rounds are stroke or two lower than last year. 

I owe most of this to lots of play and practice. Plus, some physical repairs I had to have done a few years ago are settling in nicely. I am healthier. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Much better than last year.. I almost never broke a 100 and now if I don't break a 100 I'm disappointed.  I'm hoping by this time next year I'm consistently breaking 90.

• Like 1

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Didn't really improve score wise, but now I'm monitoring my game with Game Golf and swing with more video. Overall optimistic. Voted: about the same, hoping to improve next year.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Now
now.JPG

Then
Then.JPG

Almost better across the board. Yes I am much better than I was last year. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I voted about the same but I feel I am a little better than I was this time last year and I'll be better next year.

My putting is a lot better now than it was last year. My short game hasn't changed much but I've since learned when I can and can't try to hit certain shots. My long game probably about the same TBH. I'm hitting the ball slightly better now but still prone to huge misses that cost me a lot of strokes.

While I feel that my skills have improved (and are continuing to improve) for the most part, I'm just not playing enough to make significant changes to my handicap, and I'm certainly not playing enough to allow me to learn how to score lower with my current skillset.

I feel like I can make a significant jump if I play more often, which I'm trying to do this year. That's the reason why I think I'll be better next year.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I voted yes on both.  My swing has improved a ton.  My scores have improved only a little because I have only played twice so far this year.  My intention is to start playing at least once a week for the rest of 2016.  Plus I'm still taking lessons . .and have lots of room for improvement . .so, yeah . . 2017 could be "my year", lol. 

Same as last year didn't play much, will play more this year, so hopeful, getting wiser, hopefully more body movement aware, practicing better.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Not as good as last year since I have not been able to play much.  Only 4 rounds since late March and my fairway game and pitching/chipping are causing a lot of wasted strokes.  I hope to pick up the pace and if I can play twice/week I should get back to my normal game perhaps with some improvement.

• Upvote 2

I didn't play much at all last year, so I'm probably about the same. That said, I can probably think about breaking 100 again soon (maybe 90?) if I keep putting in the reps.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I don't think I'm better than last year, but I think I will improve before the end of this year and will carry that over to next year.

My (illegitimate) HI is lower but I'm playing a very short course almost exclusively with irons. So overall, my game is not better and may even be bit worse.

I do believe my swing mechanics are better, however. If I can simplify my swing thoughts and transfer my iron play to my woods and driver, I feel there's a good chance of playing better on longer courses and earning a lower HI. Those of course are big "ifs".

Jon

I am definitely better today than I was at this time last year.   My only plan this summer is to practice and play, so yeah I expect to be better next year. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Definitely better, mainly thanks to advice given in my swing thread, the quickie pitching thread and other advice read on this forum.