IGNORED

I am playing in the US Mid-AM qualifier, but I need your help.

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 2754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Glad you enjoyed it! Sorry for the score but it will only get better with experience.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Kyle thanks for sharing the experience with us. I know it wasn't what your were hoping for, but the first big tournament you play in rarely goes perfectly to plan. Keep improving the game and I look forward to seeing your results in other future events.

• Upvote 1

Good play @kpaulhus. Score doesn't sound so bad, IMO, especially if the + guys put up 80+ numbers too. I think next year you will be readier. But I am sure you will realize that you have broken the barrier to the next level. 

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

Tough round man. Competition play is a beast. I hope you keep at it and try again next year ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Tough round, but you are definitely right to feel positively about the whole experience.

It also takes some guts to follow a 49 on the front with a 39, especially under the circumstances.

Can't wait to hear about next year (when you very well might be one of those + handicaps!)

- John

Seems like you have lots of positive vibes which is really great. Considering it was such a tough course (as evidenced by the scores in your group) and your first time in a big time tournament, you did well. Now you have the details and what you need to work on. Next time you'll be more prepared.

Michael

Welp, 40th out of 50 guys.

image.png

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

6 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Welp, 40th out of 50 guys.

image.png

Icem Brewer? What a name....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

You knew you were a little over your head in this event. Clearly you have the distance and ability to play with these guys, just not the consistency and experience; that will come with time.

You stuck it out and posted a score, unlike 7 people with a bit less spine.  With a little more conservative play and the benefit of hindsight, you might have cracked the top 20.  So now you have a benchmark or baseline.  You know that playing poorly you can do "88" on a really tough layout.  Next time you will play well and it will be exciting for you to see what you can do when you are "on".

The effort deserves a well done.  Next time I hope it is congratulations.

Brian Kuehn

I know it's not what you were looking for, but this is a good building block for the future. Competition, especially the first few times on that high of a level, is very nerve racking. Your back nine score shows that you can compete, it's just a matter of getting used to the pressure. 

• Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

14 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

The guy who finished first has played in some PGA events (unless it's someone else with that name?):

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/2440/log

Wouldn't doubt it is him. If you google his name he plays in some big time USGA events and was 2nd last year in the Arkansas Qualifier. He also played in the 1994 US Open at Oakmont. 

This guy shot 91, so I don't feel too badimage.png

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Hey kyle, thats great that even though you didnt have the round you mightve hoped for, you still have a positive attitude about it.

Looking at your recap, and im sure you already know this, looks like more of your time practicing could be spent on and around the greens. Short game and putting!! Sounds like you got off the tee pretty well. Proximity to the hole on approach shots sounds like it couldve been better, but it sounds like the majority of your bogeys came from not getting up and down and 3 putts. 

You have a full year before your next crack at it! I think youll be surprised at how much you can improve with a year of consistent and focused practice. 

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, yai said:

Hey kyle, thats great that even though you didnt have the round you mightve hoped for, you still have a positive attitude about it.

Looking at your recap, and im sure you already know this, looks like more of your time practicing could be spent on and around the greens. Short game and putting!! Sounds like you got off the tee pretty well. Proximity to the hole on approach shots sounds like it couldve been better, but it sounds like the majority of your bogeys came from not getting up and down and 3 putts. 

You have a full year before your next crack at it! I think youll be surprised at how much you can improve with a year of consistent and focused practice. 

Good luck!

My club championship is a week from Friday, so chipping/putting will be my main focus. 

Kyle Paulhus

Really enjoyed following this thread for the last few weeks. Hopefully this experience does you the world of good and has set you a benchmark to improve upon over the coming year. Hard luck on the day but it was obviously a really tough course, and good luck for next year!

Note: This thread is 2754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!