Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Piz

What rule, or rules, do you ignore?

Note: This thread is 851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

106 posts / 10979 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

If you were to play the rest of the hole by dropping a ball where you are required stroke and distance, then that would be deemed as "practice". You already forfeit the hole by not following the stroke and distance rule, so why break more rules as well? 

Because I like golf, and I'd like to play all the holes on the course I paid to play on, and It's most likely a more fun option for the four person game I am most likely playing in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

4 minutes ago, lastings said:

Because I like golf, and I'd like to play all the holes on the course I paid to play on, and It's most likely a more fun option for the four person game I am most likely playing in? 

Sure, and that's fine, but your score would be invalidated by knowingly breaking rules.

I have no issue with other people breaking rules, I only try to follow them myself. I'm pretty sure that I've broken some unknowingly, but my goal is to follow them and certainly not to ignore the ones I know about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, Lihu said:

Sure, and that's fine, but your score would be invalidated by knowingly breaking rules.

I have no issue with other people breaking rules, I only try to follow them myself. I'm pretty sure that I've broken some unknowingly, but my goal is to follow them and certainly not to ignore the ones I know about.

Also fair.  fortunately, My scorecard isn't being turned into anyone but the 3 friends I am playing with.  who are more than comfortable playing the way we play.  

That said, if picking up your ball at that point and watching your group play the rest of the hole is more enjoyable for you, who am I to judge?  More power to you and playing the game in the way you derive the most enjoyment from it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, lastings said:

Also fair.  fortunately, My scorecard isn't being turned into anyone but the 3 friends I am playing with.  who are more than comfortable playing the way we play.  

That said, if picking up your ball at that point and watching your group play the rest of the hole is more enjoyable for you, who am I to judge?  More power to you and playing the game in the way you derive the most enjoyment from it.  

It is after all, supposed to be fun. :beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Sure, and that's fine, but your score would be invalidated by knowingly breaking rules.

For what its worth, I'd look at the handicap posting this way.  First, the hole score isn't going to be valid, its not played out within the rules.  That leaves as possibilities for a "handicap score" either

the "likely score,

par plus handicap,

or ESC.  

Playing from the fairway to the hole definitely counts as practice, and as playing from the wrong place, and maybe a few other infractions.  But really, to add penalty strokes at that stage of play is meaningless.  For casual play, I'd score that hole as ESC.  My reasoning, the "most likely score", after going back to the tee, would be something like par plus handicap plus the initial stroke and penalty, which is at least equal to the ESC.  I think after hitting a shot that's lost, to have to take par plus handicap (essentially making birdie or eagle on the second ball), is unreasonably punitive.  So I end up taking ESC.  We discussed this at length on another thread, and I know that some people disagree with me, but that's life.  As far as invalidating the entire round for posting purposes, practice on one hole doesn't do it for me.  In fact, intentionally breaking rules to avoid posting could lead to disciplinary action from the Handicap Committee

And if its me, and I was walking and there were people behind us, I'd do just that, drop one and play with my buddies, and take ESC for handicap posting.  If its a stroke play competition, I go back.  If its match play competition, I concede the hole and go to the next tee, no practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Let's say a guy is in the bunker, the rest are on the green.  Bunker guy thins it across the green and is still furthest from hole.  In this case it's not a matter of him getting his s*** together, it's that he has to rake the bunker and walk across the entire green to get to his ball which is more than enough time for one or all of the guys on the green to putt rather than them standing around watching the guy rake the bunker and walk to his ball.  

 

1 hour ago, BamaWade said:

Hey...leave me outta this!

 

246a11a3482dee04976b9f76c774e7edca8ca8a800c2a02ba65133c3ee3bf9f9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

Sure, and that's fine, but your score would be invalidated by knowingly breaking rules.

I have no issue with other people breaking rules, I only try to follow them myself. I'm pretty sure that I've broken some unknowingly, but my goal is to follow them and certainly not to ignore the ones I know about.

It's not invalidated, even for handicap, as long as you follow the procedures in the handicap manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You guys are right.  I got angry and went off.  The guff I was getting for what I thought was an innocuous remark got under my skin.  I was taught that the person closest to the pin, as a courtesy, tends the pin for the others.  I wasn't talking about shots made with anything other than a putter.  When my ball is 8 feet from the cup, and on the fringe, I do not like being told that I have to be on the green before anyone can putt.  That isn't true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, Piz said:

You guys are right.  I got angry and went off.  The guff I was getting for what I thought was an innocuous remark got under my skin.

No worries.

24 minutes ago, Piz said:

I was taught that the person closest to the pin, as a courtesy, tends the pin for the others.

I agree.  Or, the guy who has already finished the hole.  If you picked up and "x'd" yourself out, or if you chipped to gimme range and tapped in, then you take care of the stick for the rest of the group.

17 minutes ago, Piz said:

When my ball is 8 feet from the cup, and on the fringe, I do not like being told that I have to be on the green before anyone can putt.  That isn't true.

