IGNORED

Rate Your Game Relative to Same Handicappers

iacas
Note: This thread is 2872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rate yourself relative to golfers with the same handicap index as you. A is great, F is terrible.  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Relative to golfers of the same handicap index, how do you rate your full swing?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. Relative to golfers of the same handicap index, how do you rate your short game?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  3. 3. Relative to golfers of the same handicap index, how do you rate your putting?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

37 minutes ago, ZappyAd said:

I don't think I've played with anyone in the last year who I wouldn't swap my putting game with.  

We should play a round some time.  I can change that.

Capture.JPG.6fdafebae34b5dce8a9272156dc20d1b.JPG

• Upvote 1

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's a bit tough for me to answer because I rarely play anyone that is of the same ability level. Half the guys I play are way better and half are way worse.

Next to people who are closer to my level that not;

Full swing - B. This is mainly because I keep the ball in play and despite my total lack of distance.

Short game - C. Not that my short game is good, but I've seen some really bad ones for people that apparently score as I do.

Putting - F. It's been an absolute train wreck so far this year. It's the primary reason why my HI is up this high. 

I marked C, B, and A.  My full swing is really the weakest part of my game, and in comparison to others in my current handicap range, is pretty average (might even be a C-).  However, I'm better than average at recovery/scrambling, and my putting is the star of my game.  

On any given day those grades could change for a single round, but those are how I see my general tendencies at the moment.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

C A C

Game Golf tells me what I need to know about this. I struggle with driving but my iron play is strong. If full swing was split it would be D driving and B irons. Short game is sharp my GG SG stats are near scratch for short game. Putting is currently bad but historically I am decent on the greens.

I just need more practice. I literally haven't practiced three hours in 2016. Time isn't there for it. That's why my putting is wobbly. Distance control on longer putts is abysmal. 

Dave :-)

B, C, D. Really rusty from not playing enough, last year was a wash, scores may not reflect it, but eventually, the short game will come around, seeing little improvements and hopefully the range swing will get thee to the course. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I went with:

C - Full swing - I have distance off the tee and keep it in the fairway about 50% of the time according to my Arccos stats.  My misses aren't huge misses, a few yards, and that data is a bit skewed because there are some holes on my course where the shorter shot into the green is by cutting the corner into the rough on the tee shot.

B - Short Game - My short game is usually what holds my rounds together.  I am very comfortable with being anywhere within 5 yards of the green (nGIR) and being able to get up and down.  Bunker shots don't bother me too much either, but these are both things I work on a couple times a week.

A - Putting - My putting has been on fire this season so far.  My putting has never been bad, but this year it is exceptional.  Arccos has me at a +1.7 right now with 1.76 putts per hole and 1.87 putts per GIR. 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

It does reek of a social experiment... Seems impossible to quantify this. For every bad short game guy, there is a good putter or some other way they make it up to have the cap they have.

Seriously?

It's a discussion topic about golf on a golf forum.

I was curious how people rated the various areas of their games relative to their peers. There's nothing scientific about it. I have a hunch how things will shake out, but at the same time, it's a small sample size and nowhere near scientific, so nobody can get much weight or value from it.

It's just a golf discussion… on a site that's all about discussing golf.

What are your answers, @Valleygolfer?

9 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

As for me, I gave myself an A in the full swing, a C in the short game, and a B in putting.

But…

46 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

I marked C, B, and A.

But…

10 minutes ago, Grinde6 said:

I went with:

C - Full swing…
B - Short Game…
A - Putting…

But how are you guys at your current handicap level, then, if you're better than average?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Seriously?

I was curious how people rated the various areas of their games relative to their peers. There's nothing scientific about it. I have a hunch how things will shake out, but at the same time, it's a small sample size and nowhere near scientific, so nobody can get much weight or value from it.

But…

But…

But how are you guys at your current handicap level, then, if you're better than average?

I would say "C" is average, my full swing is average maybe even C- and this is where I am losing the strokes to others that are my handicap.  I make up for it with the nGIRs and then rely on my chipping and putting to hold my rounds together.  Getting that C up to a B is something I work on almost every day at the range, and its coming around.  I played against a +1 handicap during league last week, and the one thing I took away from that is my full swing needs work, need to gain some distance with my longer irons and work on accuracy with my shorter irons.  I did end up tying him though in match play.

