IGNORED

How serious do you take warming up?

freshmanUTA
Note: This thread is 2849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

Sucky, how old are you?

Yes, no fun.  I'm sad to say that I'm 50.  Using the Bionic glove now, Stability.  Gotta say, it's helping my pain, a lot.  I'm at 8.8 now with a smooth 90 on Sat (88 entered cuz I had 2 fine triples).  Don't get old.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm old and arthritic.  If I don't warm up, it's serious!  20 balls or so is enough to losses things up.  Absolutely mandatory.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I'm old and arthritic.  If I don't warm up, it's serious!  20 balls or so is enough to losses things up.  Absolutely mandatory.

I'm 65, and have an arthritic right hip. I do best if I stop off at the gym and 10 minutes on the elliptical bike to warm up the muscles. Then, I go to the course and do a 4-part dynamic stretching routine (approximates movements of golf swing).

Next:

• A few 8i chips and 54* pitches, and some putts.
  • A few partial shots with 6i or 7i to ensure good setup.
  • Then, I need to a hit 15 or so full shots. A couple of 5i and 7i shots, but mainly the long clubs - I want to make sure the Driver and FWs are in tempo.

Temperatures are high lately, so I can skip the elliptical bike.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Generally get 1st or 2nd tee time in the morning so I do not hit any balls on the range.  Would like to maybe putt a few but the guys I play with are always in a hurry to get started.  I try to put a few from 6' or 10' then a little stretching and a couple of swings at the 1st tee box...That is probably why I don't feel like I am warmed up til i get to tee box #4

Edited by Osnola

A lot of the time I do hit a small bucket of balls starting with my pitching iron until I get my swing comfortable.   I move to my 7 until I get it right and the play the first three holes of the course in my mind on the practice range.  I spend about 30 minutes with this and then head to the putting green to chip and putt.    When I take the time to warm up like this, I play much better.   When I rush to the course and jump on the first tee, the first two holes kill me and I struggle.  

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, Gunther said:

Yes, no fun.  I'm sad to say that I'm 50.  Using the Bionic glove now, Stability.  Gotta say, it's helping my pain, a lot.  I'm at 8.8 now with a smooth 90 on Sat (88 entered cuz I had 2 fine triples).  Don't get old.

Already there at 48 going on 49.. 

Dave :-)

I don't feel the need to hit a ton of balls. I'll hit 15-30 most times to get a feel for my swing and ball flight for the day. Then I'll take about 10 practice putts from 20-40 feet to get the feel of the greens. I might do a few practice chips without hitting a ball on the first tee while waiting. That's it.

"Witty golf quote."

I have to loosen up and get warm. I do active stretching to loosen up. Then, if I can hit some balls, I will. It is more to dial in my swing feel than anything else. I will limit it to a small bucket at most with 20 or so full swings and maybe 10 long pitch shots.

If I can't hit balls, I do active stretching to loosen up only. Then putts and pitches.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I've learned that my endurance really sucks for my age (28). So lately I've been able to shoot much better scores if I don't warm up at all so that the fatigue doesn't set in as soon. I've made the decision to start actually working out, rather than just being "active."

When I do warm up with a bucket of balls, I probably don't hit more than 20 balls. A few SW, 9i, 7i, 2H, and driver. That's about it.

What is absolutely imperative to mine (and I believe everyone's') long term health is to make sure you stretch sufficiently (and effectively) before ever making a full swing. I don't care if I look like a poser on the range. I don't want to have back surgery 20 years from now because I didn't want to take the extra 2 minutes every range session or round.

• Upvote 1

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I belong to a club that has an iron only range, so I don't usually hit balls before I play. That said, I've never really gotten much out of pre round warm up any way. I can be shanking full shots on the range pre round and shoot 75(it happened), or be killing it on the range and shoot 85.

I do need to hit a few chips(head steady) and putts (make sure I'm hitting my line) before I play.

10 hours ago, dennyjones said:

A lot of the time I do hit a small bucket of balls starting with my pitching iron until I get my swing comfortable.   I move to my 7 until I get it right and the play the first three holes of the course in my mind on the practice range.  I spend about 30 minutes with this and then head to the putting green to chip and putt.    When I take the time to warm up like this, I play much better.   When I rush to the course and jump on the first tee, the first two holes kill me and I struggle.  

I like this!

When I hit the first tee right out of the parking lot it takes me a few holes to get settled. At the very least I need to warmup and get loose. And since I have serious ADD :-(, I have notes with me on my phone to reference from my most recent lessons before I start hitting balls.. I am looking for swing keys to dumb it down for the day.

Bill M

The Pros take their time and warm up on a serious basis.  I am a 17 HCP and averaging less than 1 round per week this season and I would be delusional not to include a good 45 minute warm up before one of my rounds.  That time is at least half full swings with the remainder short game practice.  I am 64 and do not hit 150 balls before a round but 50-60 balls works fine for full swings(irons, hybrids, and driver) and does not tire me out.   If I cannot get in the full swings before a round the first several holes are usually a disaster. 

19 hours ago, mchepp said:

I try to follow the #1 player in the world. 

P.S. there are a bunch of these on youtube now and what I find is that they are all kinda similar. It is worth watching some or even all of them.

This is great.  However I did chuckle a bit at the part that said "looks at yardage book" without any explanation as to why.

As of now, if I have the time and/or it's an important round, then I will warm up more "seriously" but mostly it's just a handful of shots to get loose.  Anything to avoid the first drive being my first swing of the day is a win.

But I think I'd like to try a better routine, like what Day does in your video here. :)

I hit enough to not feel stiff and figure out who I am dancing with. The pre round warm up is not the time to figure out why your 5 yard draw turned into a 10 yard cut over night. You dance with whoever you brought to the dance. I will putt 3-4 three footers then I will putt around the horn trying to get  feel for speed. Last I will putt from fringe to fringe diagonally back and forth trying to get the ball to just bump the fringe. This helps me get my speed dialed in. I make more putts when my speed is on point as opposed to hitting my mark perfectly.  

I'll work my way up through the even number clubs. 

56, PW, 8, 6, hybrid, 3-wood, driver. 

I tend to hit more shots on the low end because I am trying to get loosened up. I probably hit 60-70 golf balls. Then I go on to the short game area if the course has one. If not then I'll hit some short game shots at the range if I have extra balls. I spend the last 15-20 minutes before my tee time putting. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Not too serious, I do the serious thing at the range, before a round I just want to warm up and get a feel for how the driver is going, maybe some other long clubs, that's what usually makes or breaks me.

I also skip the bucket for the putter a lot, I would say most rounds I'd rather hit the practice green over the range.

Note: This thread is 2849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!