IGNORED

Hypnosis for Proper Swings

Note: This thread is 2723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone have experience with hypnosis for golf performance?

As I have mentioned, I started playing less than three years ago, at 72, compromised with severe osteoarthritis, requiring all four shoulder and hip total replacements. My degenerated discs can’t be replaced.

My shoulder surgeon told me not to practice at a driving range or take practice swings, because every cycle of the synthetic and metal parts causes a little wear. He said I should just play like a Sunday duffer and enjoy the fresh air, scenery, and camaraderie. I’m too competitive for that, but I realized that without the benefit of 10,000 swings, which a pro told me were necessary for muscle memory, I probably couldn’t expect to be very good.

I have identified eight most fundamental required elements of the golf swing; a couple, for example, being rotating the hips and following through up, not around. My wife caddies for me (does everything except carry the clubs, which I do) and ticks off the eight elements before every swing. Still, I usually forget one, or more, and often suffer a bad shot. But just as often I pretty much observe them and hit a great shot. On average, the alternating mixture keeps me at bogie level.

I read that Tiger played under hypnosis when he was great. I wondered if through hypnosis the eight factors might be programmed into my subconscious mind, substituting for the benefit of endless repetition for muscle memory. So I decided to give it a try and I have my first hypnosis session scheduled for later today. It will be easy to evaluate results because I am pretty consistent where I am. I’ll report back if anything comes of it.

I had a guy who played on my high school golf team who was really into hypnosis. He claimed he had this issue where he played great in practice but struggled in tournaments. The idea of the hypnosis was to help him feel he was in a practice round while playing in the tournament. 

The conclusion I saw, was it didn't work. He'd go off before the round to do his routine come back right before we tee'd off and play awful. Looking back now it was his swing. It was completely based on timing. But anyways the hypnosis didn't work for that.

I also think in addition to hypnosis you are asking about better golf without practice. I happened upon a book with that exact title about 7-8 years ago at a swap meet and bought it for a nickel. The idea is that you can get better through visualization. I read it, but my imagination is too wild to let me sit and think like Morrison wanted. I tend to start daydreaming, but to a disciplined person it might work. 

https://www.amazon.com/Better-Golf-Without-Practice-Morrison/dp/B000AM9X2Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466705818&sr=1-1&keywords=Better+Golf+Without+Practice

I would be willing to loan this book to you if you would be willing to pay for shipping. I'd have to go look for it, and I moved recently so no guarantee I have it, but if your interested I'll go look. You can read it (probably copy the pages, or take pictures if you like it) and send it back when your done. 

P.S. The pricing for this book on Amazon is unbelievable. This book is in no way worth anything near $150. If anyone is willing to pay me $150 for this book I have beachfront property in Arizona I would like to talk with you about. 

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't have experience with hypnosis but...

I think 8 swing thoughts is too much on the course.  One or two priorities would be better.  And, if you haven't already, take a look at the Five Simple Keys which might simplify what you are trying to do:

2 hours ago, Covert said:

As I have mentioned, I started playing less than three years ago, at 72, compromised with severe osteoarthritis, requiring all four shoulder and hip total replacements. My degenerated discs can’t be replaced.

My shoulder surgeon told me not to practice at a driving range or take practice swings, because every cycle of the synthetic and metal parts causes a little wear. He said I should just play like a Sunday duffer and enjoy the fresh air, scenery, and camaraderie. I’m too competitive for that, but I realized that without the benefit of 10,000 swings, which a pro told me were necessary for muscle memory, I probably couldn’t expect to be very good.

I have identified eight most fundamental required elements of the golf swing; a couple, for example, being rotating the hips and following through up, not around. My wife caddies for me (does everything except carry the clubs, which I do) and ticks off the eight elements before every swing. Still, I usually forget one, or more, and often suffer a bad shot. But just as often I pretty much observe them and hit a great shot. On average, the alternating mixture keeps me at bogie level.

I read that Tiger played under hypnosis when he was great. I wondered if through hypnosis the eight factors might be programmed into my subconscious mind, substituting for the benefit of endless repetition for muscle memory. So I decided to give it a try and I have my first hypnosis session scheduled for later today. It will be easy to evaluate results because I am pretty consistent where I am. I’ll report back if anything comes of it.

IDK, but your nephew and I were on the range a month ago getting a lesson, and I'm sure he wished he could get some form of hypnosis or more beer. :-D

Seriously, though. Once you get to a point where you can truly visualize your swing then you should be able to repeat it in your head many times. The main issue is that the golf swing, or rather the process of learning it is very complicated. The issue is figuring out what to tell the hypnotist to program into your motion. 8 major fundamentals seems a little limited. You might be able to ingrain the 5 Simple Keys so you automatically correct yourself? IDK, it seems too hard.

Seems like you can at least get the "mental" aspect out of the game when you make a bad shot?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I guess, if you are able to convince yourself via hypnosis that golf is not some 'elevated' activity any more than brushing your teeth which triggers anxiety, self doubt, etc., then yes, I don't see the harm in trying. Don't think it does it for everybody but who knows. No harm in trying. Just don't expect a $5 swing turn into a $100 swing.

