IGNORED

GAME Golf Tag Popped Out of Pure Grip!

Note: This thread is 1578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Shindig said:

Found it at Wal-Mart a few moments ago.  I figured I'd double-check before I open it and use it since it doesn't say "glue" on it, but was right with the other glues (no other ones said Silicone).

I dunno. I've used this:

http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-sealant

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Shindig said:

Okay, I am not sure I got the right thing... it's this:

https://www.grainger.com/product/22N763?gclid=CLXLi7je8c4CFc9efgodvW0KrQ&cm_mmc=PPC:GOOGLEPLAA-_-Adhesives%2C Sealants and Tape-_-Caulks-_-22N763&AL!2966!3!50916782277!!!g!104636072277!&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916782277!!!g!104636072277!&ef_id=VUy7zwAABJHhAw-w:20160902223215:s

Found it at Wal-Mart a few moments ago.  I figured I'd double-check before I open it and use it since it doesn't say "glue" on it, but was right with the other glues (no other ones said Silicone).

That might work, but I'd suggest you get something that says "adhesive".  The product you bought is more of a sealant for cracks, etc.  It will probably work fine, but I've had great luck with silicone adhesive caulk/sealant.

- John

Thanks, @iacas and @Hardspoon.  I'll return what I have and look for the other stuff this weekend.  If I play tomorrow for some reason, I'll tag a different club and change it upon review.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 10 months later...

So I'm going to re-grip soon and I figure I should include the 6-iron with it, even though that grip is newer than the other ones in my bag that are getting re-gripped (I also use that club a lot more).

Is there an easy way to remove the GG tag from the club, seeing as how it's been glued in?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 minutes ago, Shindig said:

So I'm going to re-grip soon and I figure I should include the 6-iron with it, even though that grip is newer than the other ones in my bag that are getting re-gripped (I also use that club a lot more).

Is there an easy way to remove the GG tag from the club, seeing as how it's been glued in?

Did you use silicone or superglue? Both are kind of the same procedure anyway, just run a blade under the tag loosen the adhesive and then twist it off like normal. Clean off the tag of excess adhesive and you're good to go.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

Did you use silicone or superglue? Both are kind of the same procedure anyway, just run a blade under the tag loosen the adhesive and then twist it off like normal. Clean off the tag of excess adhesive and you're good to go.

I used the gorilla glue I think.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

13 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I used the gorilla glue I think.  

Which kind? Gorilla makes a lot of adhesives, some of which I would not have recommended for this application.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Oye I lost my 5 iron tag and had them send me a new one, and that one was gone yesterday. I barely had it 2 weeks. I use winn grips however. I hope it is in the bottom of my bag.

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

Which kind? Gorilla makes a lot of adhesives, some of which I would not have recommended for this application.

They make a silicone now. I think it dispenses itself.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator

If it's Gorilla Silicone, which is what I use, it's very easy to get the tag off, but it's sticky enough to hold it for thin hits that would have otherwise vibrated it out.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

The one Erik linked above is the one I think I got.

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 years later...

I realize this thread is a bit old, mods feel free to delete or move if warranted.

Recently started regripping my clubs with Pure grips and noticed my tags (Shot Scope) were falling out pretty frequently when practicing in my yard.

Thistothat dot com suggests Barge for bonding plastic to rubber. I happen to have some Barge in my adhesives bin, and also a tube of E6000 industrial adhesive. Plan to give each of these a try to see if it works. If the tags keep falling out, I may abandon the tags all together as I really dislike the Shot Scope watch anyways.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• iacas changed the title to GAME Golf Tag Popped Out of Pure Grip!
4 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I realize this thread is a bit old, mods feel free to delete or move if warranted.

Recently started regripping my clubs with Pure grips and noticed my tags (Shot Scope) were falling out pretty frequently when practicing in my yard.

Thistothat dot com suggests Barge for bonding plastic to rubber. I happen to have some Barge in my adhesives bin, and also a tube of E6000 industrial adhesive. Plan to give each of these a try to see if it works. If the tags keep falling out, I may abandon the tags all together as I really dislike the Shot Scope watch anyways.

The Gorilla Silicone that Erik referenced above works great.   It holds them firm and is still easy to take the tags off if needed.   I'd try it first.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I use Golf Pad GPS Tags. Concerned that they MIGHT come off, I looked and looked for a product that says it is for plastic and rubber. Then a user recommended using electrical tape around the edges of the tags and top of grip. Appears to work and hardly noticeable. BTW...The only PURE grip I use is on my putter. Love it. The hole in the butt end seems a little larger than my other grips, but not sure. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

13 hours ago, dennyjones said:

The Gorilla Silicone that Erik referenced above works great.   It holds them firm and is still easy to take the tags off if needed.   I'd try it first.

The only silicone product I saw on the Gorilla website is a sealant, which works okay as an adhesive but some plastics don't bond well with silicone, and I'm not sure what the Shot Scope tags are made out of. I have plenty of partial tubes of silicone sealant laying around, but not Gorilla brand, so I tried it on one tag.

I bonded one tag with silicone sealant, one with Barge and one with E6000. My suspicion is that the E6000 will result in the most permanent bond, but might require some destruction of the tag/grip to remove. The silicone sealant and barge bonded tags will probably be easier to remove. 

After they're all fully cured, I'll hit some balls and see how well the tags stay put. I've been hitting the ball off the toe lately, so I'll be challenging the bond strength under plenty of vibratory stress 😂

-Peter

• Administrator

I've had maybe one tag ever fall out using Gorilla glue silicone.

This stuff:

I say maybe because it might be 0. It's not ≥2.

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

I've had maybe one tag ever fall out using Gorilla glue silicone.

This stuff:

I say maybe because it might be 0. It's not ≥2.

If the silicone product can withstand my poor strikes, this will probably be my first choice due to ease of removal. If they start popping out, I'll go with something more permanent and deal with removal when the time comes.

I'm not married to my Shot Scope system because I really dislike the ginormous watch, but I've got better golf related things to spend money on this winter (more lessons).

-Peter

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I'm not married to my Shot Scope system because I really dislike the ginormous watch, but I've got better golf related things to spend money on this winter (more lessons).

I got it to review but have thus far declined. I thought the watch could just be nearby, and would show info, but you have to WEAR it to track the shots. That's basically a non-starter for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I did my bag half/half using RTV silicone sealant or Barge cement to fix the tags to the grips. Everything has held perfectly except the 7-iron tag fixed with silicone eventually loosened a bit, but not to the point where the tag was going to fall out. This is the club I practice with most frequently, so I figure the extra vibration from thin/toe shots and hitting off a mat slowly loosened the silicone, or possibly the grip/tag wasn't cleaned off well enough before bonding. I re-fixed this one with Barge and it has held fine so far.

After my experiment, I would go with silicone in the future per the previous recommendations, as it is easier to work with, and holds fine for typical use, and just periodically check the tags.

-Peter

Note: This thread is 1578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!