IGNORED

2016 British Open at Royal Troon Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 2827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Normally (even for a major) Stenson or Mickelson will take it, but the weather can change things up quickly. Of course, if they are dropping shots left and right because of the weather, chances are good the ones behind also will.

Interesting setup for the last round, though I'd rather see more people in contention.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would like to see Phil pull it out tomorrow. IMO with the career he's had he deserves more majors than 5, so I would like to see him win this to bolster his legacy even more. 

Even though history might say otherwise, I don't think Stenson is going to choke. I think Phil is going to have to go out and win it.

2 hours ago, mtsalmela80 said:

You just never know, someone could go low tomorrow and get right in the mix

It's the British Open... IIRC there have been comebacks (or at least one) from a double-digit deficit in the past.  Tomorrow will be fun, it only remains to be seen how. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, skydog said:

I would like to see Phil pull it out tomorrow. IMO with the career he's had he deserves more majors than 5, so I would like to see him win this to bolster his legacy even more. 

Even though history might say otherwise, I don't think Stenson is going to choke. I think Phil is going to have to go out and win it.

I agree, I'd like to see him win tomorrow and maybe 1 more so his career really stands out.  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
6 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Impact shot: 4K video from directly behind. Stop at impact. Screenshot. Save to file. Simple. No clicking needed.

That's still only 4096 x 2160. I have a camera a few years old that shoots 25… Never mind that 4K is only going to be in 25 to 60 FPS. You can easily miss impact.

The real solution? Don't try to capture impact unless you're far enough away with a big enough piece of glass.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I agree, I'd like to see him win tomorrow and maybe 1 more so his career really stands out.  

Five majors (more than, like, a dozen guys ever) ALREADY doesn't stand out??

Forget that, I'm hoping for Stenson to get his first.  Let's really give the "best player without a major" list a beating this year.

23 minutes ago, Broke100Once said:

There are plenty more than a dozen guys who have won fewer than five majors in history. :-)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

39 minutes ago, Broke100Once said:

Forget that, I'm hoping for Stenson to get his first.  Let's really give the "best player without a major" list a beating this year.

He's currently T14 all-time with 5 Majors.  6 Majors makes him T12 all-time, 7 Majors gets him T7 all-time.   Phil deserves to be in the Top 10.  If #7 is the US Open he gets his career Grand Slam too.  

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, newtogolf said:

He's currently T14 all-time with 5 Majors.  6 Majors makes him T12 all-time, 7 Majors gets him T7 all-time.   Phil deserves to be in the Top 10.  If #7 is the US Open he gets his career Grand Slam too.  

I would argue that Stenson deserves a major more than Phil deserves to be top 10, but I can see both sides, particularly with the number of PGA Tour wins Phil's racked up. Then again, all I want every year is that we lose a few more players from the 'best never to have won a major' list.

Pretty obvious, but my hopes are firmly on Stenson to do it, but even if he goes -3 for the day, the one person you wouldn't want him up against is Phil. Yesterday showed Lefty at his best - it was basically match play and every time you thought he was out of it, he came right back with a ridiculous shot. Great to watch.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• Administrator

I'm pulling for Phil today. I don't think anyone catches them, though, so I think it's either Phil or Henrik.

Most likely. I got hundred to one odds and took it though. So I'll finish positive for the week regardless. How positive remains to be seen.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I thought it was clubs as in the type you swing. 

image.jpeg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Kutch! Yikes! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I'm pulling for Phil today. I don't think anyone catches them, though, so I think it's either Phil or Henrik.

Most likely. I got hundred to one odds and took it though. So I'll finish positive for the week regardless. How positive remains to be seen.

The only reason I would hope for anyone other than Phil or Henrik to win is that some YouTube pros drew numbers to predict a winner, and they couldn't hide their disappointment when Bill Haas' number was pulled out of the bag.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Well already it looks like Phil is gonna win thin just with how the nerves are shown.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Lefty!

Gonna be a fun round to watch today, regardless of who wins.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!