Just make note that nobody was suggesting this.  Any of us who typically play out of order in this situation would never argue with somebody who wanted to wait their turn.  It's always just made as an option to the last guy or guys who are still off the green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, Piz said:

You guys are right.  I got angry and went off.  The guff I was getting for what I thought was an innocuous remark got under my skin.  I was taught that the person closest to the pin, as a courtesy, tends the pin for the others.  I wasn't talking about shots made with anything other than a putter.  When my ball is 8 feet from the cup, and on the fringe, I do not like being told that I have to be on the green before anyone can putt.  That isn't true.

Welcome back to the middle. 

:beer: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

No worries.

I agree.  Or, the guy who has already finished the hole.  If you picked up and "x'd" yourself out, or if you chipped to gimme range and tapped in, then you take care of the stick for the rest of the group.

Just make note that nobody was suggesting this.  Any of us who typically play out of order in this situation would never argue with somebody who wanted to wait their turn.  It's always just made as an option to the last guy or guys who are still off the green.

Yep.  We just always ask the players who are off the green if they want to "play up" before we remove the flagstick.  99% of the time they do so without any question, regardless of who is away.  

It's one of the little things that may save a few seconds here and there, and all of those little things added together can have an influence on pace of play.  

I grant that there are times when it's faster for the players on the green to start putting while the one off the green who just skulled his ball over the green from bunker to rough gets his act together.  I have many times offered to rake while he chases down his ball and the other 2 guys start putting.

I don't see any of these possibilities as being transcendent.  For me and the guys I mostly play with, common sense prevails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you.  The vitriol is born entirely of frustration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/10/2016 at 6:39 PM, iacas said:

Still, playing out of order in stroke play isn't a big deal.

If you want to insist on it in your group, go ahead. But I'd actually prefer most people just play ready golf.

The concept of ready golf is being pushed to include ignoring honors from the tee in stroke play in order to speed play if any player can hit safely. Here is what we are doing at St Andrews (Scotland):

Ready Golf
Over the past year or so there has been quite some discussion on this subject by the golf authorities and club golfers in general. In the past, the etiquette of golf always gave the “honour” to the player with the lowest score at one hole in medal play to tee up first at each hole once the 1st hole has been played.
So now we, The St Andrews Golf Club, would like to slightly amend the way we play in stroke-play events by adopting Ready Golf. 
Studies have shown that an average additional time that 3 or 4 people take per hole under the etiquette system, is 100 seconds for a 3 ball and 125 seconds for a 4 ball. The problem arises from the order in which the group plays from the tee. 
If the “honour” is with a golfer who must wait for the group in front to clear to a safe distance before he can play, the delay is estimated to be 3 minutes at its longest. In an average round, therefore,  not counting par 3s, there is a potential saving of up to 42minutes per round. If we could see even a 30 minute saving per round that would be a great benefit to us all.
Some members of the Club are currently using this method, but it is not the norm. 
The Committee of Management is now asking members to start adopting the Ready Golf method in an effort to speed up play. If you are safely able to play when the group in front of you are out of range please do so regardless of the scoring at the previous hole.  Prior to teeing off in a stroke play competition please try to make sure that the Ready Golf method is promoted. Thank you all in advance.
This will not apply to Matchplay events.

Edited by VOX
forgot I posted this last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, VOX said:

The concept of ready golf is being pushed to include ignoring honors from the tee in stroke play in order to speed play if any player can hit safely. Here is what we are doing at St Andrews (Scotland):

Ready Golf
Over the past year or so there has been quite some discussion on this subject by the golf authorities and club golfers in general. In the past, the etiquette of golf always gave the “honour” to the player with the lowest score at one hole in medal play to tee up first at each hole once the 1st hole has been played.
So now we, The St Andrews Golf Club, would like to slightly amend the way we play in stroke-play events by adopting Ready Golf. 
Studies have shown that an average additional time that 3 or 4 people take per hole under the etiquette system, is 100 seconds for a 3 ball and 125 seconds for a 4 ball. The problem arises from the order in which the group plays from the tee. 
If the “honour” is with a golfer who must wait for the group in front to clear to a safe distance before he can play, the delay is estimated to be 3 minutes at its longest. In an average round, therefore,  not counting par 3s, there is a potential saving of up to 42minutes per round. If we could see even a 30 minute saving per round that would be a great benefit to us all.
Some members of the Club are currently using this method, but it is not the norm. 
The Committee of Management is now asking members to start adopting the Ready Golf method in an effort to speed up play. If you are safely able to play when the group in front of you are out of range please do so regardless of the scoring at the previous hole.  Prior to teeing off in a stroke play competition please try to make sure that the Ready Golf method is promoted. Thank you all in advance.
This will not apply to Matchplay events.

The idea of the shorter hitters playing first is a great concept imo and it seems a lot of time could be saved this way. Additionally, if we took it a step further, and just played ready golf from the tee at all times we could save even more. In a foursome there is always someone cracking a beer, taking a leak, lighting a cigar, etc. If you are ready while others are fiddling around, just hit. I do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It seems that almost all the lack of strict adherence benefits the player; i.e., leads to better scores and, therefore, lower handicaps.  The best example is conceded putts.  Shouldn't we all be fine with folks who claim lower handicaps than they would have if they strictly followed the rules? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...