IGNORED

Standing on Tee Marker for Aiding a Swing

sirhacksalot
Note: This thread is 2852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I struggle , a lot , with hitting up with the driver.  Meaning I constantly hit down sometimes with the result of pop up and sky marks.  So just curious could I step on the tee marker with my left foot (I'm right handed) to get me swinging more up on the ball?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Many tee markers would be configured in such a way that standing on them would be difficult (e.g. painted rocks, round balls with a spike, etc...).  Assuming you were able to take a stance with one foot on the marker, you might run afoul of this:

11-2. Tee-Markers

Before a player makes his first stroke with any ball on the teeing ground of the hole being played, the tee-markers are deemed to be fixed. In these circumstances, if the player moves or allows to be moved a tee-marker for the purpose of avoiding interference with his stance, the area of his intended swing or his line of play, he incurs the penalty for a breach of Rule 13-2.

If you moved the marker at all, I think that would be considered a breach of 13-2.  Also, using the tee marker could also be considered "building a stance", especially if the marker moved.

There are other more practical ways to learn to hit up on one's tee shots.  You might pose that type of question in the "Instruction & Playing Tips" forum.

Brian Kuehn

Thats a really weird way to get around a swing issue...lol. But as far as i know, doing that could be considered building a stance. Which would be illegal normally, but on a teeing ground, i dont know. 

5 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Thats a really weird way to get around a swing issue...lol. But as far as i know, doing that could be considered building a stance. Which would be illegal normally, but on a teeing ground, i dont know. 

I know right? but I randomly think about these things during the day.  I was thinking that on the range if i stand on a golf ball or head cover it usually keeps me back in my stance and i swing up.  I was wondering if there is a legal way to repeat that on days that i was struggling of the tee. You know random musings of a weekend duffer when stuck at work.

2 minutes ago, sirhacksalot said:

I know right? but I randomly think about these things during the day.  I was thinking that on the range if i stand on a golf ball or head cover it usually keeps me back in my stance and i swing up.  I was wondering if there is a legal way to repeat that on days that i was struggling of the tee. You know random musings of a weekend duffer when stuck at work.

Might not be too proper, but you could use a club to prop up a little hill to put your foot on. Laura Davies use to do that to tee her ball up. That still sounds like stance building though. 

Perfectly legal as long as the marker doesn't move.  I don't think it's going to do anything to cure your problem.  If anything it would simply be a less stable stance, making it nearly impossible to finish your follow through properly.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

for the purpose of avoiding interference with his stance, the area of his intended swing or his line of play

If he's standing on the marker, he's not moving it with this intention, so I could see it being legal even if the marker does move.  I'd still wonder about the issue of building a stance.  I checked the decisions on building a stance, and don't see anything that's directly applicable.  I do know that if you put something down to stand on, or if you alter the ground under your feet, you're building a stance, but the marker is already there. 

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

21 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If he's standing on the marker, he's not moving it with this intention, so I could see it being legal even if the marker does move.  I'd still wonder about the issue of building a stance.  I checked the decisions on building a stance, and don't see anything that's directly applicable.  I do know that if you put something down to stand on, or if you alter the ground under your feet, you're building a stance, but the marker is already there. 

He's not building anything.  The tee marker is already there, he's just making a peculiar use of it.  No different from standing on a rock or any other object found on the course, as long as the object isn't moved to position it in his stance.

Rick

My thought is that once the marker moves, you have effectively shown that it interfered with your swing/stance. Kind of like a branch near my backswing doesn't interfere with my stroke until I actually hit it with my club.  If I take my normal swing and don't hit it, no interference.  Once I hit the branch, even if I pull the shot off, it could be still said that the branch interfered with my stroke.

Brian Kuehn

2 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

He's not building anything.  The tee marker is already there, he's just making a peculiar use of it.  No different from standing on a rock or any other object found on the course, as long as the object isn't moved to position it in his stance.

