Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gregsandiego

"No, I don't want your input," random guy on range

Note: This thread is 1314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

64 posts / 5876 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I was at the range today working on what my instructor has taught me, wearing earphones to keep out distractions. I guess I paused and turned around long enough for the guy behind me to ask:

"Do you want some input ? "

Why should I? I don't know him. He's not a PGA instructor is he? At best he's going to tell me what I already know and probably the same things I'm working on.

I know what you guys are going to say - "Oh I never pay attention to anything else....."

Not me. It pisses me off when some random person volunteers free advice. What I really think he is saying is " hey I'm better than you and I want to prove it by diagnosing your swing faults."

And for what it's worth, as amateur as I am, I can look at anyone's swing and find a fault. It's fairly easy to see someone else's swing issues. The hard part is what to do about them.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I think you are taking it a bit more personal than it was intended but I understand how you feel.  I was working on my back swing positions and if anyone saw the resulting shots they'd been suggesting I take up another sport not offering me free advice.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

I know what you guys are going to say - "Oh I never pay attention to anything else....."

Nope. What I am going to say is, relax man. It's just a game. Smile and listen to whatever that person has to say graciously or politely decline his offer. Either way, just move on with your life after that. No need to get worked up over it.

You don't know him, he doesn't know you. Maybe he is an instructor. He doesn't know you already have an instructor. Maybe he is genuinely trying to help. Either way it seems like you're getting awfully defensive over something trivial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

Nope. What I am going to say is, relax man. It's just a game. Smile and listen to whatever that person has to say graciously or politely decline his offer. Either way, just move on with your life after that. No need to get worked up over it.

You don't know him, he doesn't know you. Maybe he is an instructor. He doesn't know you already have an instructor. Maybe he is genuinely trying to help. Either way it seems like you're getting awfully defensive over something trivial.

Actually what you said is pretty close to what I predicted LOL.

10 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I think you are taking it a bit more personal than it was intended but I understand how you feel.  I was working on my back swing positions and if anyone saw the resulting shots they'd been suggesting I take up another sport not offering me free advice.    

Even a better point. 

As far as it being personal - yeah it was. Maybe not mean , but since I was the lone recipient it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Actually what you said is pretty close to what I predicted LOL.

Well if you didn't want my input, you shouldn't have started a thread on an internet forum. ;-)

Oh and keep your head down, you're looking up at your ballflight early and it's causing your (insert cliche miss here). :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Well if you didn't want my input, you shouldn't have started a thread on an internet forum. ;-)

Oh and keep your head down, you're looking up at your ballflight early and it's causing your (insert cliche miss here). :-P

I really do want it Bill. I"m not thin skinned just at golf.

By the way I think you're stance is too wide, your grip is too tight, your too close to the ball, and you need more shoulder turn....

Funny - I was thinking next time I could turn the tables and offer to evaluate the voluntary instructor first next time....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Funny - I was thinking next time I could turn the tables and offer to evaluate the voluntary instructor first next time....

Don't forget to say you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's another side to this coin. First let me make it quite clear, that 99.9% of unsolicited help from strangers is usually a dead end street. I have had it done to me, and didn't care much for it either. 

But just for the sake of discussion, what if the person butting in, actually knows something that can help? What if the nuisance guy drops a little diddy on you, and your golf planets totally align, giving you that answer for your swing no one could before? The one you have been trying to find to shave a stroke or two off your game? 

Those kind of people do exist. They are not pga pros, or any other type of registered golf swing instructor. They have little ideas, that at first, sound really dumb, making them the laughing stock by those of us who think we know better. I have actually met one these humans. 

Many years ago, while on my PS/1  (any flash backs?) computer, I was a member of a small golf forum. We had a guy on there, who had all theses weird ideas on developing a consistant, usable golf swing. We all made fun of him because that's what we were made of back then. I took it upon myself to prove this guy a foolish, old relic. I drove from Vegas to Oklahoma to meet this guy at his home. He had invited me. Long story short. The guy was the real deal, with picts, and written accolades from some well known serious golfers from other sports. Even a few pga/lpga folks were on his walls. 

So my long post here is to just remind people that they shouldn't prejudge others. You just never know who you might really be shoving aside, until you get to know them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Patch said:

There's another side to this coin. First let me make it quite clear, that 99.9% of unsolicited help from strangers is usually a dead end street. I have had it done to me, and didn't care much for it either. 

But just for the sake of discussion, what if the person butting in, actually knows something that can help? What if the nuisance guy drops a little diddy on you, and your golf planets totally align, giving you that answer for your swing no one could before? The one you have been trying to find to shave a stroke or two off your game? 

