IGNORED

What do you HATE the most about golf?

stolpioni
Note: This thread is 2855 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Harp stein said:

It's not slow play, the game just takes too long to play 18 holes unless you're good (single digit hcp or better)

I suck, certainly not a single digit, and my buddy and I play at a leisurely pace and finish in 3 hrs.

Slow players are slow regardless of skill. Sucky players like me can play fast.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

HATE?? Hmm.....Gripes maybe.

1) Sandbagging is straight up theft. Very few that I have met and have played some form of amateur competition golf have NEVER been on the receiving end of it at some point. Since the HCP system is unique to Golf (only golf has a prominent official system to 'level' the playing field. I will accuse it of INVITING the dishonesty via its control system. It also invites unwarranted accusations of dishonesty for occasional good play. God forbid if you shoot 3 below your HCP with a group you are playing for the first time.        

2) Slow play. A unit of golf is a 'round' of 18 holes or 9 holes instead of time units: for e.g. 4 hours (up to a maximum of 18 holes) or 2 hours (up to a maximum of 9 holes) course use.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

6 hours ago, Elmer said:

What I "hate" about golf is the cost. I my current clubs are ill fitted for me. I need stiff shafts. I can not afford new clubs, or used clubs or even hand me downs!

That's the problem with getting clubs fitted. The amount you shell out to get fitted clubs leaves you with little or no money for other things. That's why I shop ebay and avoid the high overhead which the major sporting good stores and pro shops charge you.

Edited by 9wood

The one thing I dislike is when the pace of play is very slow....Sitting at the tee box for over 5 minutes waiting for the people ahead of you who are waiting for the people ahead of them is just aggravating.  It is like you get loose, then get cold and have to loosen up all over again.  Hard for me to get a rhythm going when you have delays before every shot you make...

Besides my current average score?  Not many complaints, it's a fun game even when it hurts. I'm not a morning person and have an early tee time Sunday and dawn patrol Monday so griping wouldn't do much good anyway. I must like the game to get up that early both mornings to play.  

Edited by Gator Hazard

1 hour ago, 9wood said:

That's the problem with getting clubs fitted. The amount you shell out to get fitted clubs leaves you with little or no money for other things. That's why I shop ebay and avoid the high overhead which the major sporting good stores and pro shops charge you.

I had a one hour fitting for free for spending $200 at Golfsmith.  I spent more like 75 minutes with the fitter, and ordered my new irons made 1" long and 1 degree upright.  Id never had anything but stock clubs before in my life, and the difference is quite noticeable.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

9 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

I had a one hour fitting for free for spending $200 at Golfsmith.  I spent more like 75 minutes with the fitter, and ordered my new irons made 1" long and 1 degree upright.  Id never had anything but stock clubs before in my life, and the difference is quite noticeable.

Sure, but I was replying to someone who wasn't happy with the price he paid out for his fitting

56 minutes ago, Osnola said:

The one thing I dislike is when the pace of play is very slow....Sitting at the tee box for over 5 minutes waiting for the people ahead of you who are waiting for the people ahead of them is just aggravating.  It is like you get loose, then get cold and have to loosen up all over again.  Hard for me to get a rhythm going when you have delays before every shot you make...

I have at times jumped a couple of holes ahead of slow pokes and then came back and played the other remaining holes

I "hate" real slow play.   I don't mind waiting behind others if they are moving at a steady pace but it's difficult to get in a rhythm when play is 5+ hours.    If i'm playing by myself and it's slow I'll hit two or three balls from 100 yards to practice.   I don't mind a practice round like that.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, 9wood said:

Sure, but I was replying to someone who wasn't happy with the price he paid out for his fitting

And I was replying to you, because you were the one who said that fittings were too expensive.  I was simply demonstrating that they didn't have to be, particularly if you were planning to buy clubs anyway.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Hate is probably too strong a word but I have some "dislikes" . . slow play, of course, especially the pressure I always feel from the group behind us even though we are also stuck.  Probably my least favorite are those once in a while days, though, where I just can't seem to get the club on the ball, I get frustrated and feel like just walking off the course.  I never actually have walked off and I also almost always shake off the negativity before the end of the round (even if I never hit a single good shot).  But I really, really, dislike that feeling of wanting to quit the round. 

Edited by Rainmaker

No hate here.  Love the game.  Frustrating at times? You bet!  Here's my biggest frustration: Driver, 5-wood, stake a wedge and make birdie on a par 5 hole.  Next hole is a double on a par 4.  Not being able to consistently duplicate success throughout a round is frustrating, but absolutely nothing to hate on.  

dave  

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

There is only one thing I hate about golf: slow play.  That's why I always try to play early in the morning to avoid 5+ hour rounds.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Hmmm...regressing to previous remedied swing flaws, golfer's that drive the cart back towards the tee after you tee off...not enough hot chix....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2855 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!