IGNORED

What rule, or rules, do you ignore?

Piz
Note: This thread is 2372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I ignore two rules

1. If my practice swing (backswing) knocks some leaves off a tree, I don't penalize myself. 

2. I will take a Mulligan on the first tee box only, and only if I don't like my first drive. 

Everything else, I adhere to pretty strictly. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/6/2016 at 4:15 PM, GolfLug said:

I drop my ball with arm raised to shoulder height even on the range these days..:-D

Won't take the pin out at all if I play solo (which is not that often anymore). Can't post anyway so sorta mute (or is it moot? whatever..) point. Used to be gimme galore within leather with friends but most of my rounds are in my club Sunday league so that has stopped. Beyond these I might be ignorant in some rules but I don't ignore anything on purpose that I know of.

If I'm playing by myself and the score doesn't count, I may or may not take the flag out, nor will I always putt out.  I will also at times, play multiple balls (I've played as many as 5 or 6 balls on  a hole).  Try different shots, to see how the ball reacts, etc.     

My Saturday and Sunday groups do the gimme putts galore as well, although with my current putting woes, I wouldn't give me a putt unless I'm inside a foot.  :whistle:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

The rule book clearly states that, once play on a hole has begun, the player whose ball is farthest from the hole plays first.  Despite this; nearly everyone I play with thinks that everyone's ball should be on the green before any one of us putts.  To me; that constitutes a breach of etiquette.  My "reward" for being closer to the hole is getting to observe the speed, break, etc... of one or more attempts...before I play my shot.  Insisting that I "get on" is an unwitting negation of that earned advantage.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

20 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

If I'm playing by myself and the score doesn't count, I may or may not take the flag out, nor will I always putt out.  I will also at times, play multiple balls (I've played as many as 5 or 6 balls on  a hole).  Try different shots, to see how the ball reacts, etc.     

My Saturday and Sunday groups do the gimme putts galore as well, although with my current putting woes, I wouldn't give me a putt unless I'm inside a foot.  :whistle:

Hmm, will remember this for next time I play with you - "Mark it Nancy"..lol! 

Vishal S.

Just now, GolfLug said:

Hmm, will remember this for next time I play with you - "Mark it Nancy"..lol! 

LOL

Although I got a putting tip yesterday from our club champion who noticed that I was moving my body on the short putts, hopefully if I can keep my body still, my putting woes will go away.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Just now, jsgolfer said:

LOL

Although I got a putting tip yesterday from our club champion who noticed that I was moving my body on the short putts, hopefully if I can keep my body still, my putting woes will go away.

I do the same damn thing from time to time.  I've also noticed that allowing my head to follow the backswing and forward swing of the putter can encourage this dastardly body sway.  MY key is often to watch the ball, let the putter move on its own without my eyeballs following it.  OK, that's all :offtopic:, we can go back to the rules and ignoring them.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

29 minutes ago, Piz said:

The rule book clearly states that, once play on a hole has begun, the player whose ball is farthest from the hole plays first.  Despite this; nearly everyone I play with thinks that everyone's ball should be on the green before any one of us putts.  To me; that constitutes a breach of etiquette.  My "reward" for being closer to the hole is getting to observe the speed, break, etc... of one or more attempts...before I play my shot.  Insisting that I "get on" is an unwitting negation of that earned advantage.

That's true in match play, but it's not a rule in stroke play.  And the reason why most groups adhere to the "get on" caveat is so that once the flag comes out once it doesn't have to go back in until you're done with the hole.  Since most of us aren't playing with caddies, nobody really has the time or energy to be dealing with the flagstick other than one removal and one replacement.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

That's true in match play, but it's not a rule in stroke play.  And the reason why most groups adhere to the "get on" caveat is so that once the flag comes out once it doesn't have to go back in until you're done with the hole.  Since most of us aren't playing with caddiesnobody really has the time or energy to be dealing with the flagstick other than one removal and one replacement.

