IGNORED

For The Old Guys...

Osnola
Note: This thread is 2815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On July 1, 2016 at 0:42 AM, shanksalot said:

Turned 74 on the 19th of this month. Never had a high swing speed probably high 90's at my peak. Right now more than likely mid 80's if I am lucky. I have gone from still shafts to regular in my driver, fairway and irons. My hybrids are senior flex. I have graphite in all my clubs except my wedges and of course the putter. My biggest problem is a loss of concentration when I am playing 4 1/2-5 hour rounds. It is extremely hard to focus after waiting on every shot during the round. On really hot days I have a hard time playing 18 holes I get just tuckered out from the heat and waiting all the time to just play a shot. The quality of my game has also eroded a little more each year. 20 years ago I was a 5-8 handicap, ten years ago I was a 8-10 and the last few years I no longer keep a handicap and I am lucky to shoot in the mid 80's any more. I get frustrated too easily as I expect a better showing from my self, ego I guess. I play with my wife, who was a better golfer than I ever was and a fellow a half dozen years younger than we are. We all played to a single digit handicap at one time, but now we just play the game and try to do our best even though our best is no longer very good. We still love this game and although I get upset with my results often and claim I am going to quit I love golf too much to ever quit it for good. Each time I go out I always am thinking today I am going to play well again at least for a round or two. The result is usually the same old stuff, but it does not stop me from thinking next time I will find my game again. I play tomorrow and you know perhaps this will be the round where I turn it around once more. :dance:

A game for a lifetime...!  :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am still in my junior golfing years :content:. Picked up the game at the age of 52 and getting better every year (now 59). Played a 36 holes strokeplay event yesterday (no buggy!). Hope to get in some more years of getting better at this challenging sport/game.

I'm 69.  Last year I retired my "R" flex steel shafted Titleist AP-2's and replaced them with "R" graphite TaylorMade Aero-Burners.  I also have the 5W and 7W in the same model.  My absolute best killer drives are about 250 yards now, average more like 220 (that's at 4000-5000 feet altitude in Colorado), where as as little as ten years ago I still had the reach to stretch it out to 280, with an occasional wind assist to over 300.

The hardest part for me was taking a forced layoff for 2½ years when living where no golf was available to me except for a a few days once a year.  I am finding it very difficult at this age to relocate my swing, so I'm even more inconsistent than I used to be.  On any given day I can shoot 85 or I can push it close to 100, because I just don't feel what my swing is doing as well as I used to.

On 6/28/2016 at 5:10 PM, Dave2512 said:

Getting older at near 50 and all in all how fit I am at any given time is the story. I could stand to drop a few but I've been enjoying the long days with good food and drink. My game isn't where it should be but until I get the practice bug I am okay using the gear I have and hoping for the best. But I doubt I've lost speed as much as developing technical flaws.

If you think that "near 50" is getting old, you're in for a shock.  I was playing the best golf of my life at your age, consistently shooting low 80's, and even exploring mid to high 70's from time to time.  My lowest handicap index ever was 9.6, and that came in my mid 40's.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

12 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I'm 69.  Last year I retired my "R" flex steel shafted Titleist AP-2's and replaced them with "R" graphite TaylorMade Aero-Burners.  I also have the 5W and 7W in the same model.  My absolute best killer drives are about 250 yards now, average more like 220 (that's at 4000-5000 feet altitude in Colorado), where as as little as ten years ago I still had the reach to stretch it out to 280, with an occasional wind assist to over 300.

The hardest part for me was taking a forced layoff for 2½ years when living where no golf was available to me except for a a few days once a year.  I am finding it very difficult at this age to relocate my swing, so I'm even more inconsistent than I used to be.  On any given day I can shoot 85 or I can push it close to 100, because I just don't feel what my swing is doing as well as I used to.

If you think that "near 50" is getting old, you're in for a shock.  I was playing the best golf of my life at your age, consistently shooting low 80's, and even exploring mid to high 70's from time to time.  My lowest handicap index ever was 9.6, and that came in my mid 40's.

No shock here I was running marathons at 37 probably still could with next day pain. I've only been golfing 4 years so not sure how age will play a part there. But my body is busted up from years of amateur sports worst of it fighting, boxing, martial arts. 

Dave :-)

On 6/29/2016 at 0:02 AM, Osnola said:

Just curious to see how aging as a golfer has changed your game and what changes you have had to make in your equipment.