FWIW, more people benefit from meditation and slow breathing techniques than anything else.   

Vishal S.

6 hours ago, Covert said:

Actually, thinking about this a bit, just getting to an 18HC without practicing on the range at all and possibly not driving that far due to shoulder and hip injuries is a pretty phenomenal feat.

Most 72 year old golfers I know are pretty much 25 or higher handicaps. There only about a dozen or so golfers I know in the 70+ crowd who are below 18.

My 78 year old occasional partner who hits a single spot on every club finally fussed up to being a 10HC :-P, but other than him and a 77 year old doctor friend no one else that age is below 12 and they all played their entire lives. They don't really miss putts and get chips really close.

You're doing really well even without the hypnosis, especially for a beginner! :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

5 hours ago, mchepp said:

P.S. The pricing for this book on Amazon is unbelievable. This book is in no way worth anything near $150.

I looked several places online and even in several local libraries.  $150 to purchase and not available to loan...:mellow:

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

My golf teacher also teaches yoga and is big on kinesiology . .you might be able to find a teacher who specializes in players with limited mobility and can help you . .ie, with slow-motion practice techniques (or whatever you're shoulders/hips will allow) and perhaps to find a golf swing motion that is least damaging. 

Obviously, finding the right teacher would be key.  Good luck! 

8 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

I don't have experience with hypnosis but...

I think 8 swing thoughts is too much on the course.  One or two priorities would be better.  And, if you haven't already, take a look at the Five Simple Keys which might simplify what you are trying to do:

I believe it was none other than Jack Nicklaus who said that if have just one swing thought in your mind when you head out on the course, that's one too many!

10 hours ago, Covert said:

Yes, quite a bit, in terms of self hypnosis. When in college in late 70's, one of my buddies on the golf team, good player who later played the mini tours, was a believer in the value of self-hypnosis, something I was completely unfamiliar with at the time. I still have a copy of the book he used, "How to play better golf using self hypnosis" by Heise. Really good, much more a hypnosis book than a golf book. I played very well with those techniques, didn't get me good enough to get on the golf team, but that wasn't the book's fault. I was 3 or so handicapper back then. That book really opened my eyes.

Another book on this mental side that I remember was Quantum Golf, I remember doing the "superfluid" thing (have to read the book) the last time my handicap was pretty low, back in the early 90's. Not a hypnosis book per se though, although lots of similar techniques, visualizations, etc. Worth reading.

I've never had someone else hypnotize me but I'm a believer in self hypnosis to accomplish the same goals. Some folks think it's quackery, but it may add value to you in other ways than your golf game as well, in terms of pain management and such. I don't think it can substantially replace the value of practice but it will sure help your game and I submit you will be pleased with the results. Good luck!

Edited by MrFlipper
Corrected Heise book title

Steve

10 hours ago, mchepp said:

I also think in addition to hypnosis you are asking about better golf without practice. I happened upon a book with that exact title about 7-8 years ago at a swap meet and bought it for a nickel. The idea is that you can get better through visualization. I read it, but my imagination is too wild to let me sit and think like Morrison wanted. I tend to start daydreaming, but to a disciplined person it might work. 

https://www.amazon.com/Better-Golf-Without-Practice-Morrison/dp/B000AM9X2Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466705818&sr=1-1&keywords=Better+Golf+Without+Practice

I would be willing to loan this book to you if you would be willing to pay for shipping. I'd have to go look for it, and I moved recently so no guarantee I have it, but if your interested I'll go look. You can read it (probably copy the pages, or take pictures if you like it) and send it back when your done.

4 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I looked several places online and even in several local libraries.  $150 to purchase and not available to loan...:mellow:

https://3fbed11dd0e47faec5d652d8f3e654c958a6ffdc.googledrive.com/host/0B8DYC22TfQptVjFaVGRTeDFHN1E/hasil_23/B000AM9X2Y-Better-Golf-Without-Practice-Morrison.pdf

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

15 hours ago, mchepp said:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=267&type=2&ext=222160632785&item=222160632785

Thank you very much for your kind offer. It looks intriguing, and I might take you up on it after a little more investigation into the whole genre. If I do, I will gladly pay shipping, and I would also send you a check for $150 which you could rip up when you get the book back, or cash if I turned out to be like so many people who "borrow" things. But I would return the book.

9 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

My golf teacher also teaches yoga and is big on kinesiology . .you might be able to find a teacher who specializes in players with limited mobility and can help you . .ie, with slow-motion practice techniques (or whatever you're shoulders/hips will allow) and perhaps to find a golf swing motion that is least damaging. 

Obviously, finding the right teacher would be key.  Good luck! 

