IGNORED

What's the Best Golf Ball for a High Handicapper?

wheelerwheeler
Note: This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, jkelley9 said:

Sorry, I probably used the wrong terminology. I went with the e5 because when I was playing the Nike Mojo's (surlyn cover) my ball was hitting greens and would always be within a few inches of my ball mark or on the back side of my ball mark (further my target). 

I switched to the e5 for the urethane cover and being designed for a higher flight shot with a ~98-102 mph swing speed. 

When I said spin, it is decently forgiving for sidespin on drives but has a good amount of feel (urethane) around greens and and does a good job giving a little check spin. Although to be honest it only improved by maybe a little. 

You'll notice the ball has these little inner raised pockets in some of the holes on the ball. I imagine this is what can "grab" the green a little better and provide some back spin but offer lower sidespin because it's blocking the air/wind from grabbing the ball in the air, since those raised areas are interfering. 

With all due respect, the points you are making are more relevant to a low handicapper. The last thing a high handicapper (such as myself) wants is spin. The e6 is designed to travel in a straight line and give reasonable distance. This is ideal for players who don't have the same ability as people such as yourself.

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I am a really high handicapper and would rank balls for high handicappers (that I have played) in this order from worst to best:

Noodle long and soft

Pinnacle Gold

Nike Mojo

Bridgestone E6

Quite honestly I think the first three balls are all meh. I have played more balls but the above are ones I have played enough of, consistently. I would say if you can afford the used versions of them go with the Bridgestone E6. Love that ball, and it stands apart from the rest. My only complaint is that I don't find more of them on my course. I have a few dozen still, one dozen brand spanking new balls that were a gift from brother in law. It's a conundrum. Play them now or hold on to them. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, paininthenuts said:

With all due respect, the points you are making are more relevant to a low handicapper. The last thing a high handicapper (such as myself) wants is spin. The e6 is designed to travel in a straight line and give reasonable distance. This is ideal for players who don't have the same ability as people such as yourself.

You may have misinterpreted my post. I am still considered a high handicap golfer. I chose this ball, yes, because of some of the stronger points in my swing but that doesn't ultimately make me a low handicap golfer.

The e5 was not designed for low handicap golfer. It's a moderate swing speed compression ball (I'm younger and athletic but my swing is not FAST). It has good check spin from the little cuppy thing in the holes on the ball  and being urethane covered, but for a high handicapper who struggles with slicing the ball every now and then (which I still do, as a high HC golfer) I've noticed that it doesn't go NEARLY as wild as, for example, a ProV1 or ProV1X. That's why I think it's a good beginner ball (for me). 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

On 6/1/2016 at 7:58 AM, Rainmaker said:

Came here to say this, lol.  And also . .if you need to buy some balls . .a long time ago I bought a gross of refurbished Precept Laddies.  I'm still playing them today.  They are great balls for the price (especially refurbs).  I buy a sleeve of premium balls every once in a while and I also play whatever I find.  I can't find any reason not to tee up a Laddie if I've got one in my bag . .and I've got lots, lol. 

Oh . and  plus . .you will be the only guy in your group playing a Laddie . .no confusion or need for special marking, lol. 

I haven't gone the used/refurbished route, but I did buy a bunch of boxes of the old Precept McLady I got for $6/box.  I and still have maybe 8-10 dozen boxes.

I am working through them and usually use them on Executive/Par 3 courses.  I guess I figure I'll use my $.50 golf balls on those courses and save my expensive $.80 D2+ Feel golf balls for the longer ones.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

1 hour ago, 70sSanO said:

I haven't gone the used/refurbished route, but I did buy a bunch of boxes of the old Precept McLady I got for $6/box.  I and still have maybe 8-10 dozen boxes.

I am working through them and usually use them on Executive/Par 3 courses.  I guess I figure I'll use my $.50 golf balls on those courses and save my expensive $.80 D2+ Feel golf balls for the longer ones.

John

The Precept Laddie gives you a distinct advantage in the local "upgrade rule" . .where if you lose your ball but find a better one - you can play it without penalty, lol.  

I like the slogan for the MC Lady:

"What could possibly cause a man to ever hit a lady? "

The answer, of course . .they cost 50 cents and there's water nearby. 

Edited by Rainmaker

When my ball striking was horrid, still is but when it was high handicapper horrid I used the cheapest balls I could find. for putting I liked the consistency of using one ball rather than playing what I found so it was the Noodle for me.

Dave :-)

I find a lot of ProV1's and ProV1x's.  I give them the bounce test... a new ProV1 if dropped from shoulder height on a concrete cart path will bounce back to about waist height.  Not sure that proves anything though as every ProV1 and ProV1x I've found passes the test. 

So, I often am playing found ProV1's and ProV1x's.

I liked the Pinnacle Gold, Nike Mojo both are priced good decent enough, my favorites since I tend to loose less nowadays are any of the E series Bridgestones love them along with the new B330

Note: This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!