IGNORED

Arccos shot tracking review

Note: This thread is 2803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For Father's day my wife bought me the Arccos ( www.arccosgolf.com ) shot tracking system. It contains 13 little 'knobs' you put in the grip of your clubs along with a special putter 'knob'. The goal is to track all my shots on the course to figure out what I can work on to lower my scores. Plus, I am a tech and stats geek so I figured itwould be fun.

The premise of the system is that the little knob sensor detects a swing, sends a little message to your cellphone (which you carry in your pocket or in a holster on your belt). Your cellphone then uses its own GPS to figure out where the shot was taken. Each little knob is configured for the specific club which lets it show you where and what club was used.

Setting everything up was dead simple. The packaging is excellent. Syncing the sensors to the cellphone app (I have a Nexus 6p) was dead simple. You first install all the little knob sensors in every club by turning them the hole at the end of your grip. Then you fire up the application on your phone and it prompts you to press the button (each knob is actually a little button!) on the club specified. All told, it took about 10 minutes. Very slick setup!

Off to the course I go! I have played two sets of 27 holes using the system. Due to a young child, I don't have 6 hours to play a round of golf, so instead I play a relatively short course (Merry Hill) near Kitchener Waterloo. It is a very short course that is in very good condition. Playing by myself, I can play 9 holes in about 30 minutes. I play on Mondays in the Men's day. I first play the 9 holes that don't count for men's day as my 'warmup' seeing there is no range. Then I play 18 holes for men's day. I use the Arccos system to track all of my holes played.

Standing on the first tee of the white course like a small child excited for Christmas I fire up the Arccos app. I don't really pay much attention and click 'Start Round'. I hit my 54 degree wedge to just short of the green. It correctly detects that I hit said club. Away I go! I get to the green and chip with my 54 degree wedge. Again, it gets the right club. Awesome! I then two putt for a bogey :( Not so awesome. Oh well. Bad golf is better than no golf right!?!?

I get to the second tee and decide to have a quick look at what the app has done. It only tracked one putt. But there is a convenient 'putts' tag with a + and - sign. I click the + sign. It now says 2 putts. However, it appears I have hit my 54 degree wedge 160 yards. That is odd. I poke around a bit and it seems to have moved my tee shot to the tee box for the red nine. Odd. I click the 'Edit' button and try to move the tee shot to the proper tee box to no avail. It doesn't seem to let me scroll the map over there :( Booo!

OK. Perhaps I don't know how to use this thing. Let's continue on with the second hole. I look at the screen and much to my dismay the hole I am playing is not the hole I am on. I eventually move the map around and find the hole I am actually on. I click play hole. It moves me back to #2 on the red tee. After 5 minutes of messing around, I angrily close the app to try and start from fresh. I open the app and it tries to continue on from where I was. Frustration growing, I then use logic and decide this is a good feature. If I accidently close the app I don't want to lose the round. I decide this must all be user error and choose to 'end round' and start again. I can add the first hole online later.

As I stand on the second tee, I end the previous round and go to start a new round. I then notice that it had selected 'red - white' as the 18 holes to play. Ahah! That is my problem! So I decide I will just select white as that is the 9 I am playing. Oh oh :( I can only choose to play one of the 18 hole combinations. Three nine hole courses gives me 6 different combinations for 18 holes. I think to myself 'why can't it just figure out what holes I am playing based on the tee box I am on'. Oh well. I pick 'white - blue' and move on. I then notice it has a 'play hole' button on the bottom. I click it. It detects that I am on the second hole of the white course. Bingo!

I hit my hybrid. It flies beautifully through the air into the wind and just through the fairway. Off I go again! Correctly detected hybrid. I arrive at my ball, pull my 58 degree wedge for my 82 yard shot (lasered to the pin). I hit it right at the flag, landing just short of the pin. On the big slope :( With the backspin of a tour players proV1, the ball comes backwards off the green. I pull up the app to see if it got my tee shot correct. 187 yards. That seems about right given the gail force wind I was hitting into. I verify my wedge shot. Laser said 82. I had a 20ish footer. Arccos said 74.  That's 'close enough' for me :)

I roll up to the green and elect to putt from the fringe. A rough guess is 20 feet. As is typical, I leave it 5 feet short. And, as is typical as well, I manage to hit the 5 foot putt for par. So much stress for what should be a simple par. I make a note that my lag putting is still outrageously terrible.