Those kind of people do exist. They are not pga pros, or any other type of registered golf swing instructor. They have little ideas, that at first, sound really dumb, making them the laughing stock by those of us who think we know better. I have actually met one these humans. 

Many years ago, while on my PS/1  (any flash backs?) computer, I was a member of a small golf forum. We had a guy on there, who had all theses weird ideas on developing a consistant, usable golf swing. We all made fun of him because that's what we were made of back then. I took it upon myself to prove this guy a foolish, old relic. I drove from Vegas to Oklahoma to meet this guy at his home. He had invited me. Long story short. The guy was the real deal, with picts, and written accolades from some well known serious golfers from other sports. Even a few pga/lpga folks were on his walls. 

So my long post here is to just remind people that they shouldn't prejudge others. You just never know who you might really be shoving aside, until you get to know them. 

Yeah, and besides, he might have a hot sister!

:w00t: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Patch said:

There's another side to this coin. First let me make it quite clear, that 99.9% of unsolicited help from strangers is usually a dead end street. I have had it done to me, and didn't care much for it either. 

But just for the sake of discussion, what if the person butting in, actually knows something that can help? What if the nuisance guy drops a little diddy on you, and your golf planets totally align, giving you that answer for your swing no one could before? The one you have been trying to find to shave a stroke or two off your game? 

Those kind of people do exist. They are not pga pros, or any other type of registered golf swing instructor. They have little ideas, that at first, sound really dumb, making them the laughing stock by those of us who think we know better. I have actually met one these humans. 

Many years ago, while on my PS/1  (any flash backs?) computer, I was a member of a small golf forum. We had a guy on there, who had all theses weird ideas on developing a consistant, usable golf swing. We all made fun of him because that's what we were made of back then. I took it upon myself to prove this guy a foolish, old relic. I drove from Vegas to Oklahoma to meet this guy at his home. He had invited me. Long story short. The guy was the real deal, with picts, and written accolades from some well known serious golfers from other sports. Even a few pga/lpga folks were on his walls. 

So my long post here is to just remind people that they shouldn't prejudge others. You just never know who you might really be shoving aside, until you get to know them. 

It's always possible someone freely volunteering swing advice knows what they are talking about and might help but in the case of the OP, he's working with someone and was working on a priority piece just as I was.   

Golf is one of those activities where people just seem to feel the need to offer unsolicited advice.  I see crappy drivers out on the road every day, you don't see someone pull along side of them and offer free driving tips (at least not without some swear words thrown in).  Imagine hanging out a gym and offering other  adults advice on shooting a basketball, lifting weights or swinging a bat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

It's always possible someone freely volunteering .  Imagine hanging out a gym and offering other  adults advice on shooting a basketball, lifting weights or swinging a bat.  

Well said. And beyond being unwelcome for me the disruption becomes a new distraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst example came a couple of days after a lesson years ago. I'm about 2 feet off the practice green, practicing a SW chip to a pin about 10 feet on. Idea is to pop the ball just onto the green, and the loft will hopefully check up the ball enough to prevent it from running away.

Some guy comes up to me - with his 5-year-old son in tow, of course - and says, "You really should be chipping with a 7 iron."

I try to explain that I'm working to a close-in cup. 

He says he's an 8 HDCP, and knows what he's talking about.  I wave Dad-man over and tell him to butt out. He gets huffy, but I just walk away.

The kid saves the day. "Daaaa-d, let's go home!" They were gone in sixty seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was a time when that would've bugged the crap out of me.  I had my "range routine" . .I would go find the farthest away empty stall.  I did not want to be bothered.  

I don't really feel that way about it anymore - as my swing has gotten better I've stopped becoming so self-aware at the range (not that you are - but I was).  During my "self conscious" times - it would've thrown me off big time just thinking that somebody was paying attention to me - like ruined my whole practice session.  

FWIW - I certainly would not approach anybody at the range with swing advice.  Even if I thought I knew something that could help, I'd keep it to myself.  Who am I? George Gankas?  No, lol . .that's a different driving range.    

    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

 

Funny - I was thinking next time I could turn the tables and offer to evaluate the voluntary instructor first next time....

Show me yours and I'll show you mine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Show me yours and I'll show you mine!

It's never an attractive woman that offers to help for some reason....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

It's never an attractive woman that offers to help for some reason....

Haw! I figured there were three ways this could end, two of them badly! One, the guy just goes away. Two, he punches you in the mouth! Three, he invites you to go for a walk in the woods! This last one is kind of terrifying!

And, yes! You're exactly right! I've never found women to be so full of themselves that they would offer advice when they haven't been asked.

Wait a minute! What the hell am I thinking?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...