IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge June 2016

Note: This thread is 2854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, RandallT said:

It sure seemed like that post in a practice thread was on east coast time! Welcome to the world 3-hours ahead of yours!

Thanks. Now, I'm doing limited length swings with a medicine ball...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Worked for a bit trying slow swings, focusing on steady head and getting my weight forward.  

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

6/5/16:

Worked on mapping my downswing and finish this morning in front of the mirror.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Worked on A1 - A4 swing move in mirror. I'm working on tucking in right knee at address, and keeping proper flex at top. A teammate of mine from Friday (he's a 12 HDCP) said I was straightening or buckling the right knee on several of my shots. (I launched some high, 180-yd. drives that hit the right-side first cut of rough).

I have a lesson Tuesday PM to check this, and my transition from top.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Decided not to hide from playing in the wind. Took the day to practice learning how to hit shots in the wind as well as practiced short game by dropping balls are various distances from 90-25 yards and hitting shots. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

More slow mo backswing drills inside using net. Did some video using my iPad to get a feel for what to look for when seeing other's videos on TST and YouTube.

Under construction, signature and game.

6/5/16

Studied some driver setups in Golf magazine to gain driver distance back. Practiced posture and pre-swing setup. Practiced swinging the setup. . Unfortunately rained all day not able to practice putting.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Got to range and did lots of mapping again. No video today but did 2 slow swings (stopping A4, 6, 7) through to the finish. Then hit ball in slow speed.  Then two more slow swings followed by 75% swing. Worked on right knee not moving outward to ball as I turn hips past A6 (per last lesson). Fixing that well, I think. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I worked on putting start lines and mirror work with my backswing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I promise I'm not backdating, lol . .I just finished a practice session.  Technically, I finished it on 6/5 . .a few minutes before 6/6. 

I've been back in my head over the last couple of days - collecting information, making some swings on video, etc.  I've been working primarily on Key 2 but also being mindful of Keys 3 and 4.  My biggest improvement has actually come in Key 1 . .even though I wasn't specifically working on it. 

I'm very much a guy who needs to "understand" the motion.  What am I trying to do?  I have a strange relationship with my instructor in that he tells me things I do not understand at all.  And then I search and search until I figure it out but, when I do, it's not in the way he explained it or using the drills he gave me.  I would say he's very good at identifying my priority piece - but maybe less good at figuring out how I need to understand it.  Or maybe I just don't go for enough lessons . .which is certainly the case.  Anyway - I'm making a lot of progress so something must be working.   

The way he explained Key 2 is my left knee "draws a circle" around my left foot and my right knee "bends".  Ok - I went around the mulberry bush on this one.  I went from a "turnaround jump shot" to "take something off the shelf, turn around and put it on the shelf" . .I hurt my knee slightly, lol. 

The way I understand it now is that the rotation of my torso is the "primary movement" . .ie .. the goal here is to rotate my torso and not change my spine angle (too much).  My legs assist in this effort - which is to rotate my torso.  The way my legs assist is by 1. Enabling the torso to rotate further in the backswing and then 2.  Adjusting the angle of my torso so it can rotate without changing angles and, finally, 3. giving a push to this rotation. 

I've seen in several videos that talk about "coil" that the person will say something like "it's hard for me to even talk right now".  I finally get that.  At the top of my backswing, I am coiled up tight such that it would effect my ability to speak easily.  Then my legs "adjust", then my torso coil unwinds with a push from my legs . .and while all this is going on my arms have to 1.  Not lock up and 2. "race" my torso so that they finish barely ahead.  And also the plane of the downswing has to be right so that my arms don't cross over too soon. My tendency is to be too steep here. 

There's another cool thing I got a glimpse of . .which is letting the club "get far away from me" in the takeaway.  It's one of those things where I'll try it and it's awesome . .but if I keep trying to work with it things disintegrate quickly. 

Another interesting thing with my backswing.  It "feels" like it got way longer but it actually got way shorter.  On video, it's shorter. 

As far as the actual practice goes - I did a session much like all the others from the last couple days.  A lot of slow-motion stuff.  Going to the top of the backswing and stopping.  Do the transition and stop.  Hitting it from various places in the swing (ie - hit it from the top, hit it from parallel, etc. .and finally some full swings.  All with my 8 iron which is really seeing a lot of use in practice - I'll have an 8 iron that looks like it's been backed over by a truck a few times while the rest of my set remains fairly pristine, lol. 

Edited by Rainmaker

Range session yesterday. Focused on my drill from my last Evolvr lesson. Hit a small bucket only. The session was about 1 hour.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Had a lesson today, still some work to do with my posture and working on releasing the club as a feeling to help me work the ball back from the right. This is all part of my attempts to remove one side of danger from my shots with a consistent shape, a draw with the miss of the block.

Hi, My name is Matt.

On June 5, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Lihu said:

Thanks. Now, I'm doing limited length swings with a medicine ball...

Wow, heavy rains and now a light breeze sunny sky's. Jersey is a strange place. Went to an overpriced range to hit some balls with a 9i. Well, 150 yards is 150 yards anywhere I guess.

Did half swing drills followed by my new swing thoughts. 60min total. On my way to Boston.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Great practice this am.  In terms of quality of strike probably my best ever.  So building on the idea of my legs being responsible to support and assist the rotation of my torso . .I kind of backed off on the idea of firing really hard in the downswing.  Instead I'm still winding up really hard in the backswing - and in transition I'm still using my legs to "prepare" for and assist this torso rotation . .but instead the guiding feeling I was using is that of my clubshaft shallowing out before I really initiate this rotation so that my hands  "flip under" the plane instead of over it.   This also has the effect of pushing the point where my right arm overtakes my left way out . .ie . .way later.  I thought maybe I noticed my left shoulder lifting too much during this but the strikes were great.  Very flush.  Unfortunately my phone battery was dead so I didn't get to video it. 

Still a lot of slow-motion stuff but also around 20-30 full shots. 

15 minutes mirror work at the gym. I worked on my drill but also getting my hands a little higher at setup. I noticed in my session yesterday that my hands were low. I was getting more fade than usual with my driver. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6/6/16:

Alina and I practiced chipping into a bucket this morning. Alina beat me 3-2 ( we played first to three)... But i hit a few off the side and the top so it was better... Ive decided a 50 is better for chipping and pitching in most situations i run into.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On May 30, 2016 at 9:11 PM, iacas said:

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for June, 2016! The rules are the same as always:

• Make a somewhat detailed post describing your practice every day during the month.
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.
  • On the last day of the month, if you completed the challenge, post about it, preferably in red text or something so I can notice it and give you the award.

Detail what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.).

Enjoy and practice hard!

I have been golfing for 3 years now, I played my senior year of high school which we were state runner ups to a team in their home course but that's another story.. I have never had a lesson other than being a golf practice with my coach maybe correcting a few things but other than that, that's about it. The last 3 roundsI have played I have shot +5, +4, +7. I feel as if I had someone to really work with me I could further my game into a tremendous state to hopefully reaching the Web.com tour. I know it may sound like a lofty goal but golf has become a passion of mine and I will do whatever is necessary to succeed. Please if you have any advice or help contact me carter2tate@gmail.com thank you.

Range for about an hour with video. Slow motion to A4, A6, A7, then follow through. Then 50% swing.

Today I focused very hard on keeping my right knee from kicking toward the ball, which is a mistake my instructor pointed out. I thought I was doing it ok. In video after video, I did the wrong thing repeatedly, however. Gotta stick with it. Next video submission to instructor next week sometime.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!