IGNORED

Rate Your Game Relative to Same Handicappers

iacas
Note: This thread is 2877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rate yourself relative to golfers with the same handicap index as you. A is great, F is terrible.  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Relative to golfers of the same handicap index, how do you rate your full swing?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. Relative to golfers of the same handicap index, how do you rate your short game?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  3. 3. Relative to golfers of the same handicap index, how do you rate your putting?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

(Given the importance of the full swing, you could be B, D, D or D, A, A and be about the same handicap index.)

That is why I went B, D, D. 

Yet, I wonder what gets me an A in the long game. I think I could have said A, F, F and still think it's correct for me. I didn't want to give my long game an A. Error on the side of modesty :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

D B B

Compared to other players in my handicap group, I'm somewhat shorter, so that's the D.  I make up for that with short game and putting, so B for each of those.  As was mentioned, unless I figure to be moving up or down, I have to average out to a C overall.  I'm not sure that any of these parts of my game are far enough from "average" to merit anything other than a C+ or C-, but D and B fit within the structure of the poll.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Voted b, a, a. This actually came up wih a playing partner last week. We paired up on first tee and learned we were same handicap. After six holes he thought I was sand bagging. I finally had to explain that his full swing was a lot better than mine but I chipped it fairly close, got up and down from both bunkers for bogey, and made every putt I looked at. He outdrove me by 75 yards on all fours and fives. But his bunker play and three putts allowed me to beat him by six strokes. After the round I reflected to realize I have only been beaten by one player of my handicap all year which I still cant believe. Unfortunately tho, I have only beaten one player with a lower handicap all year. Seems like its better to compare yourself to others around your skill level. Makes your goals a little more attainable for the average golfer. Thanks to @iacas for this post. Im gonna lighten up a little and try to just be the best 24 handicap I can be! :)

I think my full swing is decent for my handicap, but I am a VERY short hitter (drives in the 190-210 region) which places a great deal of pressure on the rest of my game - especially given that my local course is 6600 yards.

Honestly this is very hard for me to answer, because it says compare to others of the same handicap.  Well, I don't usually play against other 6 handicappers very often, if ever.  Most of the time I play as a single, and when I get paired up it's at the course at random, typically with someone who is not near the level I am at.

So I'll pass on this one.

11 hours ago, iacas said:

See the questions above.

For clarification, A is good, F is terrible, and you're to rate your game compared to golfers of the SAME handicap. So if you rate yourself as all "A"s or all "F"s then you're probably not the handicap you say you are. :-)

The way you described it, gave the impression that you are trolling for people who are delusional based on the answers they give.

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

Seriously?

It's a discussion topic about golf on a golf forum.

I was curious how people rated the various areas of their games relative to their peers. There's nothing scientific about it. I have a hunch how things will shake out, but at the same time, it's a small sample size and nowhere near scientific, so nobody can get much weight or value from it.

It's just a golf discussion… on a site that's all about discussing golf.

What are your answers, @Valleygolfer?

But how are you guys at your current handicap level, then, if you're better than average?

I am not sure how to quantify answers so I will answer with my own perception of my game...

My answers... Q1: A, D depending on the day; Q2: C- to B depending on the day; Q3 C sort of;

Some days its an A game in one of the categories but I would give myself a "D" on consistency although I did have a light bulb moment a couple of days ago. We'll see...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Full swing? As in the way it looks? If that is the metric, Id give myself an D, lol.  I play against a lot of college players that seem like they all have the same greek god swing... I had teaching on fundamentals from a PGA pro, but my full swing is more or less self thought. Ive noticed I have a Sergio Garcia type twitch in my downswing so my swing looks a little funky. 

As far as ball striking goes - i would have to say I'm a mediocre for the level of player i usually compete against. I hit the ball well and I've been able to pair down my miss to one direction, but I'm not as consistent as i should be. Ive had days where i hit only 2 or 3 greens in reg. And for somebody that competes agaist elite players, it can be embarrassing sometimes. Relatively, Im a little on the short side. I only drive the ball in the 270-280 range. It seems like I'm first to play most of the time when i play in tournaments. 

I feel that I'm a excellent putter with a very good short game and that often covers up for my ballstrking. I gave myself A's on those. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm not sure you're understanding my point.

Let's say you're an 18. You compare yourself to other 18s.

You can't be an A, A, A. Either you're not an 18 or your friends are not 18s. You can't be "better or as good at all phases of the game" than someone of a similar handicap* and be the same handicap.

Know what I mean? You said you were a C, B, A. So how are you the same handicap if you're as good at or better than your peers in all phases of the game?

(Given the importance of the full swing, you could be B, D, D or D, A, A and be about the same handicap index.)

Actually I qualified it to a C minus in the text of my post.  While my driving is probably a D overall and causes most of my bad holes to happen, my FW woods tend to be pretty decent (C+ or B- and get me back in play better than most of the bogey golfers I play with.  I rarely top or chunk them.  And my irons, up to the 5I, are pretty average too.  My putting is good, but when my driver puts me in the position where I'm putting for double, my handicap suffers.

My tee game is sufficiently variable that on any given day it can start at F and finish at B during the course of a single round.  I'm starting to get a handle on it, but it's still a work in progress.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

7 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Some days its an A game in one of the categories but I would give myself a "D" on consistency although I did have a light bulb moment a couple of days ago. We'll see...

Just average it out. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

Just average it out. 

Average what out?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

A C B

Full swing is getting pretty darn good for a ~15 handicapper, hitting a good amount of greens and getting some good distances now.

The C might should be a D. My short game is terrible. Those green-side bump and runs and short chips are absolutely killing me. 

My putting is definitely above average at this level.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

The way you described it, gave the impression that you are trolling for people who are delusional based on the answers they give.

I don't troll. :-P

The phrase you bolded is true: if you're a 10 and rate yourself as "A, A, A" or "F, F, F" then you're not a 10: you're a 6 or a 15 or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

this is an interesting question - i will define it the following way in addition to my scores which are all pretty much Bs andCs.

when people see my swing, they think i score better than i do.  they say that i have a really nice swing and assume that im a lower hcp than i actually am.  actually, i believe @RFKFREAK once asked me, "how come your swing is so nice but your shoot such high scores?" so yeah, that made me feel good.

Colin P.

I was going to edit mine but noticed too late. I am trending down so that is why i made myself slightly better than average for my index.

long game - avg

short game - better than avg

putting - far worse than avg

GIR - completely depends on the day ... never know what I"m bringing to the course ... the good days, it's better than avg & vice versa

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Neat question and I chuckled at the results so far, albeit the small sample size.

Yeah, my full swing is little better than Joe. We're about the same at the short game. Neither of us putt that well.

Sounds like everyone I've ever discussed golf with.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

My long game is a B. Although I am not long off the tee, I am more consistent then most. And I am better on long shots to the green (180-210y). I loose compared to peers on chipping and pitching (score D). My putting is average (score C).

All together, there is room to lower my handicap. I think my game suits my new home course.

Full Swing: D. Looks great, functionally broken. Most golfers I play with around my handicap don't hit it as far as I do, but they're also not playing from adjacent fairways.

Short Game: B. I wanted to just call this a "C" and say it's about where others are but I'm pretty sure I'm a little ahead of the pack. My contact is good for the most part.

Putting: A. Ever since I adjusted my setup and stroke, it's been pretty good. I have distance control issues on longer putts but it is more of a feel problem than a mechanical issue.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!