Surprisingly after the very frustrating start, the Arccos system works very well for the rest of the nine holes. I make a few bogeys and a  triple. Oh well, just a warm up nine so I am not too concerned. Besides, golf is fun, right?

I arrive at the clubhouse to meet up with my playing partners for men's day. We are playing the Red-Blue course this monday. I hit my first tee shot for men's day: a 6 iron into the hurricane. I drop it to about 8 feet. BAM! I drain the birdie putt. What a start! I pull up the app on the next tee. Apparently I took my tee shot from about 10 yards left of the tee box and landed 10 yards left of the green. But it did figure out I took only one putt. Oh well, I can fix that later. The rest of the red nine goes off largely without a hitch. I card a +3.

We roll up to the tee box for the blue nine. The Arccos system correctly figures this out and away we go. It works fairly good, apart from the odd extra putt it adds in. These are easy enough to fix though by using the + or - buttons after the hole.

After carding a +3 on the blue nine we grab a quick beer. I then speed home so I can open up the laptop and have a look at my round. Hmm, few odd things here and there so I decide I will quickly fix them. Weird, I can't seem to modify the round in my browser. Must be user error I think. An hour later I give up. I send a tweet to Arccos and ask if I can edit in a browser instead of the phone app. The response comes back: No, you can't. 

The next men's day is much the same. Fight with the app on the first hole or two to convince it which nine holes I am playing. Attempt to correct some odd mistakes here and there. Grow frustrated but then get excited with the information it is providing me. This week though I shoot +4, again leaning heavily on hitting 5 footers for par. Such a stressful game.

After playing 3 18 hole rounds (27 holes per day for 2 days) I can now look at some of the stats. This is where the system is fairly interesting :)

I know I am a terrible putter and a terrible driver of the ball. Given I play 1 day a week, my chipping I suspect is poor. Back when I used to be good I would spend a tonne of time practicing chips and putts to bring that part of the game up from outrageously bad to just bad. Let's see if this app agrees with my gut feel.

Handicap Breakdown:
driving: 19.2
approach: +1.6
chipping: 8
putting: 17.6

Yep, that is about what I expected :)

Looking at specific rounds it is even more interesting. I randomly select a 9 hole round where I shot +2.

driving: 9.6
approach: +10.0
chipping: 6.3
putting: 24.2

Plus ten!??! Surely something is wrong. Looking on the website provides me with no information as to why it thinks I am a +10 for approach shots. So, instead of working this morning, I pull out the app on my phone. Odd. All the phone app has for yesterday is a round of -3 (bizarre) and two rounds where I took one shot. 

Here is a screenshot on my phone:

Screenshot_20160628-090847.png

and here is a screenshot in my web browser:

web.png

Pretty bizarre isn't it?

I think I have deduced that it thinks I am a +10 iron player because I always hit it to 8 feet from the hole. Clearly I have not :) I would love to fix this, but I think I am spent :( I can't remember pin positions from two weeks ago. I could go through and fix last rounds putts, but doing it on the phone app is cumbersome :(

Conclusion:

I give Arccos a failing grade. It has huge potential, but the execution is poor. Having been doing software development for 18 years it feels like the system is in an early alpha stage (they note it is in 'beta' on the web site). Maybe they would be willing to let me sign an NDA and give me access to their source tree so I can help out fixing/adding features? :)

The sensors themselves seem to detect the shots played perfectly with the exact club I used.

The phone app though is very difficult and non-intuitive. It also seems to crash once or twice a round.

The web app doesn't have much of the functionality that I feel it should. Who wants to edit rounds on their smartphone? Not me when I can use my laptop. I don't have the ability to mark shots as 'chip out of the trees'. For example, I have taken 6 shots with my 4 iron. Two of those were actually tee shots (200 yards and 176 yards). The rest were shots out of the trees (106 yards, 107 yards, 90 yards, and 110 yards).

The page that shows me my clubs isn't very informative. It simply shows me how many shots I gave taken with each club. Not that useful.

