IGNORED

How serious do you take warming up?

freshmanUTA
Note: This thread is 2858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use my free bucket to mostly work on my chipping and wedge shots.  I'll take the last 10-15 balls and hit whatever club i'm going to hit off the first tee.  

if i'm familiar with the course i'll maybe put for 5 minutes.  Unfamiliar courses get a little more attention on the putting.

I arrive about an hour and fifteen minutes prior to my tee time. I get the practice range bag and start with my pitching wedge for a few shots, work to my 7 iron, then to my 5 iron. First few are just seeing what my ball flight is looking like. 

Then pravtice green and I grab my 60 degree and start throwing some pitches and chips at different targets for about 15 minutes. 

Then I putt for about 15 minutes working on a good stroke and getting my grip comfortable. 

Lastly to close it out, I pull my 52, 56, and 60, and start with one wedge, pick a target hole and pitch/chip then try to putt those out. Then I go back and grab a different wedge and do the same. I'll cycle through about 3 or 4 times. 

Then I'll toss a ball about 25 feet away and work on distance control. 

Then then I hit the first tee and hopefully play well. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/21/2016 at 3:03 PM, No Mulligans said:

No warmup bucket for me.  I spend about 2 to 10 minutes on the putting green and then take a few practice swings while on deck at the tee box (without balls of course).

I get to the course about 20 minutes before tee time, not enough time for a warmup bucket.  I prefer to try to dial in my distance for putting and chipping.

That sounds like me. When I was younger, stronger, and more "tightly sprung", I really needed a good warmup session. Nowadays I do a little chipping and putting. I can take my first practice swing right back to parallel, I just need to remember to do that when I'm actually playing a stroke!

Today was the 3rd day in a row playing.  I don't , as a rule play that often at home.  I was walking by the range and my partners had hit a bucket. they said to hit the last two and I did. scuffed the first, sliced the second.  Walked to the 1st hole hit a nice drive and went on to shoot 87.  It was approx. 26deg c or about 80 deg f .  For me, I feel I have a finite number of shots and if I dip into that too far, I will end up on 18 tired and hitting shitty shots and have the whole round blown.  I take 3 holes to warm up in the fall in the spring. In the summer weather   I walk and feel pretty well by hole #2. I try to wag my head side to side and front to back and hear the creaking noises of my 66 years of abuse.  Like Willie and Merle if I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care (maybe)

I dislike hitting the first tee cold. 30-40 balls to warm up running through every other club then about 15 minutes on the practice green. I feel like the first two holes are questionable , mentally anyway,if I don't warm up. 

To be honest,warming up before golf is like sexual foreplay. I have never bothered with it, and probably never will

Edited by paininthenuts

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I am nearly 60 and beat to carp by a lifetime of sports and carpentry work.  If I don't warm up I can barely move...so I take easy swings with a 7 iron until I am making a complete motion.  Then I hit one good hybrid, one good 3 wood, and a few 30 to 40 yard pitches.  Time permitting I will hit 8 from the practice bunker: 4 with a 54 and 4 with a 58...just to see who wants to get in the game.  That's it.  The only thing I take seriously is getting loose.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I only hit about 10-15 balls.  After some stretching, I hit about 5-10 with a 7 iron, a few with the driver and a few pitches with a 54 wedge.  If I dont hit a few balls, I usually struggle for the first couple holes to get my timing down.  If I hit to many, by the time I tee off, I am in my head and I usually dont recover from that very quickly and just play the game 

I usually try to put a few as well to get the feel of the green speed 

Edited by Brian W

I try to warm up a bit on the range every time I play.  After some simple stretches, I usually start with a short iron for 8 or 10 swings, a mid-iron for 8 or 10, maybe a half-dozen drivers, and then work back down with 4 or 5 of the same mid- and short-irons.  Then putting, first some medium range putts to get a feel for distance, then some shorter ones for positive images of making putts.  I may also chip a few, just to rehearse that motion a little.  I'd call all of this semi-serious, I'm working mostly on loosening muscles and reminding myself of swing keys than really working on swing mechanics.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

My course doesnt really have a warmup area.....I've never par'd the 2nd hole there and the 1st hole is a rare par for me. Maybe 2-3 pars on it for the whole year.

I don,t warm up at all. I don,t want to get all tuckered out on the driving range. Esp. in this North Carolina heat. I do pretty good just stepping up to the 1st. tee and going.

Note: This thread is 2858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!