IGNORED

2016 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational

krupa
Note: This thread is 2886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Jordan lives making things interesting. Great chip for birdie!

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, like or hate Spieth, that was pretty entertaining to watch down the stretch. Absolutely incredible finish by JS.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Upvote 1

Yessir.  Next tournament, top 3 in the world coming in off a W.  Never happened before, and golf is pretty old.  Wow.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Can't wait for the US Open to start. It's going to be a fantastic tournament this year with all Top 3 hitting their strides. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

So much for Jordan Spieth's inability to close.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

1 minute ago, Chilli Dipper said:

So much for Jordan Spieth's inability to close.

Right, or that Masters blow up messes with him so much, he's done.  Ridiculous, won his 3rd tournament off the Masters debacle.  He's 22, it's Tiger-esque.  

Don't believe he'll get 79 wins or 14 majors cuz the field is a lot deeper than in Tiger's day, but he's gonna be one of the greatest ever, and I think Rory and JDay will be too.  

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

25 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Can't wait for the US Open to start. It's going to be a fantastic tournament this year with all Top 3 hitting their strides. 

I don't think you'll see all three contend though. Rory's struggled on tough courses with fast greens. I do think Jordan and Day will both do well there. But Oakmont is gonna be more of a blood bath then shootout.

Edited by ChrisP

Great win for Spieth, he not only played well enough today to win, he dominated the end of the round.  What's his schedule for the next two weeks leading up to the US Open?

Joe Paradiso

Memorial, all 3, next week.  After that, the US Open, I think.  June is gonna be fun.  Hope the wins come from these 3 guys (or Ricky).  

No idea why this emoticon is here, can't delete it.:-O

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Yessir.  Next tournament, top 3 in the world coming in off a W.  Never happened before, and golf is pretty old.  Wow.

The OWGR isn't as old, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

The OWGR isn't as old, though.

I hear you but really, this has never been done.  Frustrates me that people don't quite get what's happening in the world of golf today.  

We've had 2 eras of one dominant player, yes, great, that happened often before.  What's going on now is something different and far more special, in my opinion.   

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I hear you but really, this has never been done.

I'm just saying you can't be sure about that. You don't know that Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, and Sam Snead didn't play a tournament where all three had won their last start. Or some older trio of players, or Arnie, Jack, and Player… or… some other trio before 1986.

That's only 30 years. Golf pre-dates that by a fair number of years.

14 minutes ago, Gunther said:

We've had 2 eras of one dominant player, yes, great, that happened often before.  What's going on now is something different and far more special, in my opinion.   

Parity? :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm just saying you can't be sure about that. You don't know that Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, and Sam Snead didn't play a tournament where all three had won their last start. Or some older trio of players, or Arnie, Jack, and Player… or… some other trio before 1986.

That's only 30 years. Golf pre-dates that by a fair number of years.

Parity? :-)

No, never happened before cuz typically they all played the same events.  Probably happened that the top 2 had won but never the top 3 players in the world.  It is a special accomplishment which I expect CBS to play to the hilt next week, with good reason.

On your topic of parity, yes, touche, to some degree.  But this is far from that.  These top 3 guys are head and shoulders above the rest of the 200 tour players.  Again, don't think it's ever been seen in golf, especially given the depth of field today.  The other 3somes you mentioned were separated by age more than these 3.  It's unique and will be acknowledged as such over time.  I'm just trying to bring some early perspective on it.

I am going to be a naysayer at this time on Jordan.  I am a big fan, but the Colonial did not require that Jordan hit the driver today.  He is going to have to hit the driver accurately to compete in the tournaments this summer.  It was a great performance by Spieth today without a doubt.  

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Gunther said:

No, never happened before cuz typically they all played the same events.

And yet, you don't know that. You're simply playing the odds.

16 minutes ago, Gunther said:

It's unique and will be acknowledged as such over time.  I'm just trying to bring some early perspective on it.

Maybe. Given your history of predictions, I'd suggest it's far more likely you've just doomed at least one of them to abject failure from here on out. :-D

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe. Given your history of predictions, I'd suggest it's far more likely you've just doomed at least one of them to abject failure from here on out. :-D

Given yours, I'd say we're even. 

2 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I don't think you'll see all three contend though. Rory's struggled on tough courses with fast greens. I do think Jordan and Day will both do well there. But Oakmont is gonna be more of a blood bath then shootout.

And man, am I looking forward to it! Love me an Oakmont bloodbath! That course can beat people up. The only thing that could screw things up is heavy rain. I was there in '73 when Johnny Miller won with a final round 63. It rained just about all night every night of the championship, but it didn't rain during the day. Just a solid, low overcast. I don't think Oakmont saw a single ray of sunshine the whole tournament!

44 minutes ago, Lastpick said:

I am going to be a naysayer at this time on Jordan.  I am a big fan, but the Colonial did not require that Jordan hit the driver today.  He is going to have to hit the driver accurately to compete in the tournaments this summer.  It was a great performance by Spieth today without a doubt.  

That's because he didn't have to, so he didn't. Which is called smart golf. And there are holes at Oakmont where you don't have to hit driver, and in fact, had better not!

One of the things that makes me chuckle is when I hear the mantra that Spieth is "short". I watched him hit an 8 iron 190 today! I saw him hit drivers that carried 290+. He may not be the longest, but he is by no means short! Watching the back 9 at Dean & Deluca made me wonder what this kid might be capable of if he could get his tee game in order. He's an absolute magician around the green!

However it goes, the next two weeks are going to be a whole lot of fun!

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!