Just a few for me:

Swing speed at one time was in the 105-110 range. Now it is in the 85 mph range.

Shorter driver shaft, lighter shaft, and not near as stiff.  Iron shafts changed from S to R.

Distance with iron changed.  Used to hit 8i as my 150 yd club.  Now I hit a 6i and only occasionally hit my 7i for that distance.

I find the biggest problem is my body constantly going wrong. Since I started last year I have had shoulder problems, tennis elbow, a bad back, and now I have gout. There always appears to be something I have to combat or strap up. Up until a few days ago I never let these ailments get in my way, however the gout has stopped me wearing shoes, so I am having to give it a rest for a few days. 

Just looking at your data, I am 58 years old, and my choice of club and swing speed is pretty much the same as yours.I would imagine my accuracy and skill level is considerably less though

Edited by paininthenuts

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

46 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

I find the biggest problem is my body constantly going wrong. Since I started last year I have had shoulder problems, tennis elbow, a bad back, and now I have gout. There always appears to be something I have to combat or strap up. Up until a few days ago I never let these ailments get in my way, however the gout has stopped me wearing shoes, so I am having to give it a rest for a few days. 

Just looking at your data, I am 58 years old, and my choice of club and swing speed is pretty much the same as yours.I would imagine my accuracy and skill level is considerably less though

Same with me and I am 56. I always have pain somewhere even though I exercise a lot to prevent injury. It is just part of aging for an active person. Gout is tough though and a good friend of mine has it occasionally. Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I am 64 play 2-9 hole rounds and 1 18 hole round a week since I retired at 62.   My best this summer is 34 on the 9 hole -2. and 71 on the 18 hole -1  Most of the time I shoot 37-41 per 9.  Now the bad part had 2 back surgeries and 2 elbow surgeries on the same elbow  over the last 20 years. As far I feel better now than when I was 30 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

61 and retired here, and just returning to golf after a 23 year hiatus due to various health issues, job and family. Now I play 3x a week, two 18s and a nine, and am on the practice tee 2x weekly. My drives are around 205 or so, and I typically post <50 and <100, for 9 and 18 holes respectively. I find myself riding more in the summer heat these days, and also playing it forward at times. Not terribly consumed with breaking any scoring plateaus, but rather just enjoying good ball striking and sinking some long putts. More contemplative than competitive these days. Great game, golf is!

I'm 70 and, although assorted aches and pains are becoming more of an issue on a regular basis, I really feel like I'm playing as well as I ever have. I certainly don't hit it as far as I used to, and that's the biggest ongoing issue that I have, but I hit a lot of fairways and greens, so that keeps me competitive.

In my younger days (30's and 40's) I could hit it about 270 consistently off the tee, but now a typical tee shot goes 230 to 240. My driver club head speed used to be 105 or so, now it's more like 85 to 90. My iron game is respectable, and my short game is adequate (but not great). Putting has always been my weakest area, but I went to a long putter (50") about 6 months ago, and it's really helped me. I definitely make more birdies...and have fewer 3-putts...so it's really been a good thing for me.

I've shot my age 12 times so far, the first time at age 67, and that's my goal now every time I tee it up. 

What's in my bag? Ping G30 driver, TaylorMade JetSpeed 17* fairway wood, Adams A12 Pro 20 and 23 degree hybrids, Ping G30 irons 5-pw plus UW, Ping Tour Gorge wedges 54 and 58 degree, and an Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T. long Putter 50". I have regular flex shafts in everything...the stock graphite shaft in the Ping G30 irons...the stock steel shaft in the Gorge wedges...and I replaced the stock shaft in the G30 driver with an Accra 42i. 

New note: It turns out that our older golf pro and two of our senior group golfers have gotten into pilates workouts. A local couple works as fitness trainers, and they have organized a pilates routine tailored toward golfers.

All three of these players have excellent flexibility, despite being over 65 years of age.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

At 55, I'm totally aware that I am no longer popping 300+ as I did in my prime at 20-30 or so. Even so- I had my "stats" checked a few months ago and my swing speed in still up at 103-105 with my Driver. That's decent enough I suppose- probably at the upper end for my age. As well as throttling back off the tee for the sake of accuracy awhile ago- I play a LOT smarter than I did back then. 

Note: This thread is 2815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!