IGNORED

PXG Irons, Are they worth the money?

Note: This thread is 2030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Curious if anyone here has hit the PXG irons? I've heard some great things about them but nothing really first hand, I've mostly heard from reviewer channels on youtube. Are they worth the $300 per club? Pro's and Con's?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I highly doubt anyone makes clubs that are "worth" $300 per stick.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

2 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

"Worth" is relative.  To some $100 per stick isn't worth it, others will buy drivers that cost over $800 with custom shafts.  I like PXG and am impressed with Parsons commitment to being a major player in golf but at this point I don't think they'll improve my golf game beyond the current clubs I own.  

Joe Paradiso

15 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

A lot of people have a driver, fairway woods, putters, that are $300+, while it is very expensive per iron compared to other sets, as stated above worth is fairly relative. People will say the same thing about expensive cars, houses, jewelry, etc. Unfortunately for me there aren't any good fitters or places with lots of club selection, especially the more "upper end" golf equipment in my area so I was wondering if people on this site may had access and were able to demo them.

We have a couple of guys at the club who are playing the PXG clubs.  Both have been happy with the clubs, but they both have the same index as they did last year with their old clubs.  

One bought a set of irons with the same shafts that he got fit for previously, so it cost him around 2k.  The other guy went to Florida, got fitted for each iron, hybrids, fairway woods and driver and he said it set him back over $5k (not including trip to Florida).

They both say they hit the ball further, but haven't had any appreciable lowering of handicap, so take that for what you will.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I know few guys that have a set of them. Ive hit the 8 iron from one guys set. If felt ok, but it seemed like i hit it a mile high. Perhaps it was the shaft in it. I wouldn't ditch the AP2's i play now for these. 

IMO, the people that buy these irons are the same type of folks that buy Mirura Irons. They just want the most expensive thing out there. Which is fine, but my gut feeling is that you can get similar performance out of any number of players type clubs. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine
  • Upvote 1

As far as I understand their marketing, their irons are meant to appear blade like but equal the forgiveness of game improvement irons.  If that's what you want, and no cheaper set does it better, then they may be worth it to you.  It doesn't meant your scores will go down though.

Personally, I'm interested in them for my next set.  I'm currently averaging about 8 years per set so it's not all that much amortized.  And I'd like something really cool for the next 8 years.

• Upvote 1

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 0:05 PM, Groucho Valentine said:

I know few guys that have a set of them. Ive hit the 8 iron from one guys set. If felt ok, but it seemed like i hit it a mile high. Perhaps it was the shaft in it. I wouldn't ditch the AP2's i play now for these. 

IMO, the people that buy these irons are the same type of folks that buy Mirura Irons. They just want the most expensive thing out there. Which is fine, but my gut feeling is that you can get similar performance out of any number of players type clubs. 

I think you are missing the confidence element of having the best equipment. I'm not saying your wrong just that there's more to it than similar performance. Also most of us like the way certain clubs look which can affect performance mentally. 

1 hour ago, Jakester23 said:

I think you are missing the confidence element of having the best equipment. I'm not saying your wrong just that there's more to it than similar performance. Also most of us like the way certain clubs look which can affect performance mentally. 

Most expensive doesn't always mean best, though it's a common misconception.  There are plenty of club options for people to fit every budget.  PXG has targeted the high end and their aggressive marketing is causing people even with limited budgets to give them a second look.  

I agree 100% you have to like looking down at your clubs and that it does help confidence.  

• Like 1

Joe Paradiso

I'm quite sure a fitted set of pings, etc and spend the balance on more lessons would benefit me more. Just spending all of it on lessons would be the best investment

Edited by chilepepper
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

PXG.. have owned 7-PW in the 0311 since June 15 -- very forgiving, the new XF is very, very forgiving. I have it in a 6i. I like the blade-like appearance and soft feel. You can hit them beyond the grooves and still get a decent result - I've experienced it. Get fit for the shaft by a custom clubmaker dealer. When you are paying $350/club, don't order them without trying the combo you want.  

Makes a great older guy's club because you do not feel any shock when paired with a graphite shaft.

What I don't like? Could use a little more relief and a bit heel and toe relief to cut some bounce - they have generous bounce. I am beginning to come in more shallow and that, for some reason, helps.

Other distance irons are available such as the CF16, Srixon 565, etc.

If you like hybrids, they are well designed clubs with an attractive appearance.

But the irons are the "thing" with PXG.

If interested, find a custom clubmaker dealer. Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 3 months later...

i have gradually changed ALL my bag into PXG, with the only exception of putter and driver.

We all know that golf is very personal but, TO ME, especially the irons, are the best i ever had.

And, i was used to premium Japanese brands, like Epon, On Off and RC.

Japanese quality and finishing is certainly better, but PXG performances in terms of feel, distance, accuracy and forgiveness are.......unbeatable!

He has stated the new PXG clubs will be much more expensive. I would never pay the outrageous price they are now. Yes, If I wanted them I could afford them but why? I won't but super overpriced golf clubs. The regular ones cost enough IMHO. As golf rounds go down club prices go throw the roof? Seems backwards. In my experience when expensive items come out after selling some they usually drop in price, not go up. So much for a billionaires golf clubs.  

On 6/20/2016 at 5:05 PM, newtogolf said:

"Worth" is relative.  To some $100 per stick isn't worth it, others will buy drivers that cost over $800 with custom shafts.  I like PXG and am impressed with Parsons commitment to being a major player in golf but at this point I don't think they'll improve my golf game beyond the current clubs I own.  

That's kind of how I feel. I don't like paying $300 for a Driver let alone every club in the bag! Besides, I don't think I have the game to justify that kind of outlay, and I hit my current irons just fine. I could spend money on lessons and a fitting for custom made clubs and be farther ahead.

I've gamed both the 0311 and 0311T irons from PXG in the past year.  Very nice clubs but absolutely not worth $325+ per club IMO.  They didn't magically make the ball fly 20 yards longer, any straighter or get the ball any closer to the hole than my Srixons so they just didn't make sense to me.  Feel was very good but, again, nothing abnormal that warrants the price tag.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

Yeah I ended up hitting them a couple months ago and wasn't super impressed with them.  They felt pretty good but not good enough to warrant that kind of money in my opinion. I also noticed I launched the ball extremely high with them compared to other clubs.

Note: This thread is 2030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!