6iron.png

However, clicking on a club takes me to a page with very useful data. I can see all the shots I have taken, what hole they were on, how long they were. It also gives me a summary of information for when I hit it off the tee and on approaches to the green. This
page alone is almost enough to keep me interested in the system. Almost :(

6iron.png

The phone app and web app don't seem to be in synch. The information is different. After looking at my round on the web, then making corrections on my phone, then looking at my round on the web again I noted that none of the corrections had been applied. Not really sure what the point of correcting on my phone is :(

The accuracy is a little bit off. After some research I have learned this is not the fault of the Arccos system. The GPS system in cellphones (in fact, all 'consumer' grade GPS) really only has accuracies of 7 yards. Honestly, this would be ok if it was trivial to tweak my shots post round. Sadly, I find this challenging.

Lastly, I find the little sensor knobs to interfere with my setup. I didn't realize, but I must somehow use the end of my grip when I place my hands on the clubs to find where I am holding them. I now have to double check that I am not holding the club slightly beyond the end of the grub and a little bit on the sensor. I realize this is largely my own issue and not the issue of the sensor, but it is a minor grievance nonetheless.

Will I keep it?

I won't be keeping it and instead will be returning it for the money back guarantee. If I could edit my rounds in a web browser I would keep it. This missing feature makes the system nearly useless to me. I love the potential of the system but, IMO, it just isn't ready for prime time yet.

Competitors?

Does anyone know of any systems similar to this that may have better post round editing features? What are the stats of those systems like? I think I will likely give GameGolf a try, but am curious if there are other up and comers in this area.

A comment on other online reviews

Sadly, I trusted a few other reviews I read on the internet regarding this system. I have since decided that those reviews must have been paid for or something. Actually using this system is frustrating. None of the reviews I saw online extolled any of this frustration. They were all pink unicorns and rainbows. I find THAT even MORE frustrating :(

clubs.png

• Upvote 2

Ian

• Administrator
3 hours ago, IanW said:

Competitors?

Does anyone know of any systems similar to this that may have better post round editing features? What are the stats of those systems like? I think I will likely give GameGolf a try, but am curious if there are other up and comers in this area.

For many reasons, a lot of people here at The Sand Trap have taken to the @GAME Golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

For many reasons, a lot of people here at The Sand Trap have taken to the @GAME Golf.

I have spent about 10 minutes with it over lunch. Apart from having a hard time adding an actual shot to a round without being at the course on the phone app I am finding the user interface to be very nice. I will try to move my Arccos rounds into GameGolf this evening.

Cheers

Ian

Ian

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, IanW said:

I have spent about 10 minutes with it over lunch. Apart from having a hard time adding an actual shot to a round without being at the course on the phone app I am finding the user interface to be very nice. I will try to move my Arccos rounds into GameGolf this evening.

Yeah, it's not the easiest to "fake" things - i.e. start a round when you're not at the course. But you can pretty easily edit post-round (especially on a computer), and do all sorts of other things.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have both GameGolf and Arccos. My personal preference is Arccos because it takes the "tagging" out of my hands. 

I have not had many of the issues you have, but have no problem believing them. 

I have actually thought of dropping the whole thing and just going back to the scorecard to track things!

The OP almost reads like it could have been written by a Game Golf marketing employee.

No mention of manuals / instructions or discussion of interaction with customer support to address the issues described finished off by a neat, "maybe I'll try Game Golf instead" and "the competitor's product seems much easier to use with only one small drawback".

Suspicious / too convenient given the OP post count IMO. I have a hard time thinking the systems are essentially much different. Of course individual mileage will vary. Personally, I would expect a bit more 'college try' from a dad testing out the Father's Day gift from the family. I'm sure GameGolf is a fine product, but I have a hard time imagining ArcCos is the garbage described in the OP.

Because there is so little on this site about ArcCos vs. GameGolf I think it's fair to post some possibly more balanced links / reviews about the product that is the topic of this thread (not how GameGolf is better than ArcCos, right?) for anyone who comes here looking for some serious / objective information.

http://breakingeighty.com/game-golf-vs-arccos-golf

http://www.mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-shot-tracking-devices-2015/

Kevin

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, natureboy said:

The OP almost reads like it could have been written by a Game Golf marketing employee.

