IGNORED

Orlando, Florida

Note: This thread is 2298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been pretty active in the Dayton, OH group for years, but I am moving to Orlando, FL in a few weeks and thought I would start up a thread for meetups in the area and/or discussion about golf courses. I am shopping for a house and would love for it to be on a golf course. My son has 2 years of high school left, so a decent high school is a must.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Being extremely new to golf I am not familiar enough with good areas that have golf courses in Orlando. As previously mentioned though, Lake Mary is a great place. We have a home on a golf course in Tampa FL (Northdale), and I absolutely love it. It's nice, makes your backyard seem even bigger and can always relax with a cold beverage on a hot day and watch the golfers come through. 

On 6/17/2016 at 11:23 AM, Gator Hazard said:

Being extremely new to golf I am not familiar enough with good areas that have golf courses in Orlando. As previously mentioned though, Lake Mary is a great place. We have a home on a golf course in Tampa FL (Northdale), and I absolutely love it. It's nice, makes your backyard seem even bigger and can always relax with a cold beverage on a hot day and watch the golfers come through. 

I would love to find a home on a golf course. The wife is insistent NOT to live right by a body of water. @David in FL warned me about Errol Estates. I'm wondering about Eagle Dunes. There is a half double for rent there and I like the country feeling of the Mr. Dora area.

- Shane

On June 18, 2016 at 4:46 PM, CarlSpackler said:

I would love to find a home on a golf course. The wife is insistent NOT to live right by a body of water. @David in FL warned me about Errol Estates. I'm wondering about Eagle Dunes. There is a half double for rent there and I like the country feeling of the Mr. Dora area.

Eagle Dunes is one of my favorite courses in that area.  One I play a lot.  Generally in good to very good shape and known for some of the consistently best greens in Central FL.  They also just built a new Publix grocery center there to make it much more convenient than previously.

Several other courses close by too, including Redtail, a formerly private course that is now available for public play.  Absolutely worth a look if you like the country type area!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On June 19, 2016 at 5:49 PM, David in FL said:

Eagle Dunes is one of my favorite courses in that area.  One I play a lot.  Generally in good to very good shape and known for some of the consistently best greens in Central FL.  They also just built a new Publix grocery center there to make it much more convenient than previously.

Several other courses close by too, including Redtail, a formerly private course that is now available for public play.  Absolutely worth a look if you like the country type area!

Is that where we played when the Dutch came? I liked that course.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Just now, jetsknicks1 said:

Is that where we played when the Dutch came? I liked that course.

Yep.  Get your butt back down here and we'll play again one of these days!

In David's bag....

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Yep.  Get your butt back down here and we'll play again one of these days!

Living centrally located in Ocala, I'm always willing to travel a bit buddy. :-)

my get up and go musta got up and went..

The houses for rent at Eagle Dunes have been snatched up. Dangit! A realtor sent me a listing on Black Bear north of there, but the community didn't have the same amenities as Eagle Dunes.

- Shane

Right down the road from Eagle Dunes, but Black Bear isn't as nice.  Neither the community, nor the course.  It does have a much nicer clubhouse/grill though.

I don't know that either have lot in terms of other amenities though...

In David's bag....

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Right down the road from Eagle Dunes, but Black Bear isn't as nice.  Neither the community, nor the course.  It does have a much nicer clubhouse/grill though.

I don't know that either have lot in terms of other amenities though...

Eagle dunes has a community pool. It doesn't appear that Black Bear does. It's pretty tough to find a rental on a golf course. I suppose it doesn't have to be, but it would certainly be nice.

- Shane

• 2 weeks later...

The time is almost here. I am hitting the road with my clothes and golf clubs this Friday and start the new job on Monday!

We were there over the weekend and found a few houses that we want to view. One is in Lake Brantley school district, and the other in Winter Springs. They both seem like really nice schools. As for my temporary residence, I am trying to book a golf villa on Country Club of Mt. Dora for a month . Seems like a really nice course. The villa comes with social membership privileges. Have you played this @David in FL?

- Shane

7 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

Nice!  Congrats on the new job and have a safe journey down here!

Thanks! Getting excited!

- Shane

9 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

The time is almost here. I am hitting the road with my clothes and golf clubs this Friday and start the new job on Monday!

We were there over the weekend and found a few houses that we want to view. One is in Lake Brantley school district, and the other in Winter Springs. They both seem like really nice schools. As for my temporary residence, I am trying to book a golf villa on Country Club of Mt. Dora for a month . Seems like a really nice course. The villa comes with social membership privileges. Have you played this @David in FL?

Yep.  Short course but not bad.  Usually in decent shape, but I haven't played there in a couple of years.  Former pro there is now the head pro at Eagle Dunes.

Another interesting course in that general area is Deer Island.

Good luck with the move.  Be prepared, it's HOT down here right now!

In David's bag....

Small world, I used to live in Mt dora and still have family in Eustis. I  always liked eagle dunes and I liked Forest Lake in Ocoee. 

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

Yep.  Short course but not bad.  Usually in decent shape, but I haven't played there in a couple of years.  Former pro there is now the head pro at Eagle Dunes.

Another interesting course in that general area is Deer Island.

Good luck with the move.  Be prepared, it's HOT down here right now!

I was down there over the weekend. It did get a bit warm on Monday, but that is to be expected. The rental at Mt. Dora CC fell through. Apparently they didn't have the availability updated. On to Plan D.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!