IGNORED

I am playing in the US Mid-AM qualifier, but I need your help.

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 2745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I might be inclined to ask my caddie to walk during the actual qualifier.  I have always found it easier to carry on a conversation with someone walking with me rather than chat with someone driving a cart.  If you don't plan on conversing except over the shot, then maybe there is no issue.

If you decide to give your caddie a cart, if there is ever one of your shots that may require a search, make sure your caddie stays with you as you walk.  The 5 minute search limit starts when either you or your caddie arrives near where the ball might be located.  If you want both of you to have the full 5 minutes, you need to arrive at the same time.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We talked last night and he agreed that he should walk. My bag wont be heavy other than clubs and 7-8 balls so it wont be a killer to carry. If the weather is good I wont need a rain jacket or extra gloves or an umbrella. 

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

14 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

We talked last night and he agreed that he should walk. My bag wont be heavy other than clubs and 7-8 balls so it wont be a killer to carry. If the weather is good I wont need a rain jacket or extra gloves or an umbrella. 

Are you allowed to use the cart for the practice round.  If so, I would recommend using it, purely because you are practicing one day before the tournament and the less tired you are, the better.  For your caddie, it does not make a huge difference.  Unless carrying the bag tires him out so much that it will impact your pace of play during the tournament, either option is fine for him.  Good luck with the tourney and hydrating and carb loading the day before the tournament is huge.  Make sure you have a good breakfast early in the morning, say 6 am or so, which will then allow you to snack lightly through the tournament and keep your energy levels up

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Yes, we both will be riding in a cart for the practice round. 

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

21 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

My practice round will be 3pm the day before. Should get a good idea of where the pins will be the next morning. 

Planning on lots of fluids and a big pasta dinner that day so I am hydrated and have plenty of energy to walk.

I would advise against a big pasta dinner.  Carb overload can be felt in the morning especially under higher stress.  I would stick more to lots of protein and some salad.  It's better energy and will be more than enough to give lots of energy to walk the next day.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

7 days out from the practice round. Hit 13 and 11 greens this weekend but two blowup holes a day had me card 81 both days. Chipping and putting all week and making sure everything is ready for next Monday. Might play 9 holes Thursday and then rest for Sunday/Monday.

Kyle Paulhus

1 hour ago, kpaulhus said:

7 days out from the practice round. Hit 13 and 11 greens this weekend but two blowup holes a day had me card 81 both days. Chipping and putting all week and making sure everything is ready for next Monday. Might play 9 holes Thursday and then rest for Sunday/Monday.

81 with 13 greens?!  Ugh...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, kpaulhus said:

... Might play 9 holes Thursday and then rest for Sunday/Monday.

Good call. In run-of-mill city tourneys, I've seen people play and practice heavily 36 hours out, and be too tired to swing by Day 2.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

81 with 13 greens?!  Ugh...

Yep. 9 on a par 4, and a triple on the following par 5. Stupid tee shots going OB, then trying to hit shots to recover and make the second ball birdie netted another penalty stroke. 

I also decided that am going to GameGolf my practice round, but not use it during the actual qualifier. I don't want any questions asked or it beeping when I tag. I just want to focus on my game. It's hitting me how serious this tournament is and I really want to perform well. 

Kyle Paulhus

8 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

It's really not. ;)

It's only as serious as you want it to be. Added pressure doesn't help in any situation, even in my meaningless head to head matches with a friend. I know you probably already know this but sometimes you get caught up in the hoopla. Fyi there will be no judging on my part if you shoot 95 not that it matters. I still think you need to enjoy the thrill of the competition, just don't let it get to your head.

• Upvote 2

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

10 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

. It's hitting me how serious this tournament is and I really want to perform well. 

Serious is health, career, that kind of stuff.   This is just golf.   Theworst that can happen is that you don't qualify for the next stage of tournaments, and that's what you expect already.  If you're going in expecting nothing, the only differences from that will be better!  Do your best to go in relaxed, prepared to hit good shots, and ready to enjoy yourself.

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Treat this as another round of golf, but understand that there are consequences to dumb shots.  Never compound one bad shot with another 1 in a 100 rescue shot and then land up with horrid holes.  Take your medicine.  Your goal should be nothing worse than a bogey.  Do that and you should be close to qualifying.  I know that sometimes it is not easy to overcome the urge to play for a par even when your ball is in a poo-poo situation.  I do that too often which is why my handicap does not reduce as merited by my actual game and skills.  Play smart golf

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Yesterday I was 2 over par other than those two blow up holes. I think Ill be OK going into next week as long as I don't try the hero shots. Course is closed today. Tomorrow I'm going to chip and putt and work on getting my clubs cleaned, and bag as light as possible for my caddie. Forecast looks great for next Monday, sunny and 91*. Happy I am teeing off at 8:10 am. 

Kyle Paulhus

Now's the time when I'd try to get a little time away from golf.  Go out with some non-golfing friends (if you have any, I know I don't), go to a movie, just get your head away from the game if you can for a few days.  You've got low-key golf plans for today and tomorrow, and  I'm sure you'll be tuning up a little on the weekend.  I'm thinking a big mental "deep breath" would be a good thing for Wednesday and Thursday.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Now's the time when I'd try to get a little time away from golf.  Go out with some non-golfing friends (if you have any, I know I don't), go to a movie, just get your head away from the game if you can for a few days.  You've got low-key golf plans for today and tomorrow, and  I'm sure you'll be tuning up a little on the weekend.  I'm thinking a big mental "deep breath" would be a good thing for Wednesday and Thursday.

Yeah I have two friends that don't golf as much as me, so Ill see what they are doing Saturday. Course is closed today so I am mowing the lawn, having a cigar and then dinner with the wife. Tomorrow & Wednesday I plan on chipping and putting, Thursday is a work scramble so nothing intense. Friday I'm debating on playing 18 in the morning or not. I'm off Saturday and don't tee off til Sunday at 3 for my practice round. Lots of fluids and sleep this weekend in preparation for Monday. 

It will be a slightly different week for me considering I usually practice or play minimum 9 holes tues-sun.

Kyle Paulhus

30 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Thursday is a work scramble so nothing intense.

No scramble heroics!!  Normal regular swings, you hit it long enough to be the driving stud on any scramble team.

Dave

• Administrator
20 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

It's hitting me how serious this tournament is and I really want to perform well. 

Others said it, but yeah… it's really not all that serious.

It's just a game.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!