What planning! Joined in 2012 just to wait to post this over four years later!

10 minutes ago, natureboy said:

No mention of manuals / instructions or discussion of interaction with customer support to address the issues described finished off by a neat, "maybe I'll try Game Golf instead" and "the competitor's product seems much easier to use with only one small drawback".

Suspicious / too convenient given the OP post count IMO. I have a hard time thinking the systems are essentially much different. Of course individual mileage will vary. Personally, I would expect a bit more 'college try' from a dad testing out the Father's Day gift from the family. I'm sure GameGolf is a fine product, but I have a hard time imagining ArcCos is the garbage described in the OP.

Because there is so little on this site about ArcCos vs. GameGolf I think it's fair to post some possibly more balanced links / reviews about the product that is the topic of this thread (not how GameGolf is better than ArcCos, right?) for anyone who comes here looking for some serious / objective information.

http://breakingeighty.com/game-golf-vs-arccos-golf

http://www.mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-shot-tracking-devices-2015/

Looking at my post I can see how one would think that I may be a GameGolf employee. I apologize for that and assure you that I am not. As a software developer myself though, I feel I could contribute immensely to both companies ;) I mentioned GameGolf more to let people know that I know about it and to therefore suggest other options. I realize I wasn't clear about that. My bad.

Unfortunately, the breakingeighty.com and the mygolfspy.com are two of the reviews I read when I suggested my wife purchase me the Arccos. Sadly I have learned those those two reviews are, in my opinion, the non-objective ones :(  

As to the old college try I, unfortunately, have limited time to try out the Arccos. They have a 30 day money back guarantee. I have a week left on that. This weekend I will be playing a different course so will try the system out there as well. I will update after that, but sadly the system currently doesn't work great for the course I will play most of my golf at.

Lastly, the manuals, instructions, and interaction with customer support. I likely should have covered this more closely in my writeup. If the community here thinks it is valuable, I can edit the above to include this.

The manual is short and sweet which is ideal. How to install the sensors and how to get the app. IMO, this is perfect. That is all a manual should be. I actually tried searching (using google if you care) for some of the issues I had. This turned up nothing material. 

As a google search is generally the easiest way to find a quick answer to a problem and it was fruitless, I turned to the support website located here: http://arccos.support.arccosgolf.com/

I read both the troubleshooting and FAQs for for the 14 piece set as well as watched a few of the videos. Note: I did not read any information on the Driver product. Perhaps a shortcoming on my part, but none the less, factual. I actually got a few good tips from both sets of web pages. I learned a few tips that helped, such as the video on carrying the clubs upside down. I believe this was contributing to 'extra putts' and after watching the video I reduced the number of those. That said, it is pretty simple to just hit the - for putts and be done. Not really a game changer. 

I did in fact contact the company prior to deciding not to keep the product. This was the single biggest reason I am not keeping it. I asked (via twitter) if I can modify my round in the web based UI rather than in the phone app. I got a very prompt and polite response from them stating that at this time I can only edit through the application.  

I do plan on reviewing the GameGolf setup once I have given it an equal shake as compared to the Arccos (3 rounds of golf and some time digesting the stats and such). Unfortunately for GameGolf though, I will not be purchasing the tags but instead simply evaluating it using the application on the phone and the website UI. This may put it at a disadvantage. Or maybe an advantage. I actually don't know. I do know that after about an hour of playing with GameGolf I do indeed have some major gripes. I will save those for a more thorough review thread.

Again, I apologize for my review coming off as marketing. My intention was to perform the review as a story with a bit of wit and humour thrown in. 

Ian

Ian

Oh, a lurker. That also seems a tiny bit convenient, but apologies @IanW if that's your deal.

I'm actually interested in comparisons between these products, because I might get one down the road. Have to say I would give your experience more weight if you had been a regular / established poster rather than this your first post.

I suspect much of your on-course issues derived from 'losing sync' between the tags and the phone app. I am kind of surprised that you didn't insist on getting a live person support interaction before deciding to ditch it. I doubt their public Twitter account is their preferred outlet for individual support.

But welcome to the site anyway. Why not get involved a bit more now that you've broken the ice?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

What planning! Joined in 2012 just to wait to post this over four years later!