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Seriously?

But…

But…

You asked in relation to our peers.  My peers right now are bogey golfers, and that's how I ranked my game.  If I'm ranking against scratch players, then I'm probably F, D, C.  How do you want it?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

My long game (IMO) is my weak point. I do ok from 140 - 80, but outside of 140, it seems to get expontentially worse.  I can keep the ball in play, just don't have much distance at all.

My chipping and putting is (again IMO) above average for my handicap.  Nothing special, but decent enough.

Nearly all of my practice is on my full swing.

Sounds kind of like @boogielicious's assesment of his game.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I put all Cs

This survey reminds me of the well-known BTA (better-than-average) effect. For example, when you ask how you rate your (car) driving, a large majority of people answer that they are "better than average". We all tend to think we're special. :whistle:

Although if you look at the graphs of the results so far, distribution looks pretty normal so far!

Edited by chspeed

Full Swing: C. I drive poorly, but oddly, my irons stack up pretty well. Average that out to C.

Short Game: B. The one thing I NEVER practice. I can never remember the proper techniques for certain shots. I just hit the ball with the force and trajectory I think will get me close. By various strokes gained analyses, this area has always stacked up well, and anecdotally, I seem to be above average against comparable handicaps.

Putting: D. I can usually get the right distance during a round, but I lose focus or feel sporadically on some holes, so I typically 3-putt two or three times. I could easily reduce that with some training. I also NEVER seem to hit anything outside 10 feet, nor do I hit my share of those 5-10 footers. My guess is that I'm a stroke or two worse per round than people of a similar handicap.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

10 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Closest to me without being higher is 15, so vs a 15 I'm A C B over the last 5 rounds since I've implemented my current swing thought. GG shows me a -3.28 from the tee, +1.25 short game, and -.21 putting. As a matter of fact, the only thing I'm not better showing better than 15 is in the short game. Probably a bit telling and I should take a bit of time to work on my 30-70 yard shots and chipping a bit. Honestly, I'm pretty dang happy with those numbers considering that even if I compare myself to a 10 I'd still rate myself pretty close to the same.

Figured since I was showing a trend of being better than average for 15 as a 16 I should show the GG Strokes gained that I was referring to. Also I'd probably amend my statement and say A D C because if we go with a C as baseline/average then losing a full stroke and a quarter in the short game doesn't justify giving myself a C so a D is much more appropriate and being barely better inputting doesn't justify a B. Still, with a bit of work on short game I should be able to improve those numbers/grades fairly quickly.

updated vs 15.jpg

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I voted B for long game because in my last 5 rounds I've only had one penalty stroke. it was for  ball in the water. My home course front nine follows the outer perimeter so all nine holes have OB left and there is water on 5 of those holes as well. the back nine has ob on 4 holes due to the entrance driveway and water on 3. While my GIR needs improvement, my misses are getting tighter.

I voted C on the other two. I need to chip it closer when i miss a green and I need to take better advantage when I hav birdie putts inside 10'. I also am having one or two 3 putt per round due to bad distance control on lag putts.

B, D, B

When I'm playing with guys around my handicap they typically comment that they wish they had my distance and I wish I had their short game.  Putting is usually a wash, though in general I have improved in lag putting and avoid 3 putts more often than they do.  

Joe Paradiso

19 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

You asked in relation to our peers.  My peers right now are bogey golfers, and that's how I ranked my game.  If I'm ranking against scratch players, then I'm probably F, D, C.  How do you want it?

He probably asked that because you rated yourself average in one and above average in the other two which typically would mean you should be a lower HC. If your ratings averaged out to "C" then that shows that you are at the handicap you should be. Now that doesn't really take into account if you are trending downward though. Like if you are trending down a full stroke then your ratings being better than average make sense.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

I'm not sure you're understanding my point.

Let's say you're an 18. You compare yourself to other 18s.

You can't be an A, A, A. Either you're not an 18 or your friends are not 18s. You can't be "better or as good at all phases of the game" than someone of a similar handicap* and be the same handicap.

Know what I mean? You said you were a C, B, A. So how are you the same handicap if you're as good at or better than your peers in all phases of the game?

(Given the importance of the full swing, you could be B, D, D or D, A, A and be about the same handicap index.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!