IGNORED

JDay, DJ, Others Pull out of Olympics, Rickie, Others Still Going

ZappyAd
Note: This thread is 2803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Braivo said:

I agree, I just threw Athens out there as an uninformed suggestion. Many quality places that could host it for a long time. 

A few basketball players have pulled out, buy I'm not sure they cited zika. It is very different for most of the other smaller sports as those athletes rely heavily on the Olympics to make a living, it is their main event. It's not so easy for a swimmer or kayaker to pull out. 

Correct. Very many of these particular sports folks consider winning an Olympic medal as the epitome of their career. Even above their respective sport "World Championships'.. etc.  Also, many of them go on to have lucrative after careers launched by an Olympic Gold. So I think there is some serious financial motivation as well. They are more apt to take what perceive as risks. They will take their mandatory abstinence sentence for 6 weeks. "No soup for you.."..:-D

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, Braivo said:

A few basketball players have pulled out, buy I'm not sure they cited zika. It is very different for most of the other smaller sports as those athletes rely heavily on the Olympics to make a living, it is their main event. It's not so easy for a swimmer or kayaker to pull out. 

Agree with the smaller sports. The Olympics are their "Major Championship". And that's kinda my point. This isn't a major. It's not a WGC. For a lot of these guys, the Ryder Cup and Fed Ex Cup are probably higher up on their wish list of things to win. And with the schedule of big events surrounding Rio, it complicates things even more.  I think if the PGA and R&A came out and said "We're going to count the Olympics as a major championship in the record books and move the PGA Championship back until September", my guess is Jason Day, Rory McIlroy and Adam Scott would find a way to make the trip to Rio.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Upvote 2

These guys not participating isn't surprising at all. Just look at baseball. Very few (if any) pros go to the Olympics. It's right in the middle of their season. Golf is no different. I think Hockey might follow the same suit, but I'm not certain about that. On a personal level, Golf just feels weird in the olympics. I'd probably still watch whatever PGA event was on instead.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone remember the "Dream Team" USA basketball squad from the 92' Olympics? It was like a Harlem Globe Trotters game every night.

My gut tells me no Zika and no Brazil BS and the rich pro athletes would be there but they certainly don't have the same motivation as a swimmer that's spent a lifetime training for just the Olympics.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

I know i'm in the minority, but I just feel like time has passed the Olympics. They have lost all integrity they had left with all the cheating. Golf just doesn't feel right in the Olympics and the committee could not have picked a worse venue given all the obvious red flags. Golf might be a one and done in the Olympics with all these stars backing out and the fact its right in the middle of their season. Also, the fact that you have virtually 1 tourney in between the US Open and The Open, and then the PGA Championship on the other end, kinda adds a lackluster feel to this PGA tour season. It feels like we have a major every week; just sad.

• Upvote 2

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

• Administrator
1 hour ago, atb5079 said:

I know i'm in the minority, but I just feel like time has passed the Olympics.

I don't watch them much the past decade or so. I watched a ton as a kid.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They can make it the most interesting co-ed format with amateurs although is an amateur really an "amateur" nowadays, it just doesn't seem like the Olympics, golf as an event, no matter how you jury-rig it.  Bring back chariot racing!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

They can make it the most interesting co-ed format with amateurs although is an amateur really an "amateur" nowadays, it just doesn't seem like the Olympics, golf as an event, no matter how you jury-rig it.  Bring back chariot racing!

As much as they are critiqued maybe the NFL could teach the Olympics people something. The facility has to be first class and ready to go or you do not get a Super Bowl. 

Maybe they should give up on this open bidding process that lets any open land in any 3rd world country become the next site.

• Upvote 1

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I watched the interview on golf Chanel this morning.  I can't blame him.  I wouldn't risk my family or my health for a golf tournament.  I get it would be cool to be the first one from your country to play in the olympics but if I was a pro and got the chance to go I wouldn't.  

I herd Rory and another Irishmen said they were dropping out also.  

16 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Definitely not Athens. They broke attendance lows when the Olympics were held there in '04. Beijing did a great job in '08 with the Olympics.

LA is one of the few summer Olympic venues that made money. Most of the others lose money. Beijing smog is awful.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, atb5079 said:

I know i'm in the minority, but I just feel like time has passed the Olympics.

I felt like that when they removed the amateur status requirement.

Some comments from Spieth and Watson: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/will-gray/spieths-uncertainty-further-clouds-golfs-olympic-return

• Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

On 6/28/2016 at 10:34 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

I waiting for somebody to say "i just don't want to play in that bullshit" 

Those lulz are going to be glorious. 

Honestly, that's how I'd put it.

On 6/28/2016 at 11:52 AM, ChrisP said:

I disagree. I don't think there's a lot of motivation to go....period. And the Zika Virus is the tipping point for these guys and a reason they can use to back out. You won't hear them say "I don't have the motivation to go" but I think there's a lot of guys who just don't want to go simply because there are so many other big events surrounding the Olympics that they need to focus on.

Yeah, pretty much. It's not like they're Usain Bolt and this is the pinnacle of their career.

Colin P.

I don't really buy the virus as an excuse. From all I have read It only stays in the body a short while, the threat to a fetus is not permanent and oddly enough all the female golfers are still clamoring to qualify!

59 minutes ago, Mozgolf said:

I don't really buy the virus as an excuse. From all I have read It only stays in the body a short while, the threat to a fetus is not permanent and oddly enough all the female golfers are still clamoring to qualify!

Not all, one female has already pulled out:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/first-female-golfer-withdraws-from-olympics-citing-zika/ar-AAhMgbA

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

There is still a lot of time for people to drop out.  I think many are waiting to see what the overall sentiment is for these Olympics in general.  I heard today that police officers are being shot in record numbers.  Police officers, ambulance workers and fireman haven't been paid for 6 months in Rio due to the Olympics cost overruns.  

Police that are interviewed are saying there's no way they can ensure the athletes safety given they can't protect themselves.  Also at one of the beaches, body parts washed ashore where the beach volleyball is supposed to be played.  

At some point this has to be evaluated on a national basis and countries really need to decide if they are going to send teams there to compete.  While there were some concerns about Russia and China, it really seems like there are just too many risks with sending our people and fans to Rio.  

Joe Paradiso

11 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Still it is not even close, and it could be argued that the women have a greater risk than the men. Only one women who was on the outskirts of qualifying has dropped out all the rest seem very excited by the prospect of representing their country. 

Personally I think the guys who didn't play especially like Jason Day who seems conflicted to begin with, are going to really feel they missed out when the opening ceremony starts and then they are giving golfers medals. This won't happen again for 4 years and who knows if they'll get another chance, so I'll bet he'll regret it.

Michael

2 minutes ago, mchepp said:

Still it is not even close, and it could be argued that the women have a greater risk than the men. Only one women who was on the outskirts of qualifying has dropped out all the rest seem very excited by the prospect of representing their country. 

Personally I think the guys who didn't play especially like Jason Day who seems conflicted to begin with, are going to really feel they missed out when the opening ceremony starts and then they are giving golfers medals. This won't happen again for 4 years and who knows if they'll get another chance, so I'll bet he'll regret it.

The LPGA needs exposure and they're hoping they get some prime time coverage to promote their brand, the men don't need it.   

I partially agree that some who back out will wish they were there for Opening ceremony and medal presentations but if anything really bad happens that regret will be replaced quickly with relief.  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
1 minute ago, newtogolf said:

The LPGA needs exposure and they're hoping they get some prime time coverage to promote their brand, the men don't need it.   

Yeah. You can't compare men and women. That's comparing (Adam's) Apples to… uhhh, melons.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!