IGNORED

PXG Irons, Are they worth the money?

Note: This thread is 2010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 hours ago, altos said:

IMG_1262aaa.thumb.jpg.369314d5b9333e0bbc4cbb1347bea7cc.jpg

That's awesome! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, altos said:

Black socks are fancier...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

If you are a veteran or emergency responder you can get 50% off right now for Gen1 irons.  They come out cheaper than pretty much any other top of the line brand I almost bought a backup set.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

2 hours ago, poser said:

If you are a veteran or emergency responder you can get 50% off right now for Gen1 irons.  They come out cheaper than pretty much any other top of the line brand I almost bought a backup set.

Thats only $25 more than the Mizzies I was looking at.... Sounds like a road trip to Liberty National might be in order...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

On 6/20/2018 at 7:43 PM, altos said:

Yes, people seldom look at clubs... although... hummmm.... large manufacturer logos on bags, shoes, hats, head covers, gloves, shirts... oh, that's right, no one looks.  But, apparently, the owner hopes they will look.  Buying "status", real or perceived.  I'm not a fan of being an advertising billboard.  Regardless, if they have the money and are happy, more power to them !!!  Enjoy yourself.   I have a Dockers head cover on my driver.  It's white, size 12, cotton, works like a champ.   I don't know where the other sock is.   But if I ever need to blast out of a pond I will have prepared for at least one dry foot.  No one has asked my about my Dockers driver.  Yet.  

You are correct here, but it doesn't make them a great golfer. I have seen some full kit wankers who hack away at that little white ball like it owes them money, but to them, at least they look the part when they roll up to the first tee box.

Ohthehumanity, I agree.  See post #43.   There are many who over-strive to look the part with minimal or no talent.  Instead of actually improving their game, they improve the perception of what they perceive is "the look" of a quality player.  My personal, totally biased opinion is that the money would be better spent on lessons.  But that's me, not them.   There are, as well, certain cultures where a logo means everything.   Regardless, if it makes them happy, go for it!  It's their money and life.  If they get a kick out if it, enjoy in good health at full volume.   

There are also lots of very good golfers who have the means to afford a set of PXGs and purchase them because they are well suited to their game. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• 2 months later...

If just for performance, probably not worth it.  But it probably goes beyond that as several others have noted.  It may be that, to some people, the design and craftsmanship have  a high value beyond performance and playability.  Nobody can judge how much value the "nontangibles" have, except for the individual.  To me, not worth it; to somebody else, maybe worth every penny. 

If one could actually move the weights without an Act of Congress or with loctite remover, they'd be helpful - asked my clubmaker about it, and he said, "Jerry, that is a PITA."

So if you have a permanent swing fault where you always hit on toe, or let's say, the heel, better tell them upfront.

When they first came out, I think it was more status -- you'd see guys with PXG entire bags and the PXG bag -- but now, with Gen 1 on sale and the novelty wearing off, I believe it's more "do they fit my game" along with, yes, some sort of status - but that "look at me" stuff has lessened. I've always hidden mine under a big towel. And yes, people would look. Not so much any longer.

Are they worth $400 per iron? Not to me. I'll be selling mine soon after 3 years. But the hybrids? The hybrids are great with the right shaft.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On 6/21/2018 at 5:17 PM, altos said:

I got ya beat!  I got my wife's Froggy sock on my TA Silver Scott rock club!

I will take a pic tomorrow when I am out playing and post it.

If any others got cool socks to rock, Post Em Up!!

As for PXG I heard you gotta fly to their course (I think it is in AZ) and get fit and play for 3 - 4 day as part of the experience.  To each his own.  I dont like the looks of all those holes so I would not try or play them.  I collect clubs so I have quite a few sets.  To me its not about the $$$ its about how I like the look and feel before I will buy them.

Edited by Vinny Cap

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

@altos Check this one out!  Froggy sock covering my TA Silver Scot rock club.

image.png.7cdc7b69c61ff39cc92294b4ce77c779.png

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

In short. No. I played a full round with a set back i august. Shot 78 with them i think. They're good sticks but you can get something comparable (Titlleist AP2, Mizuno JPX, Callaway Apex etc) for about half price.  Even more if you buy off year.  Ive never hit PXG woods or wedges so i cant really comment, there. 

IMO PXG is the new Miura -its gear for people into conspicuous consumption and status symbols. Mostly by players who cant hit them. But the guy i borrowed the set from is actually really good player...😂 One of the best mid-ams in the northeast corridor. Just has alot of disposable income. When i did private clubs, If i saw a guy rolling up to the tee with a branded out bag full of those things it meant i was in for 5 hours of looking for balls in the trees. Don't be that guy. 

Note: This thread is 2010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!