IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

Definitely by a couple of strokes.   Towards the end of last year, I picked up the impact snap device and it has really helped.  But also because I've been better about club selection and figuring out the best place to miss - so notably I've been able to get up and down more frequently.   

Still, I'm sure I can learn a thing or to from the Lowest Score Wins book! 

I am nearly as skilled as I was as a junior golfer, but with the benefit of 20+ yards off the tee. So probably a better golfer than then depending on how you look at it. This year is also the most I've played in my 20s (Probably got out on average 8-10 times in previous years).

My long game has improved in the last 2 years. Far fewer lost shots off the tee and have a one way miss with the driver since an equipment change. Irons are usually solid.

My wedge game from 120 and in is pretty bad which was never the case before, my putting still sucks.

Edited by aleph

I am not a better golfer than last year... because I haven't played for 5 months with a stupid elbow injury.  Which is also why you have seen too much of me on these forums.  But when I make my grand and heroic comeback I will be better than ever.  And, unfortunately, you will have to hear about it.  😁

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, been taking lessons for about a year now and my scores have dropped by around 5 to 8 strokes. 

Before last summer my best round ever was an 88, now I am shooting low 80s on a regular basis.

Still struggling with my driver and not have to get better at chipping and putting but the game has been more enjoyable as of late.

I’m a better golfer, in my opinion but my handicap is about the same.  I played some really tough courses over the last few months as opposed to the local muni quality and I’ve shot some pretty high scores and I’ve been playing more back tees. I know the course slope and rating somewhat account for the difference but my scores overall have been a little bigger.  That being said, even though I may shoot a round in the high eighties/low nineties, I’m really satisfied with my playing,  Also, this year I’m driving the ball much better, but my putting has gone AWOL.

I am definitely a better golfer. Especially in the last month or two. And my handicap is trending down slowly. Getting a bit more consistent.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! Played here and there for a year or so when I was 16 - Now 24, and played my first round in 6 years on a holiday to Florida in April. I was absolutely horrendous to the point of struggling to even hit the ball, but I caught the bug, hard!

The last few months have involved more golf than i could ever have imagined before, and somewhere in between the countless high slices off the tee, and shanks down the fairway, I am finally finding consistency shooting in the high 80s, and even drawing the driver off the tee!

As anyone cursed with a slice would know, be it effective or not, seeing that tee ball go straight, or slightly right is a god send! Here's to the next year!

Definitely better than last year. Comparison from 2018-2019

2018: Scoring in mid-high 40s for nine holes from white tees, 200-yard drives, up-and-down about 10% of the time

2019: Scoring in low-mid 40s for nine holes from white tees, 230-yard drives, up-bad down about 40% of the time. 

I imagine that this time next year, I’ll be breaking 40 in at least a third of my rounds, and getting up-and-down at least two-thirds of the time.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, due to almost a year of full swing lessons and commitment to improving.

2017: Scores typically >100

2018: Learned to play my misses and averaged around 95, started lessons at the end of the year after a bout of shanks and extreme slices that no amount of YouTube instruction could fix (actually probably made it worse as I was self diagnosing my swing issues rather than seeking the input of an expert teacher)

2019: After starting lessons I went through a score regression and improvement cycle due to how awkward the new swing mechanics felt. Finally got comfortable summer 2019 and scores are now consistently around 90, and often dipping into 80s and even a personal best 81 at my peak. Handicap is at my all time low (hovering just below 18), but I expect this to increase in the next few revision cycles as I've recently been hitting the ball poorly, and have more lessons booked to see what might be going wrong.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

It has been a challenging year but in general I am improving. Went from a 7.5 to a 4.5, have been threatening par, regularly making 2-4 birddies a round. Heading into winter I will be working on speed and start line.

Two years ago after my arthritic knees gave out, I wondered whether I would ever play again.  With therapy, change in posture and positions, swing modifications and a lot of practice; I am getting my game back plus more consistency.

I am excited about golf again.  The forums and YouTube are fantastic resources.

For some reason this new game I have, my green reading and putting is mediocre, but 1-2 birdies a round.  For 18 holes, I score low 80's with 50% GIR.

Progress or not, let's enjoy this beautiful game for as long as we can.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its a mixed bag. Got the yips in June 2018 and only got out of them a few months ago. Playing handicap went up from 11 to 13 and lost a fair bit of money in the process. Finally, clawed my way out of the yips (which is a BIG DEAL, right) and proceeded to lose my driver swing. Then tried making a major change in my swing, and gave it up after two months. 

Now, however, i feel, I am on the cusp, of suddenly becoming much better. Working on total external attention which has been a problem for me, and so far, its working well. 

Fairways and greens.

Aasim

I'm actually not a better golfer than I was two months ago.  I don't get to play as much once school starts so my short game/putting are not nearly as good when I do get to play. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

NO question I am a better player than 1 year ago. Handicap is down from 7.5 to 4.5. An equipment update has yielded longer and more consistent drives. Renewed focus on ball striking has resulted in more greens hit in Reg. And better ball striking has resulted in more 8-15' putts and more birdies. This is the first time ever that I am routinely making 2-4 birdies per round which has led to routine scores in the low-mid 70s.

The goal for the winter is to increase ball speed: Lessons, working on consistency of strike, fitness and mobility work and SuperSpeed training. Par was in danger at the end of this year (dropped shots due to to aggressive a line or a poor strike). With elimination of those shots I expect that <70 will happen next year. 

9 hours ago, aasimzkhan said:

Its a mixed bag. Got the yips in June 2018 and only got out of them a few months ago. Playing handicap went up from 11 to 13 and lost a fair bit of money in the process. Finally, clawed my way out of the yips (which is a BIG DEAL, right) and proceeded to lose my driver swing. Then tried making a major change in my swing, and gave it up after two months. 

Now, however, i feel, I am on the cusp, of suddenly becoming much better. Working on total external attention which has been a problem for me, and so far, its working well. 

Fairways and greens.

Aasim

Were you gambling on a handicap you no longer had?  Or is this due to lessons or something?

Much better golfer now than i was a year ago. Just bought a new set of irons from Hireko. I had been playing with Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 11 wood, and a PW and putter due to developing a nasty shank with irons that I could not seem to overcome. I decided to take the plunge and focus on getting past this problem with my irons. It's still a work in progress, but I'm making progress with it. Handicap is down to 17 from 22.