Oh really?  I am more than happy to tend the flag while you play your shot; but you are going to insist that I go first to save me the time and energy required to do so?  Guess what?...It's your turn!  I would prefer, and it is my privilege, to tend the pin for you.  I want to watch your putt before I play mine.  I earned the right to do so by knocking it closer than you did.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Piz said:

Oh really?  I am more than happy to tend the flag while you play your shot; but you are going to insist that I go first to save me the time and energy required to do so?  Guess what?...It's your turn!  I would prefer, and it is my privilege, to tend the pin for you.  I want to watch your putt before I play mine.  I earned the right to do so by knocking it closer than you did.  

Still, playing out of order in stroke play isn't a big deal.

If you want to insist on it in your group, go ahead. But I'd actually prefer most people just play ready golf.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Two off the first, if I'm playing with the dog fight. 

Short putts are given with regularity. 

If my ball is on a root, it's getting moved. I'm not busting my clubs up. 

Ready golf, though we almost always play to whoever actually has the honors. 

Super-wet spots become a group discussion; if we all agree too wet, we move it. 

Others I can't remember.

Obviously, this is for casual/friendly rounds. In tournaments, things are different. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

27 minutes ago, Piz said:

I didn't "insist" on anything ... I'm just telling you that the rule book doesn't require any particular order of play unless you are playing match play.

You're previous post still has me perplexed, though.  You mentioned that you wanted to be able to see the break.  How, exactly, could somebody be on the green while you're off the green, and be further from the hole than you, and somehow also still be in your line?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Still, playing out of order in stroke play isn't a big deal.

If you want to insist on it in your group, go ahead. But I'd actually prefer most people just play ready golf.

You would actually prefer that the person closest to the hole play first and that the pin not be left in or attended.  That does not square with earlier statements you've made.

In der bag:

1 minute ago, Piz said:

You would actually prefer that the person closest to the hole play first and that the pin not be left in or attended.  That does not square with earlier statements you've made.

Um....I think you're making it a bigger deal than it needs to be. Play ready golf.

Colin P.

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

I didn't "insist" on anything ... I'm just telling you that the rule book doesn't require any particular order of play unless you are playing match play.

Rule 10-2b.  If that is not a rule I don't know what is.  There is no penalty for violating the rule; but it is a rule and a competitor has every right to insist that it be followed.

In der bag:

(edited)

1. Mulligan off 1st tee if no driving range available for warm up

2. I will grant myself and others the ability to roll the ball in the fairway if the ball comes to rest in a divot. I mean if I put the ball in the fairway, I should get a decent lie! :banana:

*oh, and I agree with "Ready golf" unless we're playing for money and strategy becomes an issue

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Piz said:

No. I said no such thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My apologies then.  I got the impression that you advocated leaving the pin in when circumstances allowed and having the pin tended while attempting moderate to long putts.  If that is not the case; may I suggest that your previous statements are misleading?  I have always assumed it was the responsibility of the person nearest the hole to tend the flag for the others.  I have also cultivated the habit of watching everyone else's shots, beginning to end, in the belief that you never know when you might learn something.  Given the subject; the point is wholly appropriate.  To dismiss it out of hand is indicative of something else.  When I am 8 feet from the cup and the other three are 20, 30, and 40 feet away; I have an opportunity to observe the behavior of a putted ball on 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...separate occasions before I have a go.  It is not in my best interests to go first.  And the rules do not require that I do.

In der bag:

12 minutes ago, Piz said:

My apologies then.  I got the impression that you advocated leaving the pin in when circumstances allowed and having the pin tended while attempting moderate to long putts.  If that is not the case; may I suggest that your previous statements are misleading?  I have always assumed it was the responsibility of the person nearest the hole to tend the flag for the others.  I have also cultivated the habit of watching everyone else's shots, beginning to end, in the belief that you never know when you might learn something.  Given the subject; the point is wholly appropriate.  To dismiss it out of hand is indicative of something else.  When I am 8 feet from the cup and the other three are 20, 30, and 40 feet away; I have an opportunity to observe the behavior of a putted ball on 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...separate occasions before I have a go.  It is not in my best interests to go first.  And the rules do not require that I do.

Take an Aimpoint class and then you won't have to worry about what the 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 putts that aren't on your line are doing. 

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!