IGNORED

"No, I don't want your input," random guy on range

Note: This thread is 2835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/6/2016 at 7:36 PM, Papa Steve 55 said:

Two minuets of time costs less. Your not at work, your on the range.

When your time is limited (say you are hitting a few at lunch) then those two minutes are expensive.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:04 PM, gregsandiego said:

It's not gentlemanly in my opinion , to offer strangers advice.

I'm sorry, I was not implying that they are gentlemanly, I was just suggesting taking the higher ground, and it was not a pointed statement, just a broad brush, not letting others affect your mood.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would use it as an opportunity to work on my mental game. I've found as much as I work on my physical game, the mental game is what takes over during a round. When something external disturbs me it's a chance to look at myself. If I'm choosing to be disturbed, who or what am I giving my power to?

• Upvote 1

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

I don't think people that do this are trying to show off, I like to think they are genuinely just trying to be helpful and offer some advice when they see a swing problem, which is not cool I agree but I wouldn't take it so badly, just say thanks but no thanks in a nice way.

It's also probably a common practice of the many instructors trying to get work, can't blame them for that.

Edited by MrDC

This is a great thread. I think we all go through 'opinion overload' from range gurus at some point :) It usually comes from good hearted people, not trying to interfere, however interfere they do.

Trying to politely decline is the real skill, and it is crucial that you do. In fact I wrote an article recently on how this impacts golfers and causes them to play worse - mainly as many will take on these random bits of advice and screw up their original game plan by trying to do too much. It's like playing mental tug of war...with no winners! 

Do you find it's usually golfers who are better or worse than you who seem to try and cough up some golden nuggets to 'help you out'? Did you at least know these people or were they complete strangers?

33 minutes ago, zero said:

I would use it as an opportunity to work on my mental game. I've found as much as I work on my physical game, the mental game is what takes over during a round. When something external disturbs me it's a chance to look at myself. If I'm choosing to be disturbed, who or what am I giving my power to?

This is something that I struggle with, and I completely agree with you.   Part of golf (and life) is putting up with things that bother you and whether someone is trying gamesmanship on you, or just a twonk, you have to not let it bother you.

—Adam

47 minutes ago, zero said:

LOL!.. that is a fairly unique approach.   

Vishal S.

I have been offered swing advice on the range and on the course several times.  Most of it came last year when I was overhauling my swing with my instructor and was shooting terrible scores.  I guess these people saw that I was hitting the ball poorly and genuinely wanted to help me out.  Did I let them show me?  Sure!  Did I keep going with it?  No!  I knew that what I was working on would pay off eventually, and it has this year for sure.  To me, its just people seeing someone struggling and wanting to help out...and I think we can all agree the world needs more of that!!  Let the person take 2 minutes of your time and try to help you out...you never know what it can do for you, but you also don't know how good it might make the other person feel!

2 hours ago, zero said:

I like this response.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I would never do it for someone I don't know well - I've heard some utter shockers at the range recently, including a guy who was hitting every big miss under the sun giving someone else guidance along the lines of, 'just flip at it at the bottom'. I would give my close friends help if they ask, but only with the bits that are horrifically wrong and almost never full-swing mechanics. The main thing I can think of is their tendency to stop at the bottom on a short game shot. Other than that, I just point them in the direction of my evolvr instructor and hope that they'll listen!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Note: This thread is 2835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!