IGNORED

Kelvin Miyahara - Spieth release change is why he's playing badly

Note: This thread is 2850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Those are different angles he's comparing. Left swing, camera is more left of Spieth. He acknowledges different camera angles in the video. What's the difference between a change and that just being a bad swing? What about a down the line comparison?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

His analysis may be correct but the clips he's using aren't comparable imo.  One looks like a 3W, the other a driver, ball position is different and we don't know what kind of shot Jordan is trying to hit which could explain the difference in release.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Watch the video again and focus on his left foot. It's not just the hands and arms. It's his footwork. Look at his left foot. On the picture on the left he's blowing through his left foot like I do. This is hard on the knees and ankle. In the swing on the right he's not. He's trying to prolong his golf career. So he might not win as often this season, but once he gets this change working it will be better for him long term. It might save him knee surgery. Surgery on the left knee would hurt his career a lot more down the road. A torn meniscus and the knee is not the same. 

Now if he wore spikeless shoes like I do it might not be so bad, but these pros wear spikes. Even though they're not metal spikes, there is additional grip in the ground and therefore the spikes create additional torque on the joints when there is twisting. I know my joints feel the difference when I wear spikes and when I don't. I need more advil when I wear spikes.

That's my opinion of this. But I'm not a pro. I'm just a hack.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Kelvin often does too much analysis with faulty camera angles. It always makes me question his conclusions. 

That said, I do not like the changes Jordan is making. Whatever the reason he felt the need to change things I don't like the result. Seems to me he is trying to open the face more.

Plus as I said in my article he said he wanted to make the changes to swing faster, which he isn't doing. Long term I may have to eat crow, because maybe he gets better overall from the changes. Tiger played pretty awful in 1998 while making swing changes, but became forevermore allstar from it. Jordan is probably looking at these changes longer term.

Time will tell.

Michael

3 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Watch the video again and focus on his left foot. It's not just the hands and arms. It's his footwork. Look at his left foot. On the picture on the left he's blowing through his left foot like I do. This is hard on the knees and ankle. In the swing on the right he's not. He's trying to prolong his golf career. So he might not win as often this season, but once he gets this change working it will be better for him long term. It might save him knee surgery. Surgery on the left knee would hurt his career a lot more down the road. A torn meniscus and the knee is not the same. 

Now if he wore spikeless shoes like I do it might not be so bad, but these pros wear spikes. Even though they're not metal spikes, there is additional grip in the ground and therefore the spikes create additional torque on the joints when there is twisting. I know my joints feel the difference when I wear spikes and when I don't. I need more advil when I wear spikes.

That's my opinion of this. But I'm not a pro. I'm just a hack.

Possibly. If you go to 6:27, though he's still turning over on the ankle and exposing the sole of his shoe to the camera. Possibly less so (if we could see better without the shadow).

It also looks to me like his head is a bit further behind his lead hip on the right vs. the left. But that could be due to trying for a more positive AoA with the driver. This is why you should compare swings with the same club. It's not like the footage isn't out there. Lazy.

Kevin

I think his swing looks pretty much the same as it did last year.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

58 minutes ago, mvmac said:

I think his swing looks pretty much the same as it did last year.

I'd largely agree with this, but I do see a possible slight difference in the footwork / roll timing around impact as @DrvFrShow pointed out. Could just be due to the different clubs.

Kevin

One swing is from last year and one swing is from yesterday ;-) Camera is a little more in front of him on the left and higher. Basically identical swings.

jordan 5.jpgjordan 6.jpgjordan 7.jpg

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

One swing is from last year and one swing is from yesterday ;-) Camera is a little more in front of him on the left and higher. Basically identical swings.

Much better camera angles to compare, only difference I see is his hands look a bit closer to his body in the picture on the right.  

Joe Paradiso

I don't think he is playing overly bad, people just seem to be numb to greatness and expect it all the time. He is human just like anyone else, he is gonna have bad weeks here and there. Just took a very brief look at his stats and they aren't way off. He could have an average week and other players shoot lights out and make him look like he is playing poor.

19 minutes ago, JxQx said:

I don't think he is playing overly bad, people just seem to be numb to greatness and expect it all the time. He is human just like anyone else, he is gonna have bad weeks here and there. Just took a very brief look at his stats and they aren't way off. He could have an average week and other players shoot lights out and make him look like he is playing poor.

I wouldn't event call it a bad week... More so a bad day or two. The commentators sure had fun throwing around their 2 cents as to what they thought he was doing wrong though, as always.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Im sure the kid will be fine long term. Everyone is so desperate for the next tiger that knee-jerk overreactions happen. Ive seen him getting quick and choppy with a couple swings, nothing to say he is having a major problem. That punch shot he hit under the trees and on the green (16th hole?) in the final round was balls though. Nothing wrong with that swing...

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, rob0225 said:

The number of world renown golf instructors on this site continues to amaze me.

Have people here said things with which you disagree?

If so, elaborate. Otherwise, why comment just to make a rude comment?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The key with swing analysis and comparing swings is that the camera angles really need to be the same. If they're off, an untrained eye can get the wrong impression. So when you set up your tripods make sure you have marks on them so you're not higher or lower. Make sure you're not further to the left or right. Lining up with an alignment stick or two ball markers wouldn't hurt. But when comparing two swings of a pro you're at the whim of the camera person at the venue, and you're lucky if it's a steady camera.

Julia

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

The key with swing analysis and comparing swings is that the camera angles really need to be the same. If they're off, an untrained eye can get the wrong impression. So when you set up your tripods make sure you have marks on them so you're not higher or lower. Make sure you're not further to the left or right. Lining up with an alignment stick or two ball markers wouldn't hurt. But when comparing two swings of a pro you're at the whim of the camera person at the venue, and you're lucky if it's a steady camera.

Spoiler

:offtopic:

Like technology relative to legislation, so is video technology and how people use it. The tech is way ahead of the sophistication of how people adapt it, if they adapt it all judging by its usage at your typical range. A majority of people still think it's ludicrous to use a camera, let alone develop better techniques in attaining consistent angles and such. It's 2015 and I have problems fathoming why people don't take advantage of the technology we have today. And it's not like it's not affordable to the masses. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

8 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Much better camera angles to compare, only difference I see is his hands look a bit closer to his body in the picture on the right.  

That could just be the camera angle or slightly different frame. Those two frames look identical to me too. Next week he'll win, and people will look for a reason :)

You know the reason they put Spieth under a microscope is the "blow up" at the Masters, right? What do they say when Jason Day is off and shoots a 79? He's done that, you know.

Julia

Spoiler

Note: This thread is 2850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!