And that's exactly the statement I made at the end of my post, the marker is already there, he didn't do anything but stand on the existing condition.

2 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

My thought is that once the marker moves, you have effectively shown that it interfered with your swing/stance. Kind of like a branch near my backswing doesn't interfere with my stroke until I actually hit it with my club.  If I take my normal swing and don't hit it, no interference.  Once I hit the branch, even if I pull the shot off, it could be still said that the branch interfered with my stroke.

But the rules doesn't talk about actual interference, it talked about the player's purpose.  Taking the branch in your example, you're not allowed to reposition it or break it off in order to improve your area of intended swing.  If the branch is moved or broken during your swing, however, there's no penalty,  Similarly, if the marker moves, not while the player is setting up but during his swing, I don't see that he's moved it for the purpose of avoiding interference.

Having said all this, the next time I see someone standing on the marker will be my first time seeing it.  While I enjoy picking these nits, I don't think the issue is ever going to come up.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

While I enjoy picking these nits, I don't think the issue is ever going to come up.

Again random thoughts and musings.  This is something i might try once, fail horribly and never try again.  However if it worked or was a way to get me hitting up on a bad round, I thought it was at least worth posting.

Just now, sirhacksalot said:

Again random thoughts and musings.  This is something i might try once, fail horribly and never try again.  However if it worked or was a way to get me hitting up on a bad round, I thought it was at least worth posting.

One thing I'm pretty sure would be legal, you can prop a foot up there and take a couple of practice swings.  Again, you might find that to be counterproductive, or even dangerous, but as long as the marker is in its proper original location before you make a stroke, you haven't broken the rule.

Dave

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

One thing I'm pretty sure would be legal, you can prop a foot up there and take a couple of practice swings.  Again, you might find that to be counterproductive, or even dangerous, but as long as the marker is in its proper original location before you make a stroke, you haven't broken the rule.

I haven't thought about that, just to get the feel of exagerated axis tilt then address and swing.

2 minutes ago, sirhacksalot said:

I haven't thought about that, just to get the feel of exagerated axis tilt then address and swing.

About 12 seconds in...."I'm an idea man, Chuck"

• Upvote 1

Dave

A lil of topic but one of the main reasons for this post is a video I saw not too long ago by Me and My golf.  The title is something along the lines of drive the ball 50 yds further or something like that. I would post the video but no youtube at work and my phone has limited service.  But the jist of it is that to prove a point Andy slowed is swing to about 85 mph hit down and the drive went somewhere around 190ish then same swing within a mph swung up and it was something like 240 total distance. That second drive would out drive me 90% of the time and is swung about 15 mph slower than what i swing.  Maybe someone else could post the video if you guys are interested in seeing. 

I also know that there are swing faults.  My 3 wood and sometimes even a good swung hybrid goes as far if not farther than driver most of the time so i usually just play that.  I even went and got a 13* 3 wood for that reason. But after hearing it a 100 times and watching several videos esp the one mentioned before, I need to hit up with driver. and as long as its within the rules am willing to try about anything.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Rulesman said:

Artificial device

14-3 Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an abnormal manner:

Right.

You can't stand on the tee marker to make a swing. Or a golf club.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, Rulesman said:

Artificial device

14-3 Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an abnormal manner:

The tee marker isn't a "device" nor is it equipment.

Equipment

"Equipment" is anything used, worn, held or carried by the player or the player's caddie, except:

• any ball that the player has played at the hole being played, and
  • any small object, such as a coin or a tee, when used to mark the position of the ball or the extent of an area in which a ball is to be dropped.

Note 1: A ball played at the hole being played is equipment when it has been lifted and not put back into play.

Note 2: Equipment includes objects placed on the course for the care of the course, such as rakes, while they are being held or carried.

Note 3: When equipment is shared by two or more players, the shared equipment is deemed to be theequipment of only one of the players sharing it.

Rick

Note: This thread is 2852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!