Hehe. I have always been a bit of a lurker. After a year off golf I am getting back into it this year. I decided to post for the first time after years of mooching off all the great information here :)

Ian

2 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Oh, a lurker. That also seems a tiny bit convenient, but apologies @IanW if that's your deal.

I'm actually interested in comparisons between these products, because I might get one down the road. Have to say I would give your experience more weight if you had been a regular / established poster rather than this your first post.

But welcome to the site anyway. Why not get involved a bit more now that you've broken the ice.

I can understand that my experience would have more weight if I posted more regularly. I am hoping to do so in the future.

I would be willing to try anything out, take any pictures, screenshots, etc... of the Arccos system now that I have it for a few more days. If there is anything specifically you would like to see about it, I will do my best to provide it. Please do just let me know.

Ian

Ian

45 minutes ago, natureboy said:

LOL. GAME GOLF isn't Warrior Golf, they don't need to plant fake reviews of competitor products. Especially considering they're a partner here.

11 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I'm actually interested in comparisons between these products, because I might get one down the road.

It's kind of obvious why there aren't many direct comparisons of the two products, isn't it? You don't need both so most people who buy one won't go out of their way to buy the other.

@mchepp wrote a staff review of Arccos Golf earlier this year:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/accessories/arccos_golf_review

FWIW, I bought a Game Golf back when they only had the classic version rather than the Arccos because Arccos was more expensive and it wasn't Android supported at the time.

If you want to buy one and ship it my way, I'll gladly write a comparison review for you ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 minutes ago, IanW said:

I would be willing to try anything out, take any pictures, screenshots, etc... of the Arccos system now that I have it for a few more days. If there is anything specifically you would like to see about it, I will do my best to provide it. Please do just let me know.

I've read that ArcCos is a bit more accurate. Do you know the features / technology that would make this so (when they both have civilian GPS signal)?

As far as those articles leading you down a bad path, personally I'd still rate them as two positive experiences to your one bad experience. I found @dzclarkcpa's comment more balanced in that they were 'about the same' with the manual scorecard maybe being simpler in the end than either system. LOL.

Kevin

1 minute ago, natureboy said:

I found @dzclarkcpa's comment more balanced in that they were 'about the same' with the manual scorecard maybe being simpler in the end than either system. LOL.

That's obviously not the main function of either product. If all you need is a product to help keep score, you can get one of those people counters and just click it every time you take a stroke :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

14 minutes ago, billchao said:

If you want to buy one and ship it my way, I'll gladly write a comparison review for you ;-)

Hah, I buy, I keep. Mine. Hands off. :-P

The review is bit more of a comparison to Game Golf than I'd expect, but is pretty fair about highlighting strong points versus drawbacks. I would personally find the lack of editing rounds on my PC a frustrating feature.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

13 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I suspect much of your on-course issues derived from 'losing sync' between the tags and the phone app. I am kind of surprised that you didn't insist on getting a live person support interaction before deciding to ditch it. I doubt their public Twitter account is their preferred outlet for individual support.

But welcome to the site anyway. Why not get involved a bit more now that you've broken the ice?

I see you changed this post after I had responded to it. Not sure if that was an attempt to slip one past me or an honest mistake :)

If in fact the tags were losing sync with my phone then I would actually be even more concerned because it implies a problem with the tags themselves (or, I would guess, my phone). I actually know a fair bit about this type of hardware and the protocols used therein. The phone was always in my pocket. The company actually specifies (somewhere on their website when I was reading) that the tags 'turn off' when the clubs are upside down. Given that, and the fact that the bluetooth range between the phone (in my pocket) and the club I am holding (in my hand) should be well within reasonable limits even given the light cloth outer pant and the inner pocket liner being an interfering agent between the two items attempting to communicate, I would expect no communication issues. If there are, then the product has larger problems. That said, I don't think this to be the case. I believe the hardware is solid. 

Further, I used a fitbit for a few months under almost exactly the same circumstances with the same phone (always in my pocket) with no issues.

