IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge June 2016

Note: This thread is 2827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6/29/16:

7i thru 58° have been pretty good as of late. So I focused on full swings with D, 4w, 3h, 4h, 5i and 6i today, trying to get the contact right.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Working on a project with a team in Europe gives me lots of chances to hit golf balls in my garage at 3am, lol. 

After reviewing yesterday's video - I decided my #1 issue right now with these new changes is it's introducing a big lateral slide (my primary bad tendency) again.  My knees are bending and flexing and all that - but my arms are way too high and I'm laterally sliding at the target.  It looks hilarious in slow motion. 

So, I decided to try something . .if I want my arms to go more *down* in the downswing, maybe I should get them more *up* in the backswing.  As in - make my arm movement more "up and down only". 

To work on this I removed all the key 2 stuff I've been working on and just tried to keep my lower half still.  Then I added only the feeling of a "deep hip turn" in the backswing.  I hit about 20 pitching wedges and then another 20 6 irons.  That was giving me good results - probably some of the best I've had on video.   I'm going to continue with that idea.

20 hours ago, Lihu said:

Worked pretty well. I was still over swinging my driver and hit tons of slices and hooks, but my 3W was behaving really nicely.

Working on more back swings with a mirror.

Played a round to practice filming, but my mini tripod finally broke. It worked for a few holes, where I could lean the back against a slope or something, but eventually completely broke.

Then I played a par 3 at night with daughter.

Doing more back swing drills, and working. Might have some time to edit some movies later today.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

7 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

So, I decided to try something . .if I want my arms to go more *down* in the downswing, maybe I should get them more *up* in the backswing.  As in - make my arm movement more "up and down only". 

To work on this I removed all the key 2 stuff I've been working on and just tried to keep my lower half still.  Then I added only the feeling of a "deep hip turn" in the backswing.  I hit about 20 pitching wedges and then another 20 6 irons.  That was giving me good results - probably some of the best I've had on video.   I'm going to continue with that idea.

I worked today for about 20 minutes on this idea of my arms going more "up and down".  This seems to do some really good things for me.  1.  Reduces or eliminates the forward "lunge" 2.  Gets my downswing path closer to where I want it - my hands pretty close to my right thigh when my club shaft is parallel and 3.  First the first time ever - gives me a feeling that I might be able to control my trajectory.  If I hit "down harder" that's exactly what happens - I get a low punch.  If I take my arms up really high and finish high, then I get a high shot.  That's crazy because I've *never* been able to do that - not even once.  I'm not going to get all carried away and think I can control my trajectory now, lol . .but I saw it working. .at least once. 

6/30/16:

Hit some 54° and 58° wedges focusing on "right arm straight" feeling.

As there are 30 days in June, I have completed the June Practice Challenge. @iacas I guess I get to keep my badge for another month.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

45 minutes at the range. 20 minutes slow motion work, A4-A7 club path. Really focused on full shoulder turn combined with shorter backswing. Felt very controlled.

Then 20 minutes swinging 100%. Driver and 6 iron. Whew- felt good to really let loose after using the range to be strictly swing work. There was some minor awareness of my swing, but mainly I just let it rip. First time of the season I hit the net (235yds). Of the 15 driver swings, I hit the net about halfway up about 10 times (yes some wind was with me). The rest reached the fence on a hop or two. One duck hook. 

With 6-iron I was going pretty far too, 170-190yds mostly. 

For the first time in a while, it was solid contact at the range. Felt great.

(no badge for me, as I slacked off a few days in June. Back at it in July)

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

Played a round to practice filming, but my mini tripod finally broke. It worked for a few holes, where I could lean the back against a slope or something, but eventually completely broke.

Then I played a par 3 at night with daughter.

Doing more back swing drills, and working. Might have some time to edit some movies later today.

Good point @onthehunt526, I also completed the June challenge.

In July and from now on, I plan to do real play/practice only every other day to let my body fully recover so on the days I play I get my maximum performance.

This is where the only 5 minutes a day might prove it's mettle in my game. Got to be focused and targeted in my practice!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awesome practice session just now - hit about 50 8 irons and 10 6 irons into the net.  Something weird happened  . ..  again!  When I first started practicing with my mat and net I had enough room to hit all my clubs except the driver.  After a while, I no longer had room for the fairway woods . .then the 3 and 4 iron.  Today I was hitting my 6 iron and I'm out of room for that now, too.  Is my ceiling getting lower?

I'm so close to achieving my impact position!  My key 2 still sucks big time but, inadvertently, I improved my Key 4, 3 and 1 while working on it.  My Key 4 now is getting so good it's fixing my Key 1.  I can't hit the ball if I sway so I don't.  When I mishit, it's typically because I did sway.  

My videos show really good extension in the follow through - with my clubshaft staying in line with my arms until past waist high in the follow through.  My left shoulder, arms and clubshaft are in-line at impact . .it's just this line is still not forward enough.  It's because my weight is still not forward enough at impact. 

I'm having more good results with trajectory control. If I get my arms up high and finish high, I get a high shot with minimal divot (mat hit, in my case).  If I bring my arms down hard I get a low shot with a big divot (lots of mat thump).  That's cool because, honestly, I never understood trajectory control and never thought it would be something I could even half-way do.

I have a week coming up where I won't be able to practice at all . . very dismayed about this, lol.  I hope it won't set me back too much.  My plan is to get back, take a few practice days to get back to where I am now and then set up my next lesson.      

If this thread resets as a new July challenge, then I'm starting. 

15 mins this afternoon spent putting at work (carpet has stimp of approx 9), with emphasis on distance control on lag putts from 25-30ft

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator

If you meet the June challenge post here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

If this thread resets as a new July challenge, then I'm starting. 

15 mins this afternoon spent putting at work (carpet has stimp of approx 9), with emphasis on distance control on lag putts from 25-30ft

The new July thread is open, so post there if you don't mind. Locking this one up.

I missed a few days in June. That's not gonna happen in July! See you there.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator

In this thread. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have met the June 2016 Practice Challenge as I practiced and posted everyday.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I have met the June 2016 Practice Challenge as I practiced and posted everyday.

Thanks. You have the award. :-)

Note: This thread is 2827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!