Thanks, Rainmaker. My artificial joints are actually an advantage, and part of the reason I took up golf after I got them implanted. While I don't have much of a backswing (only about at 8 o'clock), the artificial shoulders work as smoothly as ball bearings. To make up for the limited arc, I train with a torso twist machine to strengthen my side muscles, and I also perform other core exercises, such as dead weight lifts, planks, and sit-ups, so that I have quite a snap at contact, and distance is not a problem. I take advantage of the senior tees, and the only greens I often can't reach in regulation are on the extra long par-four holes, of 450 or more yards. 

I did take a number of lessons getting started, from several pros; and one in St. Lucie, Florida introduced me to the square-to-square method for my bad back, and it works very well for me. I then took lessons for the various components, such chipping, putting, and getting out of sand traps, and now feel that I know the techniques well enough, if I can just remember to execute them properly.

I signed up for three hypnosis sessions, at more than $400. It’s not cheap. It will be easy to assess the results because I’ve plateaued. I will look into the various visualization techniques, and I thank those who gave me tips on specific ones to try.

As far as eight factors being too many to think about at address, I know it’s impossible to remember them simultaneously. But having them close to mind permits me, when I make a bad shot, to know immediately which one I didn’t ply so that I can make sure I do in the next swing. Eventually the elements should become more automatic, even if I can’t program them into my subconscious mind. Incidentally, my hypnotist says she can do it. We’ll see, and I’ll report back.

The will-o’-the-wisp siren is the thing that all golfers catch, the occasional flawless hole allowing him or her to feel, “What if I just always do it like that?” Aside from bad luck, such as the ball bouncing sideways off of a hillock in front of the green, every time I make a poor shot, I know what I did wrong; like, for example, hitting near the hosel and shanking, because I made a point of finishing the swing up rather than around and therefore pushed the blade a little forward during the swing. So the next time I just make it a point to feel like I am hitting the ball more toward the toe of the club. But then thinking about that, I might not rotate my hips through enough before dropping my arms and thus chunk a little. Or I didn’t keep my eyes behind the ball until after contact, and the ball pushes right, etcetera, etcetera.

While I shouldn’t, and don’t, unless I have a recurring problem while playing, practice driving or irons at a range, I do practice putting, chipping, and short pitches, where most of the score is made. Chipping distance is the hobgoblin which requires a lot of practice to master, and that doesn’t tax the shoulders.     

All I know is that in order to hypnotized you have to be susceptible to it. I believe it is more like assisted meditation. I think you are wasting money but as I have found in working with people, someone says gets help from it somewhere. You might be that special someone....if  you want it bad enough.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

6 hours ago, Covert said:

Thank you very much for your kind offer. It looks intriguing, and I might take you up on it after a little more investigation into the whole genre. If I do, I will gladly pay shipping, and I would also send you a check for $150 which you could rip up when you get the book back, or cash if I turned out to be like so many people who "borrow" things. But I would return the book.

Yeah, no problem. Send me a PM when/if you want it. I'll go look for it tonight on my book shelf. I am 90% sure I have it.

Michael

One of my wife's close friends is amedical doctor, "MD" who is a psychiatrist. (not a psycologist) From time to time he has joined our little golfing group.

Last night just by chance we ran into him and his wife at a local eatery. After reading some of this thread earlier, I asked him. His answer was both "yes & no". It depends on the individual, and what they want, and don't want to do. 

He gave me an example. A large percentage of his patients are those who come to him to quit smoking. He says he has a 50/50 success rate. 50% actually want to quit smoking, the other 50%, for what ever reason, don't want to. 

As for hypnotherapy for golf, that is "iffy" at best. He can plant good golf thoughts in one's subconscious, but the golfer has to have the physical/mental abilities to use those good thoughts.  He said that hypnosis in layman terms, is just planting ideas, for mental reenforcement. . 

So I then asked him if he, through therapy, and my desire to be the best golfer I could be, could he get me on the Champions Tour? He said no. Maybe he could save me a stroke, maybe even 2. He has seen my golf game. 

He then handed me the dinner check.:~(

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

37 minutes ago, Patch said:

One of my wife's close friends is amedical doctor, "MD" who is a psychiatrist. (not a psycologist) From time to time he has joined our little golfing group.

Last night just by chance we ran into him and his wife at a local eatery. After reading some of this thread earlier, I asked him. His answer was both "yes & no". It depends on the individual, and what they want, and don't want to do. 

He gave me an example. A large percentage of his patients are those who come to him to quit smoking. He says he has a 50/50 success rate. 50% actually want to quit smoking, the other 50%, for what ever reason, don't want to. 

As for hypnotherapy for golf, that is "iffy" at best. He can plant good golf thoughts in one's subconscious, but the golfer has to have the physical/mental abilities to use those good thoughts.  He said that hypnosis in layman terms, is just planting ideas, for mental reenforcement. . 

So I then asked him if he, through therapy, and my desire to be the best golfer I could be, could he get me on the Champions Tour? He said no. Maybe he could save me a stroke, maybe even 2. He has seen my golf game. 

$400 is a lot to throw at something that could only save you 2 strokes. That's saving you something like two putts or something like that. :-D

37 minutes ago, Patch said:

He then handed me the dinner check.:~(

No pro-bono for you. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!