As to the method of contacting them (twitter) this is pretty typical in the high tech world. Especially those companies based in the Silicon Valley area (as Arccos is). If they don't want people contacting them via twitter, then they shouldn't have a twitter account :)

I will concede that I didn't speak with a human at precisely the point at which I had a problem. Therefore, just for you, I will go out of my way to arrive at the course earlier than I typically would (the phone lines are only open until 5pm EST) to phone them on Monday during my round if I continue to have the same issues when standing on the first tee. I will also ask the representative if they support editing on the website rather than the phone application in the event that the person monitoring the twitter account had incorrect information.

Ian

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

LOL. GAME GOLF isn't Warrior Golf, they don't need to plant fake reviews of competitor products. Especially considering they're a partner here.

It's kind of obvious why there aren't many direct comparisons of the two products, isn't it? You don't need both so most people who buy one won't go out of their way to buy the other.

@mchepp wrote a staff review of Arccos Golf earlier this year:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/accessories/arccos_golf_review

FWIW, I bought a Game Golf back when they only had the classic version rather than the Arccos because Arccos was more expensive and it wasn't Android supported at the time.

It seems like the author of this review found the major glaring feature of Arccos to be the same as me: No ability to edit outside the phone app. 

As I mentioned before, IF Arccos had this ability, I would not be returning it. I would be happy quite happy with the system because it would become painless to fix the minor irritations (assuming the execution on the web UI was reasonable).

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's obviously not the main function of either product. If all you need is a product to help keep score, you can get one of those people counters and just click it every time you take a stroke :-P

Agreed. I want stats. Not a scorecard. I can keep basic stuff with a pencil and paper. 

What I really want is shotlink. What I will settle for is the same stats with 'a grain of salt'. That is what at least these two companies are selling me. Are there other companies that do something similar?

14 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I've read that ArcCos is a bit more accurate. Do you know the features / technology that would make this so (when they both have civilian GPS signal)?

As far as those articles leading you down a bad path, personally I'd still rate them as two positive experiences to your one bad experience. I found @dzclarkcpa's comment more balanced in that they were 'about the same' with the manual scorecard maybe being simpler in the end than either system. LOL.

The Arccos can only be as accurate as the GPS in your phone. 

I hypothesize that GameGolf uses the same civilian based system.

You can read more about its accuracy here:

http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

Ian

11 minutes ago, IanW said:

I see you changed this post after I had responded to it. Not sure if that was an attempt to slip one past me or an honest mistake :)

No mistake. You have time to edit a post. I thought of something else and added it.

I also didn't expect you'd be such an active, responsive poster having lurked for so long!

Kevin

28 minutes ago, IanW said:

I will concede that I didn't speak with a human at precisely the point at which I had a problem. Therefore, just for you, I will go out of my way to arrive at the course earlier than I typically would (the phone lines are only open until 5pm EST) to phone them on Monday during my round if I continue to have the same issues when standing on the first tee.

Agreed. I want stats. Not a scorecard. I can keep basic stuff with a pencil and paper. 

What I really want is shotlink. What I will settle for is the same stats with 'a grain of salt'. That is what at least these two companies are selling me. Are there other companies that do something similar?

Cute. No need to do something special for me. I believe that you are allowed to call customer support when you're not at a golf course. Other users may have had a similar issue and you are in the same time zone. I'm sure you could provide them with a good enough description of the issue  even though you're not 'in-situ'.

I'm sure you got the right answer about editing on a PC via Twitter. I just don't think that's the best mode for resolving technical issues vs. a live person (if they know the product).

I want stats too, you can do fine Strokes Gained analysis using a paper scorecard or a paper course map and a spreadsheet at home.

Neither ArcCos or GameGolf is 'Shotlink with a grain of salt' They are both much less accurate and I think both ArcCos and GameGolf fail to capture the strokes gained value of accuracy off the tee, which is usually quite significant in terms of strokes. Maybe with many grains of salt, but for the relative price both are understandably limited in comparison.

I'm not sure if Broadie's app (http://golfmetrics.com/ - also has a thread) does either, but I have hopes that it will down the line.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

39 minutes ago, IanW said:

The Arccos can only be as accurate as the GPS in your phone. 

I hypothesize that GameGolf uses the same civilian based system.

You can read more about its accuracy here:

http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

Sure they use the same sattelite system, but can ArcCos use cell tower info as extra triangulation points for enhance accuracy and GG can't? Don't know, but that was what I was wondering.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!