IGNORED

Tee box etiquette for walkers

hack2scratch
Note: This thread is 2861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Unless I'm playing in a scramble or something, i walk every time i play.  I find that keeping up with three riders has never really been a problem. A lot of the time, I'm last to play anyway. On an empty course, ill just ask the riders to play through. 

Of course you should wait, never walk away from your group at the tee until all are done, but you shouldn't worry about not keeping up, I'm a walker and have very rarely seen a group of riders that can smoke me, one rider? yes, but not a group, chances are you'll have no problem keeping up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

The trick is to stay to the left side of the hole. Most golfers are righty so you'll always be out of the shank zone on the left side. Obviously not all holes are optimally shaped for this practice so you have to use your judgement but caddies do it all the time and learn the right places on the courses to be.

That's definitely a good thought. The shank is the killer. On the left side, you've probably got to go a good 100-150 yards before you hit the pull/snap hook zone. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I kind of have to smile when a discussion of walking and keeping up with carts comes up.  Yes, three guys in 2 carts on a reasonably full course is not an issue for a walker.  Even playing on a fairly empty course with one guy in a cart who is fairly new to the game is not a problem.  I always felt that when I walked I could keep up with anybody.  Then one day I joined a 2-some on the first tee who were using a cart .

I hit a decent drive and then both of them smoked drives down the center and hopped in the cart.  I hustled to my ball and hit while they lounged in the cart.  They hopped out, hit to the green and took off.  I arrived at the green panting while they calmly surveyed their putts.  When we were done they whizzed over to the next tee as I almost sprinted after them.

This went on for 4-5 holes.  They were very nice, never hinted that maybe I should hurry, etc... They never seemed to miss a shot and definitely never wasted any time.  I was never so happy as when we ran into a group in front of us and we could no longer play "quickly."

Yes, walking can be as efficient as riding most of the time.  Let's not kid ourselves that riding isn't faster than walking if the riding players are efficient and there are no outside delays.

Brian Kuehn

10 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I kind of have to smile when a discussion of walking and keeping up with carts comes up.  Yes, three guys in 2 carts on a reasonably full course is not an issue for a walker.  Even playing on a fairly empty course with one guy in a cart who is fairly new to the game is not a problem.  I always felt that when I walked I could keep up with anybody.  Then one day I joined a 2-some on the first tee who were using a cart .

I hit a decent drive and then both of them smoked drives down the center and hopped in the cart.  I hustled to my ball and hit while they lounged in the cart.  They hopped out, hit to the green and took off.  I arrived at the green panting while they calmly surveyed their putts.  When we were done they whizzed over to the next tee as I almost sprinted after them.

This went on for 4-5 holes.  They were very nice, never hinted that maybe I should hurry, etc... They never seemed to miss a shot and definitely never wasted any time.  I was never so happy as when we ran into a group in front of us and we could no longer play "quickly."

Yes, walking can be as efficient as riding most of the time.  Let's not kid ourselves that riding isn't faster than walking if the riding players are efficient and there are no outside delays.

I agree and experience it often. I play with a walker who is a good player but struggles to keep up. I try and consciously slow down sometimes to give them a break.

On 6/8/2016 at 5:06 AM, Hardspoon said:

I'm in a similar situation most times I play. I definitely don't walk forward until everyone has hit. If I hit first, I will move off the tee box over near my bag, but I don't advance and I help others "spot" their tee shots.

As long as there are two people sharing a cart, and they play ready golf, you should be able to keep up fine. Only time I've ever felt rushed is when it was me (walking) with one other single (riding). 

This was me yesterday.  I was the rider playing with a single walker.  We had a great time, because I didn't try to make it look like I was going to run off and leave him - wasn't possible anyway until partway through the back 9 when a couple of 9 hole groups dropped out at the turn, and we played through the slow foursome in front to got some clear air in front of us.  Even then I tried to make sure that he didn't feel rushed.  I usually drove slowly along side him at least part of the way to our balls.  Then I'd drift up ahead when I knew that I would be hitting first and needed to get ready to play.

The etiquette in this situation swings both ways.  The walker shouldn't go off and leave the rest of the group on the tee any more than you should leave the green before everyone has holed out - both are poor etiquette, not to mention, rude.  At the same time, the riders should not make the walker feel as if he has to jog to keep up.  The group as a whole can only go as fast as the slowest player, so why race up the hole in your carts and ignore the walker?  

If there are one or two errant drives that may require a search, then I don't see any problem with driving right on up and starting to look.  I also make a point of heading toward the walker's ball first, since I do have a speed advantage.  When I spot his ball I'll point it out to him, then head for mine.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

6 hours ago, Fourputt said:

This was me yesterday.  I was the rider playing with a single walker.  We had a great time, because I didn't try to make it look like I was going to run off and leave him - wasn't possible anyway until partway through the back 9 when a couple of 9 hole groups dropped out at the turn, and we played through the slow foursome in front to got some clear air in front of us.  Even then I tried to make sure that he didn't feel rushed.  I usually drove slowly along side him at least part of the way to our balls.  Then I'd drift up ahead when I knew that I would be hitting first and needed to get ready to play.

The etiquette in this situation swings both ways.  The walker shouldn't go off and leave the rest of the group on the tee any more than you should leave the green before everyone has holed out - both are poor etiquette, not to mention, rude.  At the same time, the riders should not make the walker feel as if he has to jog to keep up.  The group as a whole can only go as fast as the slowest player, so why race up the hole in your carts and ignore the walker?  

If there are one or two errant drives that may require a search, then I don't see any problem with driving right on up and starting to look.  I also make a point of heading toward the walker's ball first, since I do have a speed advantage.  When I spot his ball I'll point it out to him, then head for mine.

I like your approach to this.  I walk every round at my club and usually am paired with 2 or 3 other riders.  It is extremely rare for me to feel rushed, as our course is very easy to walk and I generally play fast.  There are times, though, where it can be different.  For example, my club pro is a borderline speed golfer.  He'll shoot a 72 while trying to finish the round as a threesome in 2 1/2 hrs.  If I get paired with him as a threesome and the course is wide open, it becomes very weird.  As a 3-some, 3 hours is comfortable for me.  Faster than that, and it becomes a foot race.

I think I am speaking for us dwindling walkers in saying that we appreciate some of the things you say you do above.  Driving ahead to locate our errant shots is very much appreciated.  Driving really slow once in a while to chat with us is cool. 

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 11:14 AM, SavvySwede said:

I walk ahead. All you need to do is be quiet and walk along the edge of the hole. Caddies do it all the time while their players are teeing off, it's nothing unusual.

When you say "caddies do it all the time," are you talking fore-caddies?  I've never seen that with regular caddies.

For me, I could never do it.  It just seems so rude to the others.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, boil3rmak3r said:

I like your approach to this.  I walk every round at my club and usually am paired with 2 or 3 other riders.  It is extremely rare for me to feel rushed, as our course is very easy to walk and I generally play fast.  There are times, though, where it can be different.  For example, my club pro is a borderline speed golfer.  He'll shoot a 72 while trying to finish the round as a threesome in 2 1/2 hrs.  If I get paired with him as a threesome and the course is wide open, it becomes very weird.  As a 3-some, 3 hours is comfortable for me.  Faster than that, and it becomes a foot race.

I think I am speaking for us dwindling walkers in saying that we appreciate some of the things you say you do above.  Driving ahead to locate our errant shots is very much appreciated.  Driving really slow once in a while to chat with us is cool. 

When you say "caddies do it all the time," are you talking fore-caddies?  I've never seen that with regular caddies.

For me, I could never do it.  It just seems so rude to the others.

Regular caddies with a bag on each shoulder moving ahead of their players so they can get the yardage and/or find the ball before their player arrives at the tee. There are even paths cut into the fescue on a few holes at their usual shortcuts. Only time I haven't seen caddies do it are the caddies on the pro tours.

I don't get why people think it's rude, you are still watching your playing partners tee off and find their balls (from a better vantage point to boot) When I played in highschool matches and everyone was walking it was common practice to move ahead in the blindspots  while others were playing their second shots. We only had so much daylight and wanted to make sure we'd catch the last bus home.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

On 6/8/2016 at 7:53 PM, bkuehn1952 said:

Yeah, this. I can walk my home course in about 2.75 hours. But, two guys in a cart not spraying balls everywhere will be too fast for me most of the time. Personally, I have no desire to play 18 in 2 hours, but whatever floats your boat.

I'd rather yield to those guys than get stuck behind "Looking for a ball that went 50 yds deep into the woods for 5 minutes" crew.

I, too, feel it's kind of bad form to hit your tee shot and just walk on ahead. However, you can have your bag on your shoulder and be off the instant after the last man to tee off has struck his ball. As far as double bagged caddies walking ahead, they have a job to do and are not a FC.

I also like the idea that the riders shouldn't make you feel like you're in a race. I ride most of the time nowadays. I'm 63, and my knees are fairly shot. But I heard a great suggestion from Gary Player. He recommended that, even if you're riding, get out of the cart and walk a hole here and there. Let your buddy drive the cart. To do so with a walker is a nice sign of consideration.

I also liked bkuehn's comment that riders who can play are going to be fast. My buddy and I played 27 today in 5 hours, with stops between nines for a dog and beer for the ride.

17 hours ago, anthony said:

Yeah, this. I can walk my home course in about 2.75 hours. But, two guys in a cart not spraying balls everywhere will be too fast for me most of the time. Personally, I have no desire to play 18 in 2 hours, but whatever floats your boat.

I'd rather yield to those guys than get stuck behind "Looking for a ball that went 50 yds deep into the woods for 5 minutes" crew.

We were behind four guys in two carts yesterday. Three of us walked (two in our 50s and one 70 year old). We were waiting on them from the fourth hole on. The round took 4:45. We easily lost 45 minutes. 

What made them slow wasn't bad play, but being slow between shots and getting off the green. 

I usually get my push cart ready so that after the last tee shots, I start walking immediately. I will only go ahead if there is a dog leg or something that the others want a fore caddy for.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I personally do not enjoy walking while others in my group are riding. This stems mainly from feeling somewhat left out of the group socially. Hit, walk, hit, walk, meanwhile the others are enjoying conversation. 

That being said, when I do walk while others ride I wait for everyone to tee off to start walking. I make up the time while the two in the cart go to their respective shots. 

- Mark

On 6/11/2016 at 8:40 AM, boogielicious said:

What made them slow wasn't bad play, but being slow between shots and getting off the green.

This is the culprit many times, I agree. People often dick around like they own the place between putting out and teeing off on the next hole. More golfers should play ready golf. Are you ready to putt? Then putt. Are you ready to tee off? Please, do so. No one really cares.

This reminds me of a round I played last year. It was a random Thursday where I took an extended weekend. I played 18 by myself (walked it). I caught up to the group of 4 (who were riding) that were teeing off on #10 while I was on #1. Somehow I walked 18 holes in the time they played 9. Actually it would have been a little faster since I did wait to hit on the 18th fairway. What is that, a 6 hour round? That's just ridiculous.

Note